The Currently Reading Super Topic

Share your observations, reviews, and random thoughts about what you’re current reading!

Feel free to post anything related to your current read: images, quotes, discussions etc.

Just include spoiler brackets (using the gear icon in the response window) if you want to get all spoilery. :books:

16 Likes

I’m kicking this off! I’m currently (re)reading Interview With The Vampire based on our last #agbukbang episode where Catherine revealed she’d never even heard of it, let alone read it. So we’re planning on reading the first three books in the Vampire Chronicles for this month’s Bukbang.

Also, #mandelaeffect, I was 100% positive it was Interview With A Vampire, not THE Vampire.

Anne Rice - 1976 (!!!)

15 Likes

Do you have any idea how many books I already have to read this month

Edit: It’s on hold at the library

10 Likes

Yes.

8 Likes

Ok my turn!! Currently reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo!

I’m about 200 pages in so far and even though I’m liking the story, I’m having a hard time getting super into it. I’m not sure if it’s the pacing or the jumping around between character perspectives, but it’s just feeling like a slower read to me. That said, I love that I’m getting to see a different, well-developed side of Bardugo’s world, having just finished the Shadow and Bone trilogy, and will definitely keep working my way through this and Crooked Kingdom so I can get to King of Scars!! Because let’s be real here I’m mostly just in it for Nikolai :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

I just purchased Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo but I haven’t broken into it yet. I currently have 5(?) books in my TBR/unfinished pile before I get to it, those being

1. Basque Gender Studies
  2. The War of Art
  3. The Witch’s Book of Self-Care
  4. Sigil Witchery
  5. Weave the Liminal

As you can see, none of these fall in the “fantasy” category but they’re all important to my plans and lifestyle. I’ll update you as I finish them with my thoughts! Two of these were recommendations from @OracleSage.

18 Likes

I’ve got three reads going on right now that aren’t school assigned books! Weave the Liminal is an amazing book that has been really insightful for me already. I also am reading King of Scars right now, and as a MEGA Leigha Bardugo fan, I am absolutely in heaven with all the amazing characters and world building! The other is by far my favorite, and it is a dear friends manuscript. It’s a really compelling piece and I am excited to see it grow!

16 Likes

The title alone has got me :eyes: so I’m excited to add it to my TBR.

10 Likes

download
SX324_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200
my current reads

13 Likes

In between like six different nonfiction books I’m working on, The Black Prism is my current fun, down-time audiobook. (Other people should def read this so we can talk about what color drafters we all are.)

11 Likes

I’m going to have so many new books to read!!!

7 Likes

This has been on my list! I’ll bump it up so we can discuss!

8 Likes

I’m also currently reading King of Scars! I’m about 2/3 of the way through, but have been coming up short on reading time in the last few weeks. On the one hand, I’m hoping to finish soon, but on the other, then I’ll have to wait for the sequel and I have so far only had to wait like, less than a month for a Leigh Bardugo book and I’m perhaps not emotionally prepared…

11 Likes

Welcome to my world! :laurencry: we are in this together :aetherdetermined:

10 Likes

Currently, I’m reading several books at the same time, some for the umptenth time. These books being:

1. House of Night- The Beginning (Book 1 and 2 combined, reread)
  2. How to Treat Magical Creatures
  3. Ancient Magnus Bride- The Golden Yarn
  4. Beautiful Creatures (reread)
  5. How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
  6. The Warrior Heir (reread)
  7. The Merrick Veterinary Manual
  8. The Original Horse Bible
  9. Storey’s Guide to Training Horses (reread)

There’s a lot of them, mostly split between fantasy and my lifestyle. The ones I marked (reread) I most definitely recommend, except for 9. They’re parts of series, but at least to me, good enough that they stand on their own and don’t leave hanging endings.
Ancient Magnus Bride and How a Realist Hero are both Japanese works; first is a manga, last is a light novel.
On a side note, anyone have any good fantasy recommendations they are currently reading?

11 Likes

OOOOOOOOOOOO, the night angel trilogy was great, been super curious

7 Likes

THE NIGHT ANGEL TRILOGY WAS SUPER GOOD!! I got the anniversary edition of it for Christmas and it is such a pretty book. The pages are edged with black and it’s just a whole
lot of yes. It’s so nice to find people who have ever even heard of Brent Weeks.

But yes
Current reads

Currently rereading Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy, but I see he has already been mentioned. He is an incredible author that I have loads of respect for. The reread was prompted by (a) school killing my enjoyment of reading, and desperately needing a genre change (b) I finally own the third book and (c) it’s been some years since I’ve read them sooooo yeah. Good time.

If people want a change of pace a really good poetry book I’ve read recently is ‘Light Filters in: Poems’ by Caroline Kaufman. A shorter read, because poetry, but one of the super cool poetry books I’ve found where the collection of poems tells it’s own overarching narrative. Plus, some very important messages that I very much needed to hear. Page 66 is home too my favourite poem of that book.

If other people want a suggestion of a play, I’m currently studying The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde for a class, which is fun.

12 Likes

Oh! I’m also still technically reading 10% Happier by Dan Harris because I was listening to the audiobook on overdrive and it was due (and therefore auto-returned itself) when i had about 1.5 hours left. So I still want to finish it, but I haven’t decided if I should try to get on the overdrive queue again or get a hardcopy…

9 Likes

This is what I’m reading right now. It takes a look at some of the bloodiest murders committed by women and frames them as people, which doesn’t sound like much when I say it like that, but so often female murderers are seen as sexy vampire types, or “driven by sex”, when really they have all the same motives that men do. It’s macabre, witty, and feminist, and proves the quote “there are no female serial killers” totally wrong. All the good things.

13 Likes

Wait I love The Importance of Being Earnest so much!! I had to read it like three separate times for different classes I think but I didn’t even care because it’s just so fun

11 Likes