Book Recommendation Request Super Topic

So please let me know if I’m not doing this right, I’m still new to forums :sweat_smile: Anyone know if any books that are set in the wild west, but has dinosaurs? Like cowboys on Raptors, native Americans on triceratops. That sort of thing.

16 Likes

You are doing this very right!!! In fact, I’m a little mad I didn’t think of making a recommendations thread myself, since it’s one of my favorite things to do.

That is a specific and intriguing request, I’ll have to do some thinking but I’m sure there’s something out there!!

11 Likes

I only know of Dinosaurs of the Wild West, but that’s an art book and not a novel. I have to ask…why dinosaurs in the Wild West? :joy: I am incredibly curious now hahaha.

10 Likes

Well, I have close to 300+ hours on Ark: Survival Evolved, my favorite biome being the desert biome that has very western style tools :cowboy_hat_face: and then I keep seeing some art circulate on Facebook that depicts western dinos lol. Like sheriffs on Raptors, and settlers with stegos and whatnot. Plus my wife suggested “The Dinosaur Lords” to me last night which is, according the George R. R. Martin, like Game of Thrones meets Jurassic Park.

11 Likes

Not dinos, but the guys at Sterling & Stone (fellow indie publisher) have a nine-book cowboys and unicorns series called, appropriately, Unicorn Western.

16 Likes

Interesting! Ill look into it. Any western novel at this point would be my first foray into the genre lol

11 Likes

If anyone is curious, this is the art I was talking about. It turns out the artist has an etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/642352221/dinosaurs-of-the-wild-west

13 Likes

I saw that in my digging last night (that I kind of gave up on for sleep)! It looks super cool.

There’s apparently an entire subgenre called weird west where it’s westerns paired with another genre. Supernatural Westerns, Steampunk Westerns… whole bunch of things, but those are the two I remember. Unfortunately the only mention of dinosaurs in any of that was the rise of finding fossils at the time.

12 Likes

Its a lead lol Ill look into it, thanks!

9 Likes

I put some feelers out on facebook as well earlier, in a fantasy group that Im in. They came back with “The Year the cloud fell” series.

10 Likes

Feel free to over take this thread with requests for your own book searches.

10 Likes

Anyone Know any good science fiction novels ?

9 Likes

Do you prefer hard or soft sci-fi?

7 Likes

What’s the difference?

7 Likes

If you’re into military as well, and video games; the halo novels are great. Also I could recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, though it’s a tough read due to when it was written. It is written very proper and gentlemanly.

8 Likes

Hard sci-fi is more about technology. Lots of technobabble, with the importance of whatever technology or machine taking the forefront, and speculation on how the technology would work in real life. Soft sci-fi is more about the human element. It usually turns more ethical, or focuses on how people react to an emerging technology.
If for example, the setting was a group of engineers working on a supercomputer, a hard sci-fi novel would approach it like “this is the computer. this is how the computer works. These are the people building the computer. This is how the computer takes over the world and how the engineers disassembled it.”
A soft sci-fi novel might be more along the lines of “these are people working on a computer. These are ethical dilemmas encountered by the people. This is how the computer influences society. This is why they decided to shut down the computer and this is how people felt about it.”
Nowadays most books have elements of both, but still generally lean towards one or the other.

9 Likes

I enjoyed the Halo novels too. I’ve never played the games but I’ve read all the books.
I might be tempted to put those in the “hard” category because of how thoroughly the armour, weapons, and spartan technology is described.

9 Likes

I would agree with you there. My favorite series from the universe is the Kilo-five trilogy. It’s not from any of the games, and I’d say, based on your description, it’s soft sci-fi

7 Likes

I think I actually don’t have those ones. Time to scour the bookstores. :deirdreexcited: my favourite used place can probably find them for me.

6 Likes

They’re a few years old, so probably.

6 Likes