The Road to Fragment Thirteen: Sullivan's Letter & The Chronocompass

This is why I need you in my life.

4 Likes

We all bring something unique to this team, which is why we’re going to beat the Storm and whichever jerk is running that operation.

4 Likes

Two things Augustus. 1) I do think that our only current lead is trying to get into contact with Tinkerdown and/or onto their site. As much as I agree that we can’t message him from the Dawson site, there may be another way and asking about it shouldn’t hurt.

1. I don’t think Augernon’s actually using the site to speak to us. I think he’s getting our messages as emails, at least that’s what the first reply seems to suggest. “Sorry, hey, go a email”. This may suggest that if anyone should be sendin attachments, it’s us.

It strikes me as odd that he didn’t see the name attached to the message, seen as the fields on the site ask for a name.

8 Likes

I guess what I need help understanding is what we do with Tinkerdown’s contact information once we get it.

1 Like

I think the fact that we can send attachments is very important and we should probably look into it more

1 Like

I agree, but I think we need to go with @Endri’s suggestion and focus first and foremost on getting a feel for their progress before we do anything else.

5 Likes

I totally agree, we need to know what’s going on on their end first

Okay, maybe I was wrong before and maybe vague isn’t the way here. We want to know what’s happening and if we can get on their fragment run. So, maybe we should just ask him. Like literally, “What happened to the forum? What is looking for you and why? Can you help us get approved with Tinkerdown so we can help you?”

4 Likes

I think the shift may be a good idea. If we don’t ask we may wind up wasting time we don’t have.

5 Likes

I agree with @Nimueh 's most recent line of questioning. Remember the book’s fragments (and Sullivan’s hints) have almost always sent us towards people who need help. In the course of helping them, we get our fragments.

The key question I would think is how can we help them in their current situation. Without destroying space and time, of course. Heck, we may have ‘already’ helped them, and the only reason Augie is alive now and was capable of warning Ascender is because we saved them.

Trust in the flow of magic. We’re talking to Augie for a reason, and that will become apparent if we help him out as best we can.

7 Likes

Joradian Safeguards for everyone! Kidding.

But… really.

8 Likes

You know that’s not a bad idea. We can send attachments. We could in theory send him the safeguard spell. Just say we dug it up in a library. Of course, they might already be using one.

2 Likes

I disagree - there was no indication in Augernon’s discussion with Martin during the Consolatory Tea Time spell that indicated that he had any help from the future. Here’s a re-post of that conversation to get everybody up to speed:

5 Likes

This may, again, be my savior complex at work. But maybe part of our purpose in being connected to Augernon, of all people, is to help them survive.

4 Likes

When done properly, no one knows they have help from the future. :wink:

Augie stood up to the storm allowing Ascender and others to escape alive and non-memory wiped. I’m just saying it’s a possibility he did that and lived with a bit of help. We still don’t know the mechanics of the encounter.

Anyway, that’s a future bridge. We need more grounded information first.

10 Likes

And what do we say? “We’re from the future. You have to sacrifice everything you love, have all of your mental faculties erased, develop what sounds more or less like epilepsy, so we can continue on your work?”

2 Likes

Hey @Nimueh. I was thinking the same thing as @Endri about establishing a timeline. Could we maybe tweak/add to the message to ask specifically which fragment they’re working on?
The fact that their forum is down makes me believe that the Storm has already targeted them at the time Augie gets our messages. :worried:

6 Likes

If we “help” him sacrifice his sanity to stand up to the Storm and allow Ascender to escape, then not only are we possibly interfering with the past, we are actually interfering with his free will.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that at all. I have no inclination to tell him we are connected to the future. But we weren’t connected to them for no reason. I’m just as sketched out by the idea of messing with the past as you are, but this qualifies as “the most dangerous magiq” in its own right.

AND quite frankly, maybe this is just Guild Pride, but I have serious doubts that anything we say could ever stop him from being willing to make the same sacrifice a hundred times. Even if he knew in advance what it would cost him. He did it because it was the only acceptable choice to him. He is a protector by nature.

6 Likes

Honestly? Not as the first pass, but if it eventually comes to it. Yes.

I’d more phrase it as 'We know what will come to pass. You’re going to defend your two families in a valiant struggle so they can live. It will come at great personal cost, but your actions will lay the foundation so that we can reopen the door and bring Magiq back to this world."

Heck, I’d sign up for that. Sounds like Augie would too.

But like I said…that’s a LONG way down the path. We’ve only done step 1 here. Let’s do step 2. We can worry about step 45 after step 44.

6 Likes