The Currently Reading Super Topic

I’ve recently started reading In Defense of Plants by Matt Candeias. He explains both the biology and ecological importance of plants by following his own experience discovering and learning about different types of plants. It’s broken up into nice, easy to read sections which I appreciate because I tend to read in small pieces at a time. Its also I small book (about the height of my hand) so its easy to take with me to work for reading on breaks, and has a cool line-drawing style cover.

Edit: here’s a picture of the cover

6 Likes

That book sounds relevant to my interests, @BrokenVoid ! This is my most recent new book. Someone, somewhere recommended it, but I can’t remember who or where. image

8 Likes

I just ordered In Defense of Plants from our local indie bookseller. :smiley:

4 Likes

Awesome! The author also has a podcast by the same name, and he was a guest on the podcast This Podcast Will Kill You, which is a pathology podcast I really like.

5 Likes

TPWKY is one of my favorite podcasts. They do quite a few cross-over episodes.

4 Likes

Okay.
So.
I just finished Six of Crows.
Damn.

I was just starting to root for Jesper+Wylan. Does Jesper ever find redemption? Does Wylan stay permanently altered?

5 Likes

Just absolutely barreled my way through Sanderson’s Skyward series, or at least the two that are out. I’m looking forward to the next in the series. It’s a fun Y/A sci fi series, and it’s got some really interesting worldbuilding I want to learn more about!

8 Likes

Discworld entry book request please! @sapphire
I started reading one years ago that included death in it but lost the device I was reading on and never picked back up. Not for lack of enjoyment…mainly because I am a scattered hobbit that will read 5 books at a time and rarely focus or finish fast unless I also miss sleep.

5 Likes

So as mentioned I read haphazardly and finish as I please.
Hunter of Light (@OneDeepABN) one of his tops so of course I have to read.

100 wicked little witch stories (found this treasure 15 years ago and have reread many a times as it doesnt have much horror in it but still multiple themes)

Where did you go Bernadette (just finished this gem was quite unexpectedly enjoyable)

The great hunt (because always in a constant flux of rereading the wheel of time though it has been awhile)

And of course now Flora and Fauna!

Now off to read

6 Likes

@LoliOwar of course :smiley: Sorry in advance for the small essay :stuck_out_tongue:

Death appears in quite a few, as the main character it might have been Mort or Reaper Man. Both good reads, both can be read alone(I’ve just finished Reaper Man for the Nth time)
I suspect you’d remember less Death and more Susan / other themes if it had been Soul Music, Hogfather, or Thief of Time.

You could give Witches Abroad a go. It’s one of the witches books, pretty fast paced, can be read in a little over a day. Themes include fairy tales, fairy godmothers, voodoo, carnival, narrative causality etc The story gives you a great introduction to the witches, what they’re like and what drives them, while also being mostly light hearted and playing with a bunch of tropes.

Another option would be Going Postal. More steady pace than Witches Abroad and lead by one of the most cheeky/charismatic characters in discworld. Moist is charged with brining back the possibly cursed Postal Service and all the challenges there in. Themes include corporate shenanigans(both good and bad), modernisation, human rights, the Gods, hope and redemption.

Both can be read as standalone books. If you like the characters, Witches Abroad is the 3rd book in the witches story arc and there are plenty that follow on from it.
I wouldn’t stress about going back, there is some bits of background they add to some of the characters, but its not essential I would however recommend reading the Witches books in order from here.

Going Postal is the first of the Moist Von Lipwig books and has also been made into TV/Film by Sky, it was an ok adaptation.

One last one, if you like crime fiction, Guards Guards, first of the City Watch story arc. This arc, I think, has the greatest character progression, so I would recommend reading these in order. Each story is has elements of your typical police novel, but Pratchett doesn’t skip the grit. He tackles serious personal and systemic problems with humour wit and satire. On the surface they a good fun romp around the city and occasionally the Discworld, but there is a lot in these and I’m still picking up details and philosophies having read them over and over and over.

7 Likes

You never ever have to apologize for talking to me about books! I am however waking up and not quiet coherent.

Mort is the book I started though with your other mentions I am probably going to find City Watch and then start the witches. So many options, so few hours I can read and not lose sleep. :books: :coffee:

5 Likes

I finally finished Song of Achilles, which was lovely and heartbreaking, and I tried to start a few fantasy books on my TBR, but ended up diving into Project Hail Mary because I do love some grounded sci-fi and haven’t read any in a while.

10 Likes

I got a hold of Circe before Son of Achilles. I’m so excited to read Son of Achilles now.

5 Likes

Same!

4 Likes

Just finished The Young Elites, and tomorrow will get tucked into Furyborn. I’m four books ahead of schedule according to my Goodreads challenge; it will be satisfying if I end up needing to raise my challenge.

5 Likes

I finally got my hands on some Dragon Age novels that I’ve been looking for over the past couple years. One of the main writers for the series (David Gaider) got permission (and help? I don’t know how that works but the company has its name on them too) to publish canon novels set around the games.

Since I was a little late to the train, some of these were published a hot minute ago (2009 for this one in particular) and are for a niche audience technically, making them tougher to find.

Anywho, I finally found some that I’ve been dying to read that are prequels.
Specifically,The Stolen Throne, and it’s going to make replaying the first game entirely different because oh no one of the main antagonists in the game is in the story and I would low key die for his younger self. It makes everything he does so much more justified oh noooooo so I’m excited for that.

Probably going to crush it tonight, and move on to The Calling tomorrow night when I should be sleeping instead.

In case y’all thought my Dragon Age obsession wasn’t something I actively cultivated.

9 Likes

I’ve just started Song of Achilles and I’m…very intrigued. Aside from knowing the Achilles Heel story, my most formative introduction to Achilles was in summer shakespeare training in high school, doing scene work from Troilus and Cressida which is mostly from the Trojan side of things and particularly paints Achilles pretty poorly. So it’s definitely going to be interesting seeing the story from this perspective.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t say Song of Achilles paints him in a vastly more positive light so much as a more nuanced and interesting light. :cjheart:

7 Likes

I just finished They Both Die At The End. Oh my Gods I cried. And I never cry while reading. Highly recommend.
I’m also starting on Stephen King’s newest novel, “Later”. I’m a big King fan and I am pumped. :)))

5 Likes

Just finished reading Kingdom of Ash, the last book in throne of glass series.
I don’t think any book has taken me on that much of an emotional roller coaster and made my eyes leak so much in both sadness and joy.
This series is definitely going to leave me with a book hangover for a few days.

4 Likes