The Currently Reading Super Topic

I dig the minimalist life, experiences over things! Working to be better at that myself. Yes add them ! Also look into the two volume prequel graphic novel by Marvel that goes with the series.

9 Likes

I’ve never read Pratchett just because Discworld always felt like a daunting undertaking, so Good Omens was the first of his works I’ve read. My high school attempt was my first exposure to Neil Gaiman, but the first book I finished by him was Neverwhere (which I started around when I joined Basecamp :cjheart:).

I bought Norse Mythology that August and tore through it because I enjoyed it so much. Then, I read Stardust that winter (because I’d seen the movie years ago and decided to read it before rewatching) and really enjoyed it. I took a break from his books (and reading for fun) for a while, but I finally got around to reading American Gods last year ave then returned to Good Omens. I really enjoy Gaiman’s work, but I’m not sure when (or what) I’ll come back to it with.

12 Likes

@Remus @eternalhearts
Discworld might be less intimidating if you break it down into groups based on main characters, that way I think the longest run of book is 8.

Not sure if you read Brandon Sanderson, but Discworld and the Cosmere, in book terms not geographic terms, are the same thing. You wouldn’t think of Mistborn and Stormlight Archive being the same series. I’ll grant the interlinking in Discworld is more obvious and mostly on 1 world but there are different series on Discworld. Most of the reading order graphics either group them or at least use different colours to follow an arc, eg ,City Watch, Wizards, Witches, Death.

Reading order is nice, but they are all work as standalone. Read a blurb pick it up if it looks interesting regardless of where it fits in. Most of the books are pretty slim, and can be read in 1-3 days.

I always have Discworld on audiobook as does my partner, we’ve been reading/listening for years and we still find new stuff, word play suddenly clicks, you spot another round world reference, you learn a bit of history that gives context to a section, honestly you could read them in every plausible order and still find details on the last read that you missed on every other.

I promise to stop being the pushy frothy fangirl for Discworld. Having said that, I’m happy to suggest Discworld entry books based on normal reading habits, just drop me a pm :slight_smile:

14 Likes

You’re not being pushy at all @Sapphire , this is very good to know & is helpful to get started since I’ve been curious.

10 Likes

Mini Ash!!! :cjheart:

11 Likes

I’ve been enjoying my slow listen through of Fellowship of the Ring, but today I started The Burning God, the final piece to R.F. Kuang’s Poppy War trilogy.

Two pages in and I am chilled. It’s going to be so good.

14 Likes

Oh Discworld is amazing! I fell in love with the whole collection through the death trilogy, and have been picking through the books semi-slowly (trying to pace myself :rofl:) ever since!

12 Likes

I already had Good Omens on my wishlist. But I went to hang out with a friend last week, and his cousin gave him access to her Amazon Prime account.
He let me binge all of the show in one day.
I need the book.
Also I’m in love with the show’s theme song being an adaptation of Shostakovich’s second waltz.
Also also: When I do get the book, I will never imagine anyone else but David Tennant as Crowley. I love David Tennant.

In other news, I saw this book advertised on Instagram, looked it up on GoodReads, and I Must read it:
The Lost Apothecary

13 Likes

Just finished chapter 27 of Elantris.
What happened between Kiin and Eventeo?!

OMG Hrathen drank the poison whatishedoing?!?

4 Likes

Speaking of Brandon Sanderson book parties to which I am very late, I’m three parts into The Way of Kings, and like…holy crap I love this book? I usually have a hard time with books that follow multiple characters’ perspectives, with a few notable exceptions, and it looks like this is one of them. The world-building is worked into the narrative so neatly, and the main characters alternately make me cackle like a madwoman and want to scoop them up and tell them softly how beautiful their souls are?? I keep trying to pace myself and then failing completely and jumping right back in.

10 Likes

You have so much great stuff ahead!

4 Likes

I just finished Elantris.

I really wish Galladon had more of a backstory. Sanderson spent enough time on Raoden being curious about Galladon’s past that it honestly felt like a build-up to more of a story than was eventually given. Anti-climactic in a way.
On the other hand I’m in love with Hrathen’s Javert parallels.

I really can’t wait to see where the next book goes!

Especially considering this book pretty much feels like a standalone… Everything got wrapped up nice and neat. I would have spread out the return of Elantris over the entire trilogy, instead of it happening in one book. Makes me wonder what the next book could possibly contain.

6 Likes

My copy of New World Witchery just arrived! It’s a must-have for anyone interested in folklore or cultural magical practices in North America. (Or if you want to know what happened to your ancestors’ Old World folktales and belief systems when they emigrated to a new continent.) Cory Thomas Hutcheson, the author, has a Ph.D. in American Studies with a concentration in folklore, religion, and ethnicity. He is also one of the two hosts of the long-running podcast, New World Witchery.

And he includes the practice of telling the bees, @CJB! Fun synchronicity on the day that The Briar Society: Chapter One was released. (Which I may have mentioned today in the New World Witchery forums for their edification.)

12 Likes

Whoah! I love magic and all the synchronicity that comes along with it. Thank you for sharing this. :cjheart:

8 Likes

I’ve started “Rule of Wolves” by Leigh Bardugo (sequel to “King of Scars” in the grishaverse books)…I’m maybe 150 pages in, so a quarter of the way through…and just AHHHHHHH the stakes! so high!!

4 Likes

Oh thank you for the reminder.
For some reason my pre-order got cancelled and forgot to do anything about it, off to correct that now :hermanthumbs:

Currently reading The Mortal World, on my first read though the invisible library series.
Still really enjoying it, think I’d describe it as a good simple read, not meant in a nasty way, there’s plenty going on but they do play a lot on narrative tropes.

4 Likes

After Elantris, I read The Phantom Tollbooth because I felt the need to return to it. After that was Othello.
Now I’m reading The Borrowers Afloat as a palate cleanser.
What next, what next.

5 Likes

For my class right now I am reading a handful of books, but I am really enjoying To the Lighthouse by Virginia Wolfe and Under the Volcano by Malcom Lowry. For personal enjoyment I am also finally cracking open Howl’s Moving Castle for the first time! I am loving it so far.

11 Likes

I listened to Howl’s Moving Castle on audiobook for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was such a delight!! Hoping to watch the movie for the first time soon too!!

11 Likes

Hades’ Daughter by Sara Douglass.
First in the Troy Game series.
Not my first time reading it, but it’s been a while.

6 Likes