Calling the Corners is a spell in the Briarverse. Also known as a Grounding Hex, it requires six Mountaineers for grounding, one representing each of the six magimystic elements, and an incantation. It was first performed by the Mountaineers during The Monarch Papers to free Deirdre Green from being shielded by magiq.
Calling of the Corners was found at the Morgan Library, hidden by Sullivan Green inside of Seven Cradle Songs. It was retrieved by Cole Sumner, who posted the spell on the Basecamp 33 Forum and gave the letter to Deirdre Green in person. The spell was used by Sullivan on Deidre when she was a child to protect her from magic, but he created a loophole in the spell to reverse it. By performing the spell a second time, it could be reversed.
The spell required six mountaineers for grounding:
- Brendon used a solar calculator he had carried for years to represent the ability of Light to bring energy and power to the world.
- Mike, representing the Elemental force of Ore, used a whiskey stone his family had brought back from Ireland.
- Chordie invoked Thought through the use of a treasured jacket that carried many personal memories attached to it.
- MegaDraco used a watch given to him at a major turning point in his own life to measure the Tides of Time.
- Crytter created a beautiful shrine to the elemental force of Aether involving feathers, smoke and crystal.
- Kelsey embodied Wild with a Bastet cat statue from Egypt to represent the untamed and timeless qualities of nature.
In preparation for the Day of Change in Fragment Fifteen, the Mountaineers once again cast the Calling of the Corners spell as a method of protection before facing the Storm.
- Ashburn represented the ability of Light with a small keychain light that she got during her first marathon. It helped her find her way through the scavenger hunt at the end of the race, as well as all of the times after that she used it at work backstage.
- OracleSage represented Aether with a Dream Jar that was given to him as a gift by a dear friend.
- Griffin, representing the Elemental force of Ore, used a necklace handmade from clay and he always carries with him. He also added a geode from the creek in the woods behind his great grandfather’s house.
- Ravenwing invoked Thought through the use of a mug gifted to her by her parents as a memento of home.
- Ginger used a figurine covered in images of suns and moons, named Sky of Enchantment, from The Trail of Painted Ponies, to represent the Tide-controlling moon.
- CJ_Heighton embodied Wild with a bottled plant, representing the embodiment of nature.
The Mountaineers used Calling the Corners again as an attempt to protect and separate the consciousnesses of Woolie the ghost and Saberlane after Woolie had appeared in the Ackerly Green offices and accidentally latched onto Saberlane’s mind.
First look upon the red horizon
All awakened by my force
I am the mother and the son, the rising sun my source.
Morning’s called me many names
Gravity and untouched things
Though I am but a force unseen carried on imagined wings
As fire hangs midway in the sky
Move the ground to summon me
But only fire and force will show what I can truly be.
Day grows weary, night awakes
Five moons call to the water
A careful step upon the land but sea is too my daughter
Night black curtains drape the world
Memory and misery, rage and reason too
All are born inside of me, and I am born in you
The darkened world is stirring now
Before dawn breaks its silence
Life and death move hand in hand, the minuet of violence