What is the Most Guild-Typical Quirky Item You Own?

weirdly, i will have to find it again for a photo reference because i’ve kept it so long- i have a very copper-rusted penny where it’s perfectly blue-green corroded over lincoln’s face to look like a skull where his face should be. i couldn’t really toss it with the rest of my coins, it looked too interesting to pass up. i feel like if i can find it again in my things, i’ll have to make it a necklace, or something.

10 Likes

That sounds awesome, I’d love to see that!

7 Likes

I suppose this probably explains my hourglass necklace… (I’d take a pic, but I’m not sure where it is atm.)

8 Likes

For a while there my most Guild typical item was my drawing compass kit:

But now I actually have something I made (well, painted and decorated, but still). My Magic(k/q) Box:

They hold everything I need to create or gain inspiration from something, and the latter holds and IS so I feel this fits my Flinter pretty well :hermanthumbs:

13 Likes

I’ve already shown off my Tarot decks, plants, and jewelry keepsakes - aside from those I also have a heaping amount of crystals, including pendulums even though pendulums don’t like being my divination tools (so then why do the pretty swing-y stones keep jumping into my shopping cart? Am I just a change of scenery? Sheesh!) :joy: I also buy a lot of board games, and my favorite ones always have either a) a bizarre random element that could completely change the game without warning or b) very complicated rules which demand creative strategy maneuvers.

11 Likes

The most Thornmouth thing I can think of at the moment I have is a fancy magnifying glass necklace my husband got me at Spa Con a few years ago. It hangs beside my shelf where some of my herbalism goodies are.

14 Likes

Yep, that would be right at home on a Thornmouth guild coat!

I’m digging those stone goblets, too! Awesomesauce!

11 Likes

Thank you! I found them at a local crystal shop for pretty cheap, so I nabbed them. :grin:

10 Likes

It’s not a physical object, actually. It’s a story. One I wrote years ago, after my dad passed away. I was trying to make sense of it, how a man who was so vibrant could be drained of life and vitality and then just be… dead. It’s a story of loss, and trauma, and destruction, but also of processing all of that, getting up off the floor and saying “Well, what next?” It’s a story about never giving up in the eye of the storm, when all is chaos. It’s a story about listening to what the others and the world is telling you, and then doing what you know is right. It’s a story about finding your freedom in family, whatever shape they take. A story about risks, and grabbing chances with both hands when the chips are down.
The main character is totally a Flinterforge, but her magic talking tree guardian is Balimoran all the way down.
https://www.amazon.com/Ellie-Magic-Oak-C-G-Webb-ebook/dp/B01MR9HDUR

10 Likes

Writing can be so cathartic, and it’s so neat that you have been able to not only process but also share with others through the story! It seems fitting that it’s based on a folk tale as well, with magic and chaos and all the challenges therein. I’d love to add it to my list to read!

8 Likes

I have a replica of Hermoine’s time-turner that feels very thornmouth-y to me but also my books upon books, I think my oldest one I have is from either 1895 or 1902.

10 Likes

One of my favorite little gadgets that I think is fairly Flinter-y is a bobbin winder made specifically for putting fiber onto lace bobbins for lace-making. It’s just this little wooden apparatus made for this and only this, and it looks almost like a tiny spinning wheel.
I haven’t had time to make lace recently, so I’ll also mention this model of an exhibit I made a few years ago.

I made it as part of a program at the Shedd Aquarium and it ended up getting used as a jumping-off point for a real exhibit design.

13 Likes

That’s so cool!! I grew up in Chicago and have very fond memories of the Shedd :cjheart:

8 Likes

@Wyvern what sort of lace do you make? I make a fair bit myself, but I usually crochet it based on vintage patterns.

8 Likes

I do bobbin lace! I’ve tried crochet in the past but it’s just one of the few fiber arts that I can’t seem to get the hang of. I’m also not very good at knitting, but that at least I can technically do. This is what bobbin lace looks like (I had to buy soooo many pins):

I have plans to try and make a scarf this way but with yarn!

12 Likes

:scream::scream::scream: that’s so cool!!!

6 Likes

Does a horse count?

10 Likes