Tarot/Oracle/Divination

Since a lot of us are Tarot/Oracle readers, I wanted to create a thread where we could talk about our decks - but why limit it to decks? If you use pendulums, runes, boards, or tea leaves, drop a pic or a story about your experience with divination tools, et. al.
These are my babies in order of how long I’ve had them.

The Wild Unknown deck was a gift when I moved for grad school. I’ve found it to be very friendly and conversational in readings, it likes holding people’s hands when they’re going through hard times, and helping them see their own innate goodness.
The Zillich deck I picked up when one of my friends moved away and we were both feeling a little codependent about the situation. She picked up the Chrysalis tarot at the same time. Zillich has been my most mentally challenging deck; it likes to climb through my subconscious and toy with my pre-existing notions of archetypes and epic journeys. It likes to make me think about things from multiple perspectives until I come up with a new viewpoint of my own. Very meditative.
The Synesthesia deck is my newest, and possibly most potent. I’ve only done one reading with it so far, and it essentially told my friend “Stop asking when you’ll get a boyfriend - you don’t want a boyfriend, you want a long term, supportive life-partner, and you can have it as soon as you stop lying to yourself about that fact.” Bit harsh, but direct, and eager to give people the answer they need more than the answer they want.
What do your tools prefer reading about? What are their personalities?

17 Likes

My people! I don’t have them all in one place, atm, but I think I have at least 10?

9 Likes

They do tend to collect, don’t they? :blush:
Which ones do you use most often? What drew you to the decks you have now?
:flower_playing_cards::crystal_ball:

7 Likes

I’m very much out of practice, but I tend to be drawn more towards oracles and Lenormands than traditional tarot. The one I have the most work with is Brian Froud’s Faery Oracle. 🧚🏻‍♀️ They’re sassy and brutally honest.

10 Likes

Ooh, they sound delightful! I’m always drawn to faery decks, but none of them have decided to come home with me yet. :woman_shrugging: Sounds like you have a lovely relationship with them :fairy::smile:
I don’t guess I’ve ever heard of Lenormand decks, actually :thinking: What are they like?

8 Likes

I’m honestly still not sure what the deal
with Lenormands are, tbh. I haven’t spent much time with mine, yet. This is the set I have, though. Skullgarden I got all the separate bits as they came out on Kickstarter. LOVE the artist.

8 Likes

:star_struck: Those are GORGEOUS! Pardon me while I wipe up my card envy drool :drooling_face:

6 Likes

I wish I could say I use more sophisticated means of choosing decks, but at this point I mostly just stalk Kickstarter for new decks and buy ‘em if they’re purty. :joy:

7 Likes

That’s how I ended up with the Synesthesia deck! I liked the sparkly-shadow-rainbow cards :laughing:

8 Likes

Kickstarter is why someday I will be living on the streets, I swear. Lol

6 Likes

Speaking of Kickstarter…I’ve been absolutely frothing at the mouth for The Tessera Oracle ever since I couldn’t afford the first batch on Kisckstarter. :drooling_face:

9 Likes

Responding to track. It’s bedtime now, I’ll post mine tomorrow

5 Likes

The Tessera Oracle is stunning oh my goodness I want

8 Likes

@Kallisti oh no what have you done, I want it now :joy:

7 Likes

Woah yeah those are really cool, but crazy expensive even for just 12.

5 Likes

I have a full Homestuck themed oracle deck, as well as the major arcana from the Persona 3 game.

6 Likes

I finally got around to taking photos of my stuff!!!

So, top left is my main tarot deck, and you can probably see what drew me to them, lol. Top left are my runes. I made them myself using quartz I bought from my last orchestra trip to Italy and black nail varnish (it works, okay!). Bottom left is my first set of tarot cards (Pagan Tarot). I bought them to learn with, but have since found they’re not so great with me. Bottom right is my oracle deck. I love the art on these cards, so gorgeous, and the edges are gold!

11 Likes

I LOVE SKULLGARDEN!! Have you seen the new Pathfinder Oracle they’re doing?! so prettyful! (And I think it’s in pre-order right now…)

7 Likes

I know someone else who has the Arthurian tarot as well! Stunner :star_struck:

I’m so impressed you made your own runes! I’ve been tentatively courting the idea of getting into runes, but I always get an intimidating vibe from them when I’ve handled them in-store :pleading_face: What has your experience with them been like?

6 Likes

My first experience with divination was with runes. I find that although I don’t get quite the insight of tarot, they’re much more responsive for me than my decks. I’ve found myself more often than not asking a question of the runes, and then getting clarification from tarot. I also have a terrible memory, so having to remember 25 runes compared to 78 cards is great (though I still need a guide to help me with both runes and tarot)!

TBH, divination is a very personal thing though, so really it’s whatever you feel most comfortable using.

7 Likes