The General Discussion Super Topic

I have Martin wax melts in my office for the same reason! No candles allowed in the workplace, but the wax melts work EASILY just as well as the candles. Also, Happy Cakeday @BrokenVoid! Thanks for all you do around here.

10 Likes

Thank you! Sorry Iā€™m just seeing that now, itā€™s the last week of classes for the semester so things are crazy. After this just one more semester to go until that sweet degree!

edit: I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve been around here for two years already!

12 Likes

Shadow and Bone series premiering on Netflix tomorrow! Iā€™m definitely going to check it out, but having just recently read the books Iā€™m not sure how much Iā€™ll be able to commit to it. Probably depends on how long each season will be.

9 Likes

Does anyone have recommendations about what order to read the books? Iā€™m downloading the libby appā€¦

6 Likes

Theyā€™re two separate series, just in the same world! Iā€™m not sure how the series is going to combine the two yet, but I read the Shadow and Bone trilogy first, and I would recommend starting there as I think it gives a good foundation for the Grishaverse (and the books are shorterā€”Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom are FAT). Granted, I never finished Crooked Kingdom, but I hope toā€¦somedayā€¦until then, very much looking forward to watching the series!!

9 Likes

Seconded! The Six of Crows duology doesnā€™t really have spoilers for the original trilogy, but thereā€™s some light easter eggs thatā€™ll make more sense if you have that out of the way first. Also, if youā€™re just looking to get what you need to know for the show, from what Iā€™ve heard it wonā€™t go beyond content of the first book in the original trilogy, and while the SoC characters are in the show, itā€™s an original plotline set as a prequel for that duology.

9 Likes

That new card feeling! Canā€™t use libby on my ereader, but I found a couple other library apps that Iā€™ll try out and if anyone wants, report back on.

7 Likes

Ooh yeah, if the apps are good, tell us. Libby doesnā€™t have what I want all the time or the wait is soooo long, it would be good to have back-ups to check.

7 Likes

I think this discussion belongs in the Bookish categoryā€¦ Here!

4 Likes

So apparently I ordered the BoB twiceā€¦ oops. I thought the first time I only got the digital version so I later ordered the hardcover too, but then two separate books arrived today so I guess I ordered the book the first time too. I might take the extra one to the local bookstore so someone can stumble upon it.

11 Likes

I now have both TMP 1 and The Book of Briars and I need to express my appreciation for the wonderful velvety covers. I donā€™t know what that texture is called, but itā€™s the best.

7 Likes

I second! And even though I missed all of TMP and never saw the electronic BoB, I still like to take the dust jacket off the Book of Briars.

7 Likes

OMG, Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one. Those are the matte perfect bound covers from my printer, Lightning Source.

Thatā€™s the version youā€™ll get from ordering directly from me, or on occasion from Amazon. Amazonā€™s Kindle matte covers arenā€™t quite as velvety but ( :shushing_face: ) sometimes they fulfill orders through Lightning Source if their own printing houses are backed up and thatā€™s when the buttery goodness happens.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever mentioned this, but I basically canā€™t touch glossy paper products. The feeling makes my skin crawl. Same with styrofoam, catalogs, etc. I canā€™t flip through ā€œhigh-endā€ glossy magazines because the feel of the pages makes me want to ever-so-politely remove my fingers with pruning shears. :cjheart:

10 Likes

ā€œTell us youā€™re a writer without saying youā€™re a writer.ā€

Also, thatā€™s kind of how I feel about some of the cosplay fabric at the craft store.

8 Likes

High-end glossy covers have a habit of retaining fingerprints, which annoys the ever-living love out of me. Give me ALL the matte!

6 Likes

My equivalent of that feeling is when ice is really cold and sticks to your finger a little. Gives me an absolutely visceral reaction every time.

6 Likes

To also validate the weird textures that make you want to launch yourself into the void and never return:

My weird texture is microfibre clothes or dish towels. I ā€¦ donā€™t know what to tell you. I feel that particular kind of microfibre fabric with my fingers/hand and somehow feel as though Iā€™m suffocating. Itā€™s the worst.
The pandemic has made it sooooo much worse - my hands are super dry and cracked from excessive washing and the microfibre just sticks to them and I die internally and thatā€™s the only clothes we have at work for surfaces or dishes (so the most used.) I can handle them when wet. Itā€™s purely when theyā€™re dry. Absolutely awful. I have to hold my breath when I touch them and thatā€™s usually to throw them at someone else to fold and put away.

10 Likes

I have many sensory issues but the most irritating is that nothing wet or slimy can touch the palm of my hand. The fingertips I can tolerate. The palm? Much scrubbing under hot water to get rid of the memory of the touch (becasue it almost sticks to the skin). I can usually avoid it but if I have to scrub a table or wash dishes? Eugggh no. I keep a box of rubber gloves on standby for when things are unavoidable, and that sort of helps, but not entirely.

10 Likes

OMGOMFOMG, dry microfiber is the WORST.

10 Likes

Dry towels, dry microfiber, those reversible blankets with the faux fleece material on the undersideā€¦ :grimacing:

7 Likes