The General Discussion Super Topic

Wow, it definitely looks pretty magical!

11 Likes

:cjheart: wow!

11 Likes

Pretty exciting delivery today…!

21 Likes

They look so at home there!!

Heads up, annual TBS members are receiving their pins with their membership certificates (monthly members will be receiving certificates digitally) but we’ve had some shipping delays with our packaging materials[spoiler] (thanks, coronavirus)[/spoiler] so they’re a little late going out! We’re still hoping to send them out by end of tomorrow at the latest. We so appreciate everyone’s patience :cjheart:

19 Likes

Aaaaand they’re off! Dropping the hard copies in the mail right now, and all of the digital copies have been sent out via the email you used to sign up with. We’re so excited for everyone to see them!!

20 Likes

I literally had a dream about receiving mine last night

10 Likes

I’m super excited!!! :cherry_blossom:

9 Likes

18 Likes

guess i shouldve dropped into the briar society this round…
Maybe next time theres an open enrollment!

14 Likes

Anyone else spend 5 minutes today trying to figure out if the font choices in the certificate hold hidden messages? That ‘fi’ combination in 2 words where the ‘i’ is much smaller than every other one triggers me.

No? Just me. Okay then. :tinfoilhat:

18 Likes

Just you. Sorry, @Robert.

13 Likes

I might have if I’d had mine yet… Laments international shippping

10 Likes

I’m assuming everyone in my local post office is too busy panic-buying toilet paper to deliver mine.

8 Likes

Ligatures, man. They get ya every darn time.

7 Likes

Oooohhh is that what it’s called? Thank you. I needed a friday afternoon thing to read up on.

6 Likes

Ligatures are awesome little grace notes, exactly because someone had to be paying attention to know to use one (whether in moveable type or a computer font).

We ain’t dealing with some half-steppin’ clip-art Comic Sans certificate here, Mountie. :wink:

8 Likes

I love ligatures and that’s one reason why that typeface has become one of my new favorites.

11 Likes

Then let me throw out there a little font-nerdery-by-way-of-fiction: Review + Gerritszoon: Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - The Bibliofile. At the bottom of the review, there is a note about a (quasi-fictional) font from the book Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore (by Robin Sloan) called Gerritszoon (really Garamond), and the tales about what happened to the original letter blocks, and the font’s inventor, Aldo Manutius.

To spoil it only a little bit, the letter blocks are the subject of conspiracy theories, and the phrase Manutius used often (“festina lente,” or “make haste slowly”) has come down to us along with the seal of an anchor and dolphin … which is one of the symbols used by Doubleday Books.

But I digress.

12 Likes

I love that book. :slight_smile: I assume you kow the history of the Doves Typeface?

10 Likes

No! This is new to me. Or new-ish, because it sounds a wee bit like what happened in Mr. Penumbra:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Or else a lot of type ends up at the bottom of rivers … (Mr. Penumbra is great, and so is the short story it came from. I even like the short better in some ways.)

Doves is gorgeous. What a great, clear typeface. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

9 Likes