The General Discussion Super Topic

Hey American Mounties are you checking out the Black super moon tonight?!

4 Likes

Black super moon?

Ooh, good for looking at stars tomorrow night (provided the weather holds)!

5 Likes

I tend to view magical genes as more of a candle-light type of dynamic: you can light as many other candles with it as you like, it won’t dim the original candle’s light one bit, neither will the 100th candle’s light be any dimmer than the first. I think magical abilities are more like spiritual: some are more connected to it than others, more adept at directing their talents through intent. Others have an inability to connect/direct due to self-imposed psychological/emotional blocks - or in some few cases, physically incapable possibly due to an illness that keeps them from channeling the appropriate amount needed for more than everyday things.

5 Likes

Basically a black moon is when a second new moon occures in the same month. So The moon will be really big tonight but you won’t be able to see it so it’ll be a great night for stargazing!

7 Likes

That’s tomorrow night! I’m planning a new moon tarot spell

4 Likes

Ohhhh okay I know what’s happened, I’m already in tomorrow and I thought tomorrow was yesterday but tomorrow is actually today :laughing:

6 Likes

Time zones, amirite?

7 Likes

A massive pain in the head! :laughing:

2 Likes

More like timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly stuff

8 Likes

First let’s fix the darn calendar and the year then we can fix the time zone issue :laughing:

So today should be Monday 16th October 12,019! (If calculations are correct)

4 Likes

It’s pretty darn hot for an October

5 Likes

Jumping back in this thread to complain about the Harry Potter lore, because that’s part of my brand now, and also #$!?*$&!.

So, given that wizards haven’t adapted to technology well like, ever, and modern age-based school models have only become normative in the last century, it’s likely that students in Britain who don’t attend Hogwarts are most likely home-taught. Also, the idea that approximately 33% of your population is school children under the age of 18 is absurd. Even considering the smallness of the society and how recently the war with Voldemort took place, the longevity of wizards should make up for some of that. Don’t @ me.

14 Likes

Ah I love Viv’s HP rants :laughing:

6 Likes

There may be some sort of sense in that, actually. Neville thought he “wouldn’t be magic enough” to get into Hogwarts, and his whole family was really glad when he did. Hermione was practicing spells at home to get ahead on her Hogwarts studies - this calls into question if the functionality of the magic detecting spells that got Harry into trouble all the time. If Harry couldn’t slip under that radar, but Hermione did, how is that spell calibrated?
Also, Harry’s generation were the children of the Wizarding Wars - Neville had no parents, Harry Had no parents, most of their generation of wizards lost one or both parents to the war, or to Azkaban in the aftermath. Those statistics are actually pretty generous re: post-war alternative family structures.

8 Likes

@Cj_Heighton you’re big on the larp front would you’ve able to create a thread for it?

6 Likes

I saw Harry Potter and decided to jump into the conversation. #newbie

I have nothing to add. I’m just gunna make it known that I will be hardcore watching for the Harry Potter topics…

Please…Continue :smiley:

8 Likes

Oh feel free to jump in on the conversation! We don’t have any dedicated HP topics atm

5 Likes

I think the war is a fair explanation of the population percentage, except that Hogwarts is so small canonically. Even being generous and assuming every house year has 10-12 students (which canonically is unclear), that puts the student population around 300, give or take a few. So, all of British Wizarding society amounts to more or less 900 people, 1/3 of whom are students between 11and 18, and more of whom are children under that age (assuming some replacement when Harry stopped Voldemort the first time). So that’s, what, 500-600 people running a not-insubstantial government AND a relatively diverse economy? It just seems like a weird scale.

And yes, I know the factoid said 1000 but that seems unlikely given the small number of professors, classes, and students in any given dormitory.

12 Likes

I reckon most of the adults work in the Government consider how big it is :laughing:

6 Likes

What other jobs do they have, besides the government? Most jobs are spin-off branches to the government.

6 Likes