The General Discussion Super Topic

Actually one sec this would be better placed in the food and drink thread

2 Likes

@Rimor most sites fail to translate Welsh.

A lot of people still consider it a dead language despite huge pushes to keep it alive, mandated requirements for bilingual communication, Welsh only schools, requirements for all local authorities and civil servants to be fluent to a certain level.

Shrugs itā€™s getting there, once you know the alphabet and sentence structure itā€™s not a terrible language to learn.
I just have to remember who Iā€™m talking to and switch between south Welsh and gog Welsh, the joys of being in the middle :slight_smile:

Oh and yes tea should be made in a pot, milk second and never ever put in a microwave!

5 Likes

Welsh, Scottish and Irish really need to be protected languages

2 Likes

EBMlQ6sj

mw09394

Omg Iā€™ve just realised that @CJB looks like Gerry Durrell! :scream:

7 Likes

lol, I know the alphabet, and suck at the rest. Love learning languages, terrible at vocab. Plus I took French alongside my compulsory Welsh, so it really messes with your head. (And itā€™s considered more a pain in the backside than a good thing down here to learn Welsh, which I disagree with totally, but :woman_shrugging:)

3 Likes

Iā€™m not actually Welsh born(originally from the Lake District) and learning as an adult.
Found the Welsh lessons provided by the council heavy going and an exercise of memory more than anything else.
Currently learning using SaySomethinginWelsh.com much more organic in its teaching method and taught me so much more in the first couple weeks than the council classes taught me in 2 years.
Everyone in my village speaks Welsh and I think itā€™s more a politeness think than a necessity for me to learn.

3 Likes

Iā€™m definitely gonna check out that website!

2 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s cool! I need to take a look at that website, really need to improve my Welsh. I think itā€™s amazing that youā€™re learning cause others around you speak it. I do somethign similar when I go on holiday, always make sure I learn enough of a language to at least be polite while Iā€™m there. Itā€™s curtesy.

Iā€™m the other end of the spectrum. Iā€™m Welsh born and bred, so Iā€™ve had it shoved down my throat that I must learn Welsh. I donā€™t mind it so much, but itā€™s really turned a lot of my generation against the language unless theyā€™re ā€œsiarad cymraegā€ (a nickname we have for first language speakers). Braely anyone here actually speaks the language though, Iā€™m in deep old English territory (if you know Welsh history, youā€™ll know what I mean).

4 Likes

Yeah I can totally get that!
Other reason for learning is eisteddfod 2020 is practically on my doorstep. Itā€™s going to cause hell with my commute to work, but will be cool to go to I hope.

4 Likes

Iā€™m gutted, the Eisteddfod last year was practically on campus for me, but it was a month after Iā€™d gone home! Always wanted to go to one too, but always hesitate for my lack of Welsh. One day Iā€™ll know enough and go (maybe next year, lol :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

Nooo, enough with the cold and snow in Canada. We deserve spring too! (Our weather is super weird lately, everyone is confused.)

9 Likes

I think even the weather is confused at this point.

11 Likes

@Cj_Heighton I loose power anytime i shave

4 Likes

@Rimor I finally made an introductory post longer than 3 paragraphs lol

5 Likes

Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

Greetings fellows. How fare the day?

4 Likes

My power: rooted firmly in the sound of my voice!

4 Likes

Hey @Aspen :slight_smile: Iā€™m just on my way back home after a night at the pub :sweat_smile: itā€™s my Wednesday after-work ritual. So Iā€™m feeling pretty jolly! How are you?

6 Likes

Hey all :slight_smile: the day has been alright, been struggling a bit with my mental health lately though. Itā€™s been a while, so I kinda forgot how to handle it lol

7 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear that @Lunalie if you need to talk let me know! (although I should probably go to bed right now but Iā€™ll help in anyway I can)

3 Likes