The Currently Reading Super Topic

I am now reading this and can I tell y’all that this is the first book in a while that I couldn’t put down? I started reading about 10:30 and was up for two hours I only closed it because my wife was already asleep and I needed to get up in the morning.

Yeah, I’m not cross-stitching tonight, I’m finishing this book.

EDIT: context

11 Likes

Oooo I have that coming up on my list!!!

5 Likes

I’ve got it on my wishlist, I can’t wait to read it eventually. It sounds like something I’ll definitely like

7 Likes

It’s actually a pretty quick read. Kindle predicted 5 hours. Everyone reads at a different pace, I tend to take that as a generous midway point for the relatively average reader base.

8 Likes

Without spoilers, can you tell me how much this shares in common with old school fairytales? It seems to have all the hallmarks from the Goodreads synopsis.

Thanks.

5 Likes

I’ll admit, I’m only just halfway through. Here’s what I can give you though.

There’s a LOT of faerie tale tropes, - girl lost in the woods, characters/places/stories not being who/what they seem on the surface, girl not knowing or accepting her own worth, etc. Being a fan of Grimm/Andersen/even Disney, I’m fairly sure I’ve predicted most, if not all, of the turns; but in a way that still makes me excited to continue and find out how the turns are played out.

I’m going to liken this book more to an Andersen-style story than Grimm; not quite as dark, but not totally bleached like Disney.

I hope that helps, ask away if you want.

9 Likes

That helps heaps, thanks!

6 Likes

I’m hoping so too, but I feel obliged to finish Jim Butcher’s latest. And probably finishing a reread of The Library at Mount Char, which is beautiful and strange.

7 Likes

Is that Battleground? If so, I’d be curious to hear what you think of it.

7 Likes

Yes, it is Battleground. It … isn’t my favorite. There isn’t much plot to it: it’s essentially the battle sequence at the end of Infinity War but spread out over a lot of pages. The “camera” of the narration goes into slo-mo a bit too often. Everyone gets a cameo, which feels a little forced. The “tired, exhausted Harry says something snarky” trope is a bit worn out by the halfway point. I’ll finish it, but the next book will get a skeptical eye.

6 Likes

I ended up finishing it, but found it kind of exhausting. I’ve generally enjoyed the series otherwise. I agree with what you said exactly, and there’s never a just a break from it. The ending for me felt shoehorned in, too.

7 Likes

Haven’t gotten to the ending yet, but it is leading me to think the series is ready to retire. Butcher took a long break from it, and it feels to me like his heart isn’t quite in it. I’ve enjoyed the series overall, but it might be time to wrap this one up.

5 Likes

Looks like there are at least two more after Battleground :grimacing:

5 Likes

I’m finally on Elantris!
Still in set-up chapters, but it’s still been difficult to put down.

5 Likes

After going through a few DNF books, I finally sat down and finished All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace. I rather liked the magical system, although there are a few characters I wished I learned more about. I’ve added the sequel to my list, though.

8 Likes

i’ve started Dragon Bones and its been kinda intersteing so far, Michael Crichton supposedly found an old manuscript…but its good.

Also Echoes of Honor somewhere in the middle of the Honorverse series. which is like the 6th reread for me.

8 Likes

I just started today and I’m about halfway through now! I was really surprised by the tone (in a good way). I don’t know why, but I had it in my head that this was going to err on the side of “taking itself quite seriously” and I actually like the joke-y, almost modern voice it’s written in!

7 Likes

Soooooo I’ve just finished Among the Beasts and Briars and I just want to know…who at Ghibli do I address my petition to? To get them to adapt this book into a movie?? Because it would be kiiiiiiinda perfect…

17 Likes

Alright, it sounds like I’m moving that book way up my wishlist

7 Likes

Ghibli adapting this would be AMAZING

12 Likes