The Currently Reading Super Topic

OMG.
I’m 15 chapters into Elantris.

The Shu Derethi.

What even.

🤦

7 Likes

I just started Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I didn’t really know what to expect going in, and I’m maybe 30 pages in now…and it’s very…surreal? I guess? It’s definitely well-written and intriguing but very unusual

8 Likes

Finished The Vanishing Half - I really enjoyed it, but I found the ending unsatisfying. I’ve started The Office of Historical Corrections and again, I love the writing SO much, but the short stories seem to end in the middle, and I get vexed.

However I was reading recently, and I can’t recall where, that storytelling traditions vary by culture - so what I expect in a story structure is related directly to my cultural heritage. I wish I could find that article!

EDIT: Found it!
https://www.jstor.org/stable/1002264?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

13 Likes

I have loads of books on the go. Chosen an Alex versus novel, spellslinger ect.

7 Likes

I fell madly in love with this book-the author’s first novel-as soon as I started reading it. It feels like a beautiful new mythology for a post-apocalyptic land. The blurb on the back cover reads, “In a ruined world, what will survive are the tales we tell.”

15 Likes

I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and I cannot recommend that book strongly enough. The description of the book made me think it would have more action than there actually was, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and enjoyable it was to read. I love Neil Gaiman’s writing style and the pacing of his books always feels just right.

12 Likes

I just finished A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White and enjoyed it far more than I anticipated. A coworker loaned it to me kind of on a whim and it’s such a fun mix of adventure, spacey sci-fi, conspiracies, magic, and mystery. Now I’m just waiting to borrow the next in the series, but would definitely recommend so far!

12 Likes

I just finished A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas from her Court series. It was great I read about half of it one night and the other half the next day, the sucker was 768 pages and was probably the biggest fiction book I’ve read. If you’ve read the series it was with Nesta and Cassian so a lot of yelling, being mad, fighting, and healing happened.

12 Likes

When you’re reading a romance novel and the main couple have finally reached a good place but then you see the trainwreck coming and you’re having a hard time putting the book down but you don’t want to keep reading because you don’t want the trainwreck to happen –
And the trainwreck is the cliffhanger.

14 Likes

That’s when I start setting the book around, pace my room, pick up the book, read a few pages, set the book down, pace some more…

I’m in a book slump right now. Not sure what to read.

11 Likes

That’s when I focus more on a creative hobby, until I feel like reading again.

8 Likes

Finished This is How You Lose the Time War, which I do recommend! I’m not sure what I expected, read it all in about three hours, and I think it’s one that I’m going to have to revisit later.

8 Likes

Have you read King rat?

3 Likes

This thread is not good for my TBR list. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

My hard copy reference materials have arrived!

17 Likes

:purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

Beautiful photo!

And I know not everyone can, but I wanted to thank you for buying them directly from Ackerly Green. I know fulfillment can be slower than Amazon, but the difference in what Amazon shares in royalties vs. what I make by readers buying directly from me is considerable.

AND I can personalize the books that come from the book shop. :cjheart:

18 Likes

I will never not love the shade of purple on C&T.
:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

13 Likes

Huh, I didn’t realize the covers had changed, my C&T is the dark teal blue color without the handle.

edit: I’ve just been informed by my SO that I did in fact comment on the covers being changed before, so I am losing my mind but not in the way I had originally thought.

16 Likes

Just finished The Divines as my debut book for February (started reading in February, I’m counting it!), and while I did really enjoy it, the teen girl antics made me extremely stressed out.

It was a similar experience to reading Sally Rooney’s Normal People, though, because the reason it made me so anxious was because it captured that life stage so accurately. Lots of “Why did she say that??” and “That’s definitely something I would’ve said and hated myself for saying at 16…” :grimacing:

12 Likes

Wow, it’s been a minute since I posted in here (I always seem to post when I’m done with books rather than when I’m actually reading them). Since my last post, my wife and I finished both the original Percy Jackson and The Hunger Games series and we finished The Lost Hero this morning! I also decided to read Clariel at the beginning of the month (which is Book 4 and a prequel to Sabriel by Garth Nix) and it’s reminded me why I love this world so much. While it isn’t a “return” to a book I’ve already read like many of my other books this year (it only features one character that was in the previous books), it is nice to return to one of, if not my absolute, favorite book series. My next reads will probably be Goldenhand (Book 5 of this series), The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (a prequel to The Hunger Games that I’ve meant to read since it came out last year), and the rest of The Heroes of Olympus series. I still haven’t finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but maybe I’ll find time for that this month, too!

The two other books I read last month were Good Omens (finally, after dropping it during high school) and We Keep the Dead Close which is a True Crime book on the murder of a Harvard PhD student in the 60s. Both of them were really interesting, but I’m the happiest about finally reading Good Omens because it was a light of comedy and fun (despite it being about, you know, the end of the world) that I needed last month. I first tried reading it in my junior year of high school, but I had to stop reading it because of some serious existential dread™ I was facing at the time. The beginning of the book aggravated that, so I had to stop reading to preserve my mental health at the time. I also hadn’t read any of Gaiman’s or Pratchett’s work before reading this book which definitely helped on this read-through. I really enjoyed it and I definitely encourage people who haven’t read it yet to give it a try, especially if you like Neil Gaiman’s other works!

16 Likes