The Currently Reading Super Topic

I just finished Skyhunter by Marie Lu and WOW I was Not Ready for that ending… I’m maybe a little emotional and I cant believe I have to wait for the sequel.

7 Likes

Ignore me anytime I speculate on what I might read next.
I used up the last of the gift card my dad gave me, and bought
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell < what I’m currently reading
The Witches of New York by Ami McKay
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson < will be my first Sanderson book

11 Likes

Put together another Bookshop list for September and October, since September seemed a little light but MAN you guys have been busy this past month. I love seeing these come together in the collages at the header!!
https://bookshop.org/lists/basecamp-33-s-fall-reads

13 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s allowed, but if it is, will you be doing a shop on the UK bookshop.org ?
PS sorry if I should have asked this on a different thread.

8 Likes

I would like to direct everyone to this book: Among the Beasts & Briars by Ashley Poston | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble®

This is the most Briarverse-adjacent unrelated book I’ve ever seen.

11 Likes

Whoa. Adding that to my TBR pile

10 Likes

I honestly didn’t know there were different versions! I’ll check it out and see if it’s possible to overlap :hermanthumbs:

10 Likes

UK version only launched this week :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Genius!

8 Likes

I REALLY wish they would consolidate the stores, because I’d love to start using Bookshop as our domestic and international paperback distributor.

12 Likes

Time to add this to my mile long book backlog. :sob:

8 Likes

Finally getting around to read SuperBetter: A Revolutionary Approach to Getting Stronger, Happier, Braver and More Resilient–Powered by the Science of Games. I heard about SB about a year ago on a podcast & even tried the app. Reading this book is already making me feel more confident about playing.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42768622-superbetter

9 Likes

Just finished reading Vita Nostra and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Feels like one of those books that I’ll have to read a few different times, just to get down different angles. It’s also my first foray into Russian literature, which I’ve been hoping to read more about.

11 Likes

I’ve been intrigued by Vita Nostra for a while! Would you recommend, @Cirydae?

7 Likes

I would! However, I think the taglines do it an injustice–I’ve seen it described as similar to The Magicians by Grossman, or even Harry Potter. While it is about a magical school it’s in such a different wheelhouse than the books it gets compared to. There’s quite a bit less action, for one thing.
I enjoyed reading it, though, and look forward to reading it again. There’s a lot of phrases that just stuck out to me and that I’d like to revisit and think about.

11 Likes

Has anybody read any Frances Hardinge?? She writes for both MG and YA audiences. I’ve just started Fly By Night and it’s so fun so far!

5 Likes

This isn’t a book, but I’m not sure where else to recommend it: IN & OF ITSELF, by Derek Delgaudio.

This is a recording of a show he performed in New York City for 520+ performances. It is available for streaming until November 19 through the link above. It costs $12, and you have 48 hours to watch it. (There is some language in it, and intimated violence.)

There literally are not words for how this made me feel. Not in this language or any other, poetic or literal or visual or musical.

This is magic. This is story. This is the power of a magical story, and a story about magic, and the magic of stories themselves (ourselves).

Whatever it was, it utterly floored me. I am still trying to wrap my mind around it.

7 Likes

My in-laws sent a few books for my 3-year old. One is a Berenstain Bears book. I cannot for the life of me read this without staring at the cover for a few minutes.

11 Likes

May I ask why?

4 Likes

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

15 Likes