The Currently Reading Super Topic

I just started the audiobook for The New Jim Crow! I haven’t been reading much since I graduated, but I’m really enjoying the clarity and directness that Michelle Alexander writes with. The audiobook is 17 hours long, so it’s quite the investment, but I keep wanting to dive back in when I take breaks!

8 Likes

Circe was so much fun! It makes me feel warm inside that other people like it, too.

I just finished “The Guest List” by Lucy Foley last night. It was a fun mystery - but the real gem of the book was the setting. You feel like you’re there!

7 Likes

I’m in the middle of some particularly not-fun bits of the book, but it’s already on my favorites list. I love it.

7 Likes

Yeaaaaah those definitely happen. But even then the writing is beautiful haha

6 Likes

Thanks to all of you, I am getting back into reading after quite a COVID-19 hiatus. Before I began working remotely, I alternated between audiobooks & podcasts on my 3-hour commute (round trip). Now that work is getting to a quiet period & my toddler is back at daycare, I’m not working all day and night anymore, so am reading.

I’ve just gotten back into the Black Jewels saga, reading most of the post-trilogy books in about 2 weeks - I forgot how good they are & how well they draw me in! I’m reading another instalment of my friend’s book series The Night Quartet, then will go back to Black Jewels 5, 7, 8.

After that, who knows; I still have to finish Unfinished Tales, which I’ve been working on for about 10 thousand years.

9 Likes

I just started reading A Blight of Mages by Karen Miller and I’m really liking it. I’d recommend for anyone who likes stories about societies that have been built around the use of magic.

7 Likes

I finished Circe last night at around 2am. One of my favorite books, full stop. I started Song of Achilles at the breakfast table this morning. :cjheart:

12 Likes

and now i’ve finished TMP, again, and have begun a reread of Empire from the Ashes by David Weber.

11 Likes

Adding it to my summer reading list now!

8 Likes

Correction: will read after this, which I forgot that I pre-ordered, which just arrived today.

11 Likes

My brother just finished a novel that he’s planning to query out soon - I’m getting to read it now. It’s a murder mystery that takes place in modern Greece where the gods are still worshiped.

10 Likes

I fell into a reading rut for over a week when my cat Nimueh passed away but I’ve been reading some old easy books to get back into it and get used to reading when shes not around (I used to read pretty much exclusively while sitting with her). So I’ve been reading the Spoken Mage series, which is one of those series that isnt good per se but fulfills all my favorite tropes and is a super fast read. I’ll have read 2 books of the series by the end of today even. I definitely recommend them if only because like I said they’re fun and easy. I am, at least, feeling a little bit better about reading now, even if my energy levels are still generally really low.

10 Likes

Old, easy favorites are such a balm to the soul. :heart: I’m so glad they’re helping you ease back into reading!

My go-to’s when my brain is tired are middle-grade books because they’re fun and easy, and I just finished the second book in the Nevermoor series which was perfect for that. All the magic and friendship warm fuzzies of Harry Potter, but with a lot less angst and more reliable adult figures, which gives it a nice sense of safety and security too. I’m only sad that I have to wait a whole year for the next one!

12 Likes

My re-read for comfort book is probably Sabriel by Garth Nix. Definitely one of my favorite books of all time, even though it deals with a lot of death and heavy themes.

I just started The Monarch Papers and wow I’m being hit with the sadness. I’m sensitive, but did anyone else have a hard time getting started? I can’t cry on my Kindle, guys!

13 Likes

I don’t think i’ve ever read Sabriel, but i know i’ve read other things by Nix. and this last time through TMP i definitely was feeling it pull at the heartstrings, both for the joy at some places and the deep sadness in others.

10 Likes

I love Sabriel!! I gave my copies to my sister when we moved, then decided last year that I wanted to reread them, and realized how much I missed reading them. I’m planning to get myself another set at some point soon

10 Likes

My dad actually bought me the copy that’s on my shelf right now, he got it for me when I was far from home and a little homesick. It’s definitely a comforting book, even though the first time I read it, I didn’t even read it! My first experience with it was as an audiobook, with none other than Tim Curry reading it!

10 Likes

I’ve started reading Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. I don’t know why I’ve found manga easier to read than proper novels lately, but it is what it is.
I usually prefer Shojo or Josei (ones geared towards women, shojo being for teens and josei for adults), but I also have an addiction to Shounen battle manga. (Shounen meaning for teen boys.)
This one was recommended to me by a friend because he knows how quickly I read. It’s been 2 weeks since I started and I’m already at part 3.
I’d say part 1 is a fun introduction to the world. Plot is fun, setting is forefront. Part 2 is meh as far as plot goes, but the characters are more developed. I’m enjoying part 3 the most so far. The plot is much more enjoyable, the characters are interesting, and the author seems to have become comfortable with the art style. I was considering dropping the series during part 2, but I don’t think I will now, part 3 has been keeping my attention very well.

9 Likes

I never finished Sabriel as a teen, not sure what it was but I just couldn’t read it at the time. If I can find my copy I’ll have to give it another go.

Currently reading Book of Dust - the secret commonwealth for the first time.
Despite the years it’s still got all the pacing and details I love from His Dark Materials. My copy has been misbound so I accidentally saw the phrase ‘to be continued’ on one of the last pages. I’ve gone from near speed reading to practically a crawl, as I don’t want to get to the end and find the story unfinished.

10 Likes

@Sellalellen I love manga! I’ve been binge reading a lot of isekais lately. I love the whole “transported to another world” gimmick. A manga I read ages ago recently got its own anime, and it’s definitely worth a watch or a read. If you like silly romances, you’ll definitely enjoy My Next Life as a Villainess.

@Sapphire I… didn’t enjoy His Dark Materials much. I got through The Golden Compass and a little way into The Subtle Knife but it just… didn’t make a whole lot of sense? Plus I was a Catholic at the time and I didn’t appreciate all the church bashing I got from them.

9 Likes