The Currently Reading Super Topic

I finished Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn - and it was so charming! It deals with the iconic “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” sentence - and then when letters fall off their monument, the Council makes people stop using those letters. So fun.

8 Likes

Where did you get it? I’ve been trying to find that one for months!

5 Likes

I happened upon it at a used book shop. Lucky me!

5 Likes

I’m currently reading Where Dreams Descend, and oh BOY am I just full of nervous energy over it. It’s split up into acts, and Im just starting the last, Act IV, with maybe 70 pages left? So far I can’t recommend it enough. There are a lot of loose ends and mysteries that I don’t know if we’ll ever actually know and I’m actually really enjoying that. I usually like things to be more concrete, but something about the disconcerting secrecy just feels right. I have so many theories, and a simmering sense that all the clues are there if only I could piece them together.

9 Likes

I just got that in this month’s Owlcrate! I’ve got a couple books on the list ahead of it, but I’m so excited for it!

8 Likes

Oh I got my copy from Owlcrate too! I absolutely love their edition, I’m a huge fan of foiled and embossed hardcovers!

8 Likes

Sounds a lot like The Phantom Tollbooth!

6 Likes

Started reading The Academy Journals vol. 1 by Garret Robinson. Its been a while since I’ve been able to read anything, since the library is closed and I usually don’t buy books unless I really adore them. But I’m glad to be getting into this 1.

It’s set in an anthology of sorts in his Underrealm setting. I’m likening it to the way Brandon Sanderson handles the Cosmere but with a much less grander scale.

The book itself has been fascinating. Lots of tastes of a worldbuilding outside of the titular academy of the volume’s title. The characters have complex relationships, within the few chapters I’ve read and one of the supporting characters so far is openly LGBT, which is always appreciated. I’ve barely begun, as the volume is the first 3 books of the series tied into 1, so I can’t pass too many judgements but it’s certainly intriguing.

9 Likes

I just finished Vicious and Schwab has been recommended to me for so long and now I know why! It was amazing!

8 Likes

Ohh Schwab has been recommended to me so many times too, maybe this is the summer I get into Shades of Magic…

10 Likes

I’m a quarter of the way into Circe by Madeline Miller and am obsessed. I was up until 2am reading last night.

12 Likes

Not currently reading, per se, but I just pre-ordered A Deadly Education and I’m pumped to read it when it shows up in a couple of months!

10 Likes

I also just bought the hardcover of this:

A single-player journaling rpg about being a vampire: :astonished:

11 Likes

I’m planning on pre-ordering the OwlCrate version soon! It‘s going to have a foil-embossed hardcover and gilded edges!

8 Likes

i finally finished my read through of the Honorverse by David Weber, and OMG loved it. ITs basically Horatio Hornblower in space.

and then i decided to reread TMP…

7 Likes

I’m reading An Absolutely Remarkable Thing which is part science fiction and part social commentary and I really like it so far. The sequel just came out, so I’ll be reading that soon too.

8 Likes

I keep meaning to read that one. I hear nothing but good things.

7 Likes

Circe is amazing! It’s one of my all time favorite books. It’s so well written and the take is so fun and just :cjheart:

8 Likes

Shades of Magic is on my list (when they get DSOM for curbside pickup at my library again that is) maybe we’ll read them around the same time!

9 Likes

Libraries are supposed to open up here again next week and I am so excited

10 Likes