The Currently Reading Super Topic

I love that trope too. I’ll definitely check out the one you reccomended, it sounds like a fun read.

6 Likes

I wish i could actually dl more books while underway, but i can’t so i’m stuck with what i have on my phone and my kindle for now.

5 Likes

Sabriel is probably one of my favorite books of all time. I haven’t finished all of the other books (Clariel, Goldenhand, To Hold The Bridge), but I really love the world of The Old Kingdom and can’t wait to read the rest of them which glare at me from my bookshelf. I’ve also got the Litograph shirt for Sabriel which has the Bell belt on it and I love it so much :cjheart:

8 Likes

I second the recommendation of My Next Life as a Villainess! It plays with all the regular tropes but gently subverts them for a fun story and some great characters! :blossom:

On the vein of manga, I don’t know if I’ve already recommended it, but I thoroughly recommend Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon) to anyone who’s interested in manga that’s still updating! It’s a beautiful cooking/fantasy manga with amazingly written characters, in-depth lore that’s revealed organically as things progress, and a lovely blend of comedy, action and some slight spookies <3 Even if you don’t like cooking manga, don’t worry, nor do I, but I LOVE Dungeon Meshi :cherry_blossom:

7 Likes

I hot Goldenhand for my bday, it’s also glaring at me from its shelf :joy:

7 Likes

@Remus I wasn’t able to finish Clariel, actually. I won’t spoil anything but I just… didn’t like the main character, compared to all the other leading ladies Nix has given us.

@SabineBean I LOVE Dungeon Meshi! I need to catch up! I love the world building and how real the fantasy felt. I also love food. I want to read “So I’m a Spider, So What?” because that also involves a lot of eating, though significantly less cooking!

7 Likes

Oh, that one’s also very, very good! If you’re into webtoons too, I’d recommend Monster Duchess and Contract Princess, that’s one of my favs (Though does have some tragic elements so if you’re not into tragedy perhaps not that one), and also This Girl is a Little Wild is fun! :cherry_blossom:

6 Likes

Speaking of Webtoon, I highly recommend Cursed Princess Club. It definitely takes a lot of archetypes and tropes and turns them upside-down.

6 Likes

I love Dungeon Meshi! The food makes me hungry though, and I can’t ever eat them because they use things like hippogriff meat.

5 Likes

Guess you gotta substitute with whatever seems close enough… Some kind of gamey bird? Goose? No idea haha :cherry_blossom:

6 Likes

I love Cursed Princess Club! So much fun <3

6 Likes

SubZero and Midnight Poppyland :two_hearts::purple_heart::two_hearts::purple_heart::two_hearts:

4 Likes

Ostrich should be the right substitute for hippogriff

6 Likes

I just finished “The Book of Longings” by Sue Monk Kidd - it’s a story about Jesus’ feminist wife. It’s historical fiction but I would not call it religious fiction.

6 Likes

I finally picked up the Grishaverse trilogy last weekend and I’m excited to get into it. I just have about 50 pages of my current book left to read before I can delve into it.

8 Likes

Added to Goodreads

5 Likes

That’s a very Thornmouth book if ever I’ve seen one.

6 Likes

So today has its upsides.
I’ve ditched work to take my neighbor to a&e. She slipped and seriously hurt her ankle, hopefully not broken but no idea as yet. (Edit, broken in 2 places, but not shifted so should heal fine)
Since I’m not allowed in with her, I’m sat on my old uni campus with a glorious view of the sea and my Kindle app reading Night Circus.
Why has it taken me so long to read this book, it’s delightful, descriptive, enticing and frankly glorious!

12 Likes

Night Circus is so good!!! I’ve been considering re-reading it lately, especially after reading The Starless Sea. Erin Morgenstern is just so talented.

13 Likes

I haven’t been reading as much this year, but I just finished Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller! I picked up because I didn’t know if it related back to Circe, and even though it doesn’t seem like it will, I still really enjoyed it! I’m also waiting to get my hands on Howl’s Moving Castle so I can finally read it (even though I know it’s different than the movie)!

14 Likes