The Currently Reading Super Topic

I haven’t read Autobiography in Red yet but it’s on my list because I looooove Anne Carson’s poetry collection Short Talks. Would definitely recommend if you like her work and haven’t read that one yet!!

7 Likes

You guys I did it!! I finished Lord of the Rings!!!

19 Likes

OMG, I can’t wait to hear what you think!

11 Likes

I have A LOT of thoughts. Still working through them and will decide on the best way to share them :joy:

12 Likes

I love to reread Eragon. It’s so good.

6 Likes

At length, with a complete glossary, and a prequel that explains how all of the swords got their names.:rofl:

10 Likes

Not really a “currently reading” since I just finished the second book in the duology, but Isle of Blood and Stone and Song of the Abyss by Makiia Lucier were absolutely gorgeous and I loved them both with my whole entire heart. Mediterranean-esque fantasy centered around mapmakers and explorers…very atmospheric…1000000/10 do recommend.

11 Likes

What fantasy series that youve read would you say is the most similar?
Also have you guys read Name of the Wind?

8 Likes

One of my favorites!

9 Likes

I don’t really know that it was like much else that I’ve read. I think the blurb compared it to the Tamara Pierce books, but it’s been so long since I’ve read any of those books that I can’t corroborate. It’s a historical-feeling setting, and the main characters are from a Mediterranean-feeling location, but some of the other countries mentioned have other inspirations so it still feels diverse. I would call it probably like like…light fantasy? There’s like, mythical creatures and sea monsters, but not like…dragons or magic really. Lots of adventure, some puzzles/mystery to solve. And lots of boat.

9 Likes

I just finished reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón this morning and oh my goodness, what a beautiful book. Definitely earned a spot on my 5-star-favorites-of-all time list. Magical without any magic beyond that of books, and completely captivating. Definitely recommend!!!

11 Likes

You had me at “Marquez meets Eco meets Borges.” Right onto the TBR pile!

7 Likes

I started it last summer, but couldn’t get through it. Maybe I’ll reshuffle it into the stack.

7 Likes

I don’t know if I ever mentioned it here, but I just finished “Castle in the Air” (the first sequel to “Howl’s Moving Castle”) and I have…thoughts. BUT! I’ve just started “The Kingdom of Back” by Marie Lu and I’m super digging it. It’s very different from anything I’ve ever read. I’m definitely seeing some like, Peter Pan and Pan’s Labyrinth kind of themes, but like, in a very unique way.

10 Likes

Oh I loved The Kingdom of Back! I’m very much not a historical fiction person so it was a lot of fun to finally enjoy something like that. The parts where they specifically talked about their music and the way it felt and worked was fascinating, as someone who plays flute passably and who took some mandatory music history courses for the past couple years.

What made it interesting for me was, I think, the vibes/themes you mention! For me it felt generally very dark and fae, and I can definitely see and feel the specific Peter Pan and Pan’s Labyrinth vibes. I also like that while it could be (and is, I believe) considered fantasy, it really also plays up the borderline magical realism, never knowing if what’s happening is really happening or not, too.

8 Likes

Anyone else heard of Michelle West/Sagara?
I’m addicted to her Sun Sword/Hidden City universe, currently reading Firstborn

7 Likes

I feel this so much with those books. They’re fantastic, but I’ve read them so many times I know when the sad parts are coming up and I want to stop reading then.

6 Likes

I’ve just started “Dark Matter” by Blake Crouch. It’s my second of his books - the first one I read was “Recursion” and it was GLORIOUS. I’ve high hopes for “Dark Matter” - it’s one of his earlier books, but just one chapter in, and I’m delighted to be hooked.

8 Likes

Starting the Complete Works of Friedrich Nietzsche and Sarah Maas’ Throne of Glass.
I also want to re-read Starless Sea and create a reference map for it.

7 Likes

I know we have a smattering of middle-grade readers here, so has anyone else read Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend?? I’m almost done and I’m in love. It’s exactly the same kind of homey, magical, wondrous feeling as Harry Potter and it’s been the nicest escape this past couple of days. Highly recommend!!

9 Likes