Tarot/Oracle/Divination

I like to do “get to know you” readings with my new decks, and I thought I’d post one here with my Synesthesia Deck in case anyone else wants to use this method to get to know their decks as well.
It’s a pretty simple spread, with a card to answer each of the following questions:
How does this deck see itself?
What does this deck like to talk about?
How long will this deck be in my company?
Where will working with this deck lead me?
Why did this deck call to me?
How will this deck help me grow?

The way I am interpreting this:
Ten of Pentacles - This deck sees itself as very powerful and very nurturing, it seeks to offer practical knowledge about how to become successful in it’s querent’s endeavors, especially in a way which supports Home, Family, and Financial Stability.
King of Wands - This deck wants to talk about passions and ambitions. It wants to help re-ignite the flames of desire that nay-sayers have dampened. It wants to help it’s querents go after the dreams that logic says are impossible, and prove the nay-sayers wrong.
Page of Swords - This deck is eager to teach me and learn from me, and when we have learned as much as we can from one another, it will find someone new to teach and learn from. It’s sort of an indeterminate timeline, but I get the sense that it will let me know once it’s “bored” with me :sweat_smile:
Justice (Inverted) - Working with this deck will lead me to explore what I truly believe is “right” and “wrong”, what is “deserved” and “undeserved”, and where I stand in the face of “injustice” (inverted Justice :face_with_monocle:). I also get the sense that it’s going to call me out on a lot of my own subconscious prejudices, which is a little intimidating, but I’d rather work through that stuff than casually or accidentally hurt anyone, so… So be it.
Death - Now this deck is just being cheeky, because Death is my favorite Tarot card and I 100% bought this deck because this is a beautiful representation of the concept of time and transformation. (I also got the Death enamel pin from the Kickstarter. Cheeky, cheeky.)
Knight of Swords - This deck will teach me how to transform my overactive mental energy into actionable plans. Anxiety can become a useful motivator for me if I will stop hiding and worrying, and start going and doing something about it.

Does anyone else have “new deck” rituals/spreads?

10 Likes

That’s gorgeous!!! It looks like a friendlier version of my Synesthesia Deck :joy::joy: I especially love the focus on color theory with the Simplicities deck :star_struck:

6 Likes

I definitely backed it. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

WOW! That deck is gorgeous! I’ve recently been following Harvey James’ progress in making a non-hierarchical and agender tarot deck that is somewhat similar. A black background with white minimalist images.

I’m still really new to tarot (and here lol). But I’m definitely going to use this spread! I’ve been sorely lacking in understanding the personality of my Seventh Sphere Marseille deck. That will hopefully make my readings a bit easier.

8 Likes

Those are both really lovely, and exciting decks! Even though I’ve been working with tarot for a few years, I still feel new to it and often out of my depth. If you ever need a tarot commiseration buddy, I got you! :relaxed: And welcome - both to tarot and to AG! Glad to have you here :grin::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

Also, this is the link to the main introduction thread where our @Wagoneers can help you get acclimated to the forum. Give 'em a shout if you need anything!

6 Likes

I have three tarot decks. The first one I got is a farie deck that tends to only like being used for personal or for those very close to me. The second deck I own is the homestuck one which is for everyone else because it doesn’t really work the best for personal. The last is visions of gaia which is my personal deck and is not afraid to spit out the hard honest truth but does not like being used for others.

7 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try tarot reading, but have been a little intimidated! I’m drawn to the beautiful decks, but I’m not the best at learning new skills. Is it hard to learn how?

6 Likes

There are some people who insist there are “right” and “wrong” ways to read decks, especially the more traditional Rider-Waite decks. When I started off I relied HEAVILY on those systems, but the longer I’ve worked with it, the more I let the images on the cards speak for themselves. Once you can connect the stories you know to what the card represents it gets a lot easier. It just takes time and practice; like book keeping, or learning an instrument, or playing sports. It comes more naturally to some people, but anyone can do it if they’re willing to put in the effort.

10 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: Next time I’m out shopping and a deck calls out to me, I think I’m going to pick it up :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yay!!! Join us!!!
:crystal_ball::flower_playing_cards::first_quarter_moon_with_face::full_moon_with_face::last_quarter_moon_with_face:

8 Likes

One of us! One of us!:sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I’ve never seen so many other people who like tarot in one place! :heart_eyes: I don’t know a lot of people interested in tarot, so I don’t get to geek out about it often. So glad to see this thread. So many gorgeous decks!

I’ve had my Dreaming Way Tarot deck for about a year. It’s generally been gentle in giving me the advice I need, but it accepts no nonsense - if I need to hear a hard truth, it will be blunt. I tend to pull a card a week to meditate on, and do more elaborate readings on important dates or when I have a specific problem I’m struggling with.

9 Likes

Just got the lovely Crow Tarot yesterday so I’m still getting to know it, but it’s definitely my favorite so far in terms of imagery! I start the deck by drawing one card each of the major arcana and each suit, just asking the deck to identify something of interest or focus in each area.

10 Likes

Oh, I love the play of shadow and color in this!
I’m so excited to see a new “get to know you” kind of spread also! I’m going to try this in some practice readings :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::flower_playing_cards:

6 Likes

I’m determined my next deck will be the Shadowscapes tarot. I’m in love with watercolor art, and the way this artist uses the medium is just… Breathtaking.

8 Likes

I got my husband the Synesthesia tarot and he LOVES it. It’s gorgeous, and I love the feel of the cards! My go-to deck is Shadowscapes. I use the Flowers of the Night Oracle deck and the Illustrated Herbiary with it for my monthly forecast and anytime intuition tells me to. Here is a pic of the last monthly spread I did! Ialso have some amethyst runes I use at times, too.

12 Likes

Where did you get the runes from?

6 Likes

I’m saving up for one of these:

Luckily, there’s an android version while I wait. : j

7 Likes

Omg I love golden thread tarot!

4 Likes