SOLVED: Phase 3 Assessment: Fletcher Dawson

I popped those onto the google doc too, in case anyone is browsing that and so we have a record of what clues those locations are matched to

2 Likes

Progress update: we are still looking for possible locations for Player’s Frigate, and landmarks within the guess cities for The Swallow and Argonauta (and also continued exploration on the other clues is welcome)

2 Likes

I was wondering if Players Frigate could be referring to the game Battleships? There a few different places the board game could be linked to! I found this on wiki:
“The game of Battleship is thought to have its origins in the French game L’Attaque played during World War I, although parallels have also been drawn to E. I. Horseman’s 1890 game Baslinda,[2] and the game is said to have been played by Russian officers before World War I.”

Also, there is a place in Mexico called ‘The cave of Swallows’ which is an open air pit cave! That could defo be a lead!

3 Likes

Looks like Argonauta is going to be a tough one to crack!

1 Like

The connection to Battleship is an interesting thought, though I’m having trouble pinning down a specific location for it. It could be the French patent office that awarded L’Attaque a patent, but I don’t know if I’m pushing it too far with that one.

The cave seems kinda far from Mexico City, but maybe there’s something that would tie it closer? Like for other clues linked to Mexico, it was art or street names within Mexico City even though the thing itself was elsewhere in Mexico…

2 Likes

It is also possible that if one or two clues are still unclear, we could move on to overlaying the constellations and then seeing if maybe a star lands on something that could be an interpretation of one of the clues we didn’t nail down. So like, use that to confirm a constellation location, if that makes sense…

And once we do start mapping, it might be a good idea to edit the doc with the final results for what each clue ended up being (since several clues have several potential locations), just in case we need that later on.

5 Likes

Hope you guys can understand what I’ve done, but I’ve tried to overlay the constellations I think could be in each city. There a little overlap on a couple, but hopefully it’s clear enough to see. I also extended a couple of lines to include points slightly further out.

Paris:

Quebec:

St. Petersburg:

Athens:

Rome:

Mexico City:

9 Likes

It’s good, thanks for doing it! Maybe you could try a couple different ones also, if possible.

2 Likes

Different ones? Constellations or cities? I’ve only mapped here the cities with more than one point, and only with constellations that fit the points based on that. For example, Durkonos doesn’t really fit in Paris based on the points we have.

3 Likes

This is amazing!! I reckon that you’ve got St Petersburg and Quebec spot on!!!

2 Likes

Okay so I know we have a ton of places in Paris already, but…

4 Likes

Cities. Sorry, should have been more specific.

2 Likes

This is great! Thanks thanks for getting that rolling!

2 Likes

Definitely promising leads on the maps. Great work. Hopefully in 24 hours I can actually do something useful… or at least cheer if you all solve it by then

4 Likes

I should be back this evening to help out…But you guys are killing it today!

2 Likes

So, I spent some time re-mapping out all the potential Paris locations. My map looks… different than the one we’ve been using. I also spent some time on Powerpoint overlaying different constellation images onto my own map and the map @Nimueh screen-shotted above. I can’t get any of them to shoehorn onto either map. Here’s what I came up with:

I’m working off of the “Dawson Location” column of the spreadsheet linked above.

2 Likes

Also, what about Dodona for Zeus’ Meadow? It was the second most important oracle in ancient Greece (after Delphi) and was dedicated to Zeus. Priests would lay in the grass and observe the rustling of leaves in a sacred oak tree.

2 Likes

I entered Quebec, Mumbai, St Petersberg, Crete. So far so good.

3 Likes

Nope, then tried Quebec, Mumbai, St Pberg, and then Paris. Got another bounce back.

3 Likes

Saint Petersburg and quebe are our current best options and Paris looks like it’s not one of them.

1 Like