SOLVED: Fragment Seven: Yule

Lol a bit. Usually within a day or two of solving one part we are given the next. If not today, I think we should get the next part tomorrow. Don’t quote me on that though.

4 Likes

Well then… I guess we wait.

3 Likes

So, looking for mythology centred around Gansu (similar to what we needed to do with Vanuatu), I came across this:

Tianma
Gansu Flying Horse, Han Dynasty bronze.

Literally meaning, “horse of heaven” or “heavenly horses”, mythically Tianma was a fabled winged horse or a fabled type of winged horse with composite attributes, such as dragonesque features; and, sometimes the Tianma was linked to certain astral or stellar phenomena, or constellations.

(Horse in Chinese mythology - Wikipedia)

None of tianma, tenma nor pegasus work with BoB, but this is a potential lead.

4 Likes

Will do more research, maybe there’s something in the myth itself.

2 Likes

Ugh, I wish I could give you all the biggest hugs!! Just know I am sending you virtual hugs from my computer to yours. I am a little disappointed with myself, I have dealt with UTM coordinates with work (mind you it was when I was a summer student a few years ago) but still. A little disappointed that I didn’t take the time to look into the other coordinate systems beyond longitude and latitude. But oh well, good work everyone nonetheless!!

5 Likes

who gives us the next clue?

2 Likes

Most likely given how things are going Laureen will find something new in her journal based on what we’ve discovered. Or Deirdre will find something. Or the Book itself will.

Or it’s already out there and we just haven’t noticed . :slight_smile: Hard to say, but my bet is on Laureen turning up something new.

3 Likes

which one of us do they contact and how?

2 Likes

By the way, do you guys think this might be of interest? Gansu stone

2 Likes

They don’t contact any of us, well unless it’s the Book of Briars then they send a message to everyone. But Laureen and Deidre don’t know anything about us and they just post more info in the course of their normal blogging/emailing.

Right now we’re watching the email account of someone who gets messages from time to time detailing Laureen’s process

Account details

Your new email address is
User: c@thecagliostro.com
Pass: 6TZ-Nnx-Uep-rhT
You can access your mail via: webmail.thecagliostro.com

I’m pretty sure several us are just occaisionally checking these emails and blogs every couple of hours to see if there’s an update and then they notify everyone.

I know it can seem odd that we’re just sitting around waiting on the next step, but trust me after 3 solid weeks on fragment six, and the past 7 days beating our heads against step 1 of fragment 7 a couple days off now and then is welcome. :slight_smile:

I’m sure we’ll have plenty to chew on shortly.

And that inkstone you linked is pretty interesting. We’ll see if it ties into whatever the next step is.

4 Likes

The stone that I linked is said to be one of the Four Famous Inkstones in China, along with the Duan inkstone of Guangdong Province, the She inkstone of Anhui Province and the Chengni Inkstone of Shanxi Province. Maybe the inkstones or the provinces will be of interest in the future whenever we get the next e-mai.

4 Likes

Guys there is a new mail

5 Likes

We do indeed. Well spotted! Email is:

From l@thecagliostro.comAdd contact Date Today 20:14
Message Body
I spent the weekend studying. I’ve read through all the “brachursis” materials, and practiced the arts, though I should’ve been in bed.

My fever finally broke today but I’m exhausted.

I still see what you see when I close my eyes.

I checked the journal. I noticed a new mark on the outer pages… (I’ve updated the index) so I opened the “triptych” and two new passages have appeared along with a new symbol. My brain is in a fog right now but as soon as I’m feeling better I will try and unravel the clues. If it could lead us to a new book I’d be thrilled, and assume you would be too.

Also, we now have nine pieces of heavy freight.

Please respond when you can.

Yours faithfully

Lauren

And the new Trypych

So on the right, red badge of courage?

What’s the left?

4 Likes

I also saw red badge of courage, I will keep looking into both just to be sure.

3 Likes

Ditto. The thing that we can be sure of is that it will be something that see should have access to - there is no point Sullivan referencing a book that is not accessible to DG to solve it.

2 Likes

Can we find an online copy of Red Badge of Courage?

EDIT: Try this:

2 Likes

Or maybe this one The red badge of courage

EDIT: we should be looking for: 38th T the the old was was that’s a a a a up

3 Likes

Looking for the other one (Wild) still, and looked here with no luck (unless you count Wild strawberries): http://www.bookdownloadlibrary.com/download_book_title/wild/book_titles.jsp

And at https://americanliterature.com, “A wild Strawberry” (different book from “Wild Strawberries”) seems to be the only one.

2 Likes

I’m going with the literatureproject one because I used that for Study in Scarlet and it worked out okay. We’ll see. I’ve got chapter one prepped for counting I’ll see what I can find.

Here’s the file in case anyone else feels like it.

chapter1RBOC.txt (23.6 KB)

2 Likes

I think i got the numbers

60 62 36 23 98 253

2 Likes