SOLVED: Fragment Seven: Yule

What was your 34th T? i get ‘the’ on line 231?

3 Likes

Assuming the correct starting point (and corret numbers) - which I haven’t verified, those numbers get us somewhere in Libya

1 Like

Well I’ve gotten

34th T ‘the’ line 239
2nd The: line 308: : 69
1st old: line 320: : 81
2nd was: line 294 : 55
1st That’s: line 281 : 42
4th a: line 279 : 40
1st up: line 511 : 272

69 81 55 42 40 272

698155 4240272

That leads to Kiras, Greece

Which is wrong because this is a 34 ‘S’ not a 34 ‘T’ coordinate. I’ve got something wrong somewhere. I’ll try again shortly.

2 Likes

I will give it a whirl, I was in the middle of it but work came up

4 Likes

Okay, this feels better. If I consider the word 'em to be them. Then my 34th T is on line 230.

Then I get.

changing 'em to them
34th T ‘the’ line 230
2nd The: line 257: : 47
1st old: line 320: : 90
2nd was: line 294 : 64
1st That’s: line 281 : 51
4th a: line 279 : 49
1st up: line 511 : 281

34T 479064 5149281

Which is 46.49677N, 20.72717E

Which is just outside the village of Kardoskút in Hungary.

2 Likes

When I did it, I didn’t change 'em or anything, I got:

2nd The : 70
1st old: 82
2nd was: 56
1st That’s: 42
4th a: 40
1st up: 273

These numbers are actually very similar to @Robert’s, so maybe I just counted wrong. But anyway, this gives us:
34T 708256 4240273

Which is just outside Neocharaki, Greece

EDIT: I think my counting is wrong. I use my computer to count and in the story there is a “–” which the computer counts as a word for some reason

2 Likes

Post #2, I recounted and got the same numbers as you @Robert. That gives us:

34T 698155 4240272

Which takes us to pretty much halfway between Ameplochori, Greece and Loutoufi, Greece.

Between Kardoskut, Hungary and these two places in Greece, I don’t know which one makes more sense, if any of those are even the correct methodology

EDIT: Also, just something to keep in mind, the UTM coordinates took us to Wuwei, but the province is Gansu, which ended up being the location we were looking for. So the location could be the area/province. Loutoufi and Ampelochori are both in the Boeotia area of Greece. And Kardoskut is in the Békés County area of Hungary (Part of the Southern Great-Plain)

3 Likes

I wonder if the book will let us finish the third step before the second. It can be persnickety like that.

Maybe let’s backtrack for that first one.

What would that word Wild mean?

2 Likes

One book it could be is:

A Wild Rose Time

I am not saying that is it. But it is something to look at.

I am also going to keep looking at others

3 Likes

Yeah. Nothing obvious Springs out. Also I guess it could be a poem or short story as well.

I wa ls trying to make either Into The Wild or Call of the Wild work but didn’t really fit. We may just have to compile our top five or ten luse and try them all.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I am going to try expanding my search in a little bit. But I am definitely leaning towards the top five or ten list. The actual going through of words doesn’t take very long and it will be obvious which ones are ones to really consider if the coordinates take us to a city/region or not

3 Likes

Wow you guys have made lots of progress today.

I have been looking for the “WILD” book as well. Besides things like A Wild Rose Time or Wild Strawberries, I haven’t really found much. One idea I had was maybe it’s not hinting to the book but rather the author - Oscar Wilde? Just an idea though I didn’t find much associated with Wilde and ‘red’ besides The Nightingale and the Rose or A House of Pomegranates.

Other ideas: maybe Wildfire by Zane Grey or Wild Apples by Thoreau

I’ll keep looking.

2 Likes

Putting on my syntax-nerd hat… :nerd:
Since SG has us counting words, does he expect us to break up hyphenated compounds like “camp-fire” or not?
Those technically “count” as one word in all normal circumstances, but in this care could be considered two separate words and might throw off our count.

We might have to try multiple books and multiple counts. Fun.

4 Likes

Yeah the word ‘amber-tinted’ had me thinking along these same lines whether that counted as a ‘t’ word or not. I did a bunch of googling and the consensus seemed to be that’s one word. But you’re right, maybe SG doesn’t care about the consensus.

3 Likes

I also saw “amber-tinted” and the thought crossed my mind, but I thought “nah, I am just being paranoid now”. Seems like everything could be fair game, time to dust off the tinfoil hat I had from fragment four. This is going to be fun

4 Likes

Yay, tinfoil hats! :spy:

4 Likes

Do you want me to run through it keeping in mind “amber-tinted”? I guess it doesn’t hurt even if you are doing it as well. You know checking work and what not

2 Likes

It certainly wouldn’t hurt at all! Here’s what I got. I broke down all words that were conceivably 2 into separate words.

34th T ‘the’ line 233
2nd The: line 261 : 28
1st old: line 325 : 92
2nd was: line 299 : 66
1st That’s: line 285 : 52
4th a: line 283 : 50
1st up: line 516 : 283

34T 289266 5250283

An OTP Bank branch
on Deak Ferencyu u (street)

in Mor, Hungary

5 Likes

That’s probably it! It’s the most accurate address we’ve got

3 Likes

How did you approach “blue-clothed”? One word or two? I can do both, I am just curious

3 Likes