MountieMail - The Mountaineer Mail Network!

Mountie Pen Pals!

Hey guys! For quite some time, I’ve been thinking about this subject… Technology isn’t always reliable, and there have been times where we’ve been locked out of sites, lost contact with people because we had no other way to reach them. So, how do we prevent this from happening to us? Well, we can go analog!

My idea is we send letters to each other. I think this could almost be a magiqal experience as well as practical. There’s just something different about sending physical mail to someone, crafting something unique for someone to find in their mailbox. Not only are we strengthening the strategies of the mountaineers, but we’re growing our bonds, and maybe doing a bit of magiq! How awesome is that?

What is this?
Pen pals are pretty much exactly that! They are two people who send each other letters in the mail, getting to know each other in an analog way! In recent years, pen palling has become something of an art form, where people use drawings, collage, and paper craft to make beautiful envelopes and letters. However, at its core, pen pals are just two people who write letters to each other, and it’s up to you how simple or complex you want that experience to be!

How do you participate?
So, the main thing is to post in this thread saying you want to participate! Then either you can PM someone else in the thread or wait for someone to PM you, and exchange contact info.

In addition to posting that you’re interested, I would also suggest telling a little bit about yourself? Things like:

• What are your hobbies?
  • What music do you enjoy?
  • What are your favorite TV shows and movies?
  • Do you have other interests?
  • What is a fun fact about you?
  • What is your favorite thing about the MAGIQ-verse?

What are some examples of things to send?
Here are some examples of things you can send (in addition to a letter of course! :wink:)

• Washi tape samples
  • Travelers notebook inserts
  • Collages
  • Drawings
  • Photographs
  • Postcards
  • Stickers
  • Origami
  • Tea packets
  • Pressed flowers
  • Friendship bracelets

What are some examples of other people’s pen pal adventures?
Here are a list of people who blog about their pen pal adventures:

You can also check out the tags Penpalswanted, Penpals, and Snailmail on Instagram!

So, with that out of the way, post below if you wanna be pen pals with a Mountie! :smiley:

20 Likes

Also, here is an additional post to answer your questions about this thread:

How will this work?
Every month, I will post asking if people want to be in a sorting. The sorting will happen on the first of the month, and mailout day will be closer towards the end of the month. Then, the cycle begins again!

What do I have to send?
A letter, simple as that. You can send as much as you want, but it must include a letter of some sort.

One thing - if you feel intimidated by the possibility of someone sending you a fancy package, feel free to message someone ahead of time and ask them to scale it down. We’re focused on letters first and foremost, so don’t worry if you’d rather skip the rest.

16 Likes

I like this! A simple letter is quite easier to create and send and you’ll definitely have less problems with mail. Not that I’d no anything about the last part.

8 Likes

I’m a total package fiend and I know how daunting it can be, especially during hectic months. But I think we can accommodate both the more easy going and more high octane participation in this experience.

I actually thought about it a bit more, and I think it might be good to add it to the signup process? So if you’re signing up for May’s sorting, then you’d say “I’d like to be in the May sorting, and I want to exchange letters only” or “I’d like to be in the May sorting, and I’m cool to exchange packages or letters.”

13 Likes

I mean, i’d like to be in on the fun, but i recently went back to work, so getting a letter or package off a boat may be difficult to do, unless the package comes in small bits and bobs, along with maybe some small notes and the like.

But im definitely down to participate if i may!

6 Likes

Sure, you’re welcome to join in if this interests you! However, since you have limited availability, it might be easier for you to reach out to folks from this thread and set up a pen pal situation that way. The monthly sortings have a pretty fast turnaround time (mailout is about 15 - 20 days from the sorting day), so that might be difficult on the boat. I’m sure there are some folks who would want something less deadline-based though. :cjsmile:

7 Likes

Thanks Rev! I’ll look out for it and see if anyone wants to do so!

5 Likes

So are we doing a sorting this month? Because if so, I’m in!

5 Likes

@Tinker - Sure!

@Ginger, @OracleSage, @Ravenwing, @Viviane, @Remus, @Deyavi, @Mr5yy, @Sellalellen, @Cj_Heighton

Any of y’all interested in pen palling this month? Let everyone know if you’d prefer to do letters only or if you’d like to do packages or letters as well. :cjsmile:

10 Likes

I’m in! I’m moving this month so probably just a letter since I doubt it’ll be difficult to track down pen and paper ?

8 Likes

Yep! I’m in!

8 Likes

Oh yeah, I should probably specify for myself as well. I’ll be in this month, but would prefer to keep it to very small packages, I think.

8 Likes

im in. I can busk some money together and even if i dont make much i have a previous paycheque

6 Likes

this is for the month of june yes? cause i’d like to hop in. maybe i can send something small like a week or two late cause i leave ship the 23rd.

9 Likes

I am in. It will be a busy month, so probably just a letter.

10 Likes

I’m in. letters would probably be easiest!

9 Likes

letter only month, maybe? could be fun to just do a letter packed with photos and stuff

4 Likes

I’m in to do a letter only month. Drawings, photos, etc. would be cool.

3 Likes

Annnnnd, here is June’s Penpal Sortings!

Mailout day will be on the 25th. I extended the date a bit, since several people mentioned this month being hectic.

10 Likes

i shall write a letter and a small other thing,.

cause yes

6 Likes