JOLABOKAFLOD 2020

Afternoon All,
Would anyone like to take part in a little Yule/Christmas fun?
(I know Halloween hasn’t even been but this is reliant on Snail Mail & very probably international shipping)

Jolabokaflod or roughly translated Book Flood is an Icelandic tradition of book giving. Gifts are opened on 24th of December and the day is spent reading with warm drinks.
Everyone taking part in our little version of this, receives 1 book from a person in the group and sends one book to another person in the group.

** If you’d like to take part, please comment on this post. **
Feel free to add genres you like, genres best avoided, books you already have multiple copies of, preferred format(eg Kindle so you can read with the open Dyslexic font, audio book, language), Goodreads or catalogue lists for duplication avoidance.

The book you gift doesn’t have to be new, it can be from your own shelf or from a charity shop, etc. It can be your current favourite, or one you’ve picked based on your recipients preference.

** I’ll list who is sending to who on the 4th November. **
This should give everyone a couple weeks to find books, organise and get them posted before the last recommended postal dates.

UK Royal Mail
USPS
Australia Post

13 Likes

I love books and I love giving gifts so this seems like the perfect combination!

YA and middle grade sci fi and fantasy are generally favorites, but I’ve been branching out lately into new adult and adult books in those genres, as long as there’s not too much “adult” content because I couldn’t care less about that stuff. I’m open to trying other genres too, especially if its someone’s favorite book (the only thing I don’t read is really horror, sorry)!

I wish I had a catalogue of every book I have but honestly I don’t mind having duplicates, especially if they’re given as a gift! Plus not even I know every book I own, I have 2 shelves full of books but enough left over to maybe fill one or two more scattered around my house. Chances are if I get a duplicate I won’t realize it haha! I once ordered myself a duplicate because I forgot I already owned it.

Edit: this may have been too long a response to this topic, seeing everyone else’s, but I’ve never been known for my brevity!

8 Likes

Also super down, I like
-literary
-romance
-scifi
-fantasy
-mystery

5 Likes

This sounds really fun! Is it alright if I send a well-loved book? Or is new preferred?

I love fantasy especially, otherwise, I pretty much read everything!

6 Likes

Well loved is perfectly acceptable :slight_smile:
My understanding is this is about spreading joy, and a well loved book practically drips all the synonyms of joy.

6 Likes

yeah sure why not

Books i like are most scifi and fantasy, but i read a bit of classic lit and some nonfiction. Been binge reading old 70s scifi recently and thats been great fun.

5 Likes

I like fantasy, magic, historical fiction (Tudor/Elizabethan).
Happy to try pretty much anything on a recommendation, but not horror.

Posting details, sorry it’s a day late.

@violetlily sends to @Sapphire
@Sapphire sends to @violetlily
@Wyvern sends to @VictorianFlorist
@VictorianFlorist sends to @Cj_Heighton
@Cj_Heighton sends to @Wyvern

I briefly debated full round robin but this way I think everyone is posting on to the same landmass which should give a little more leeway with last postal dates.

Please drop a pm to who you’re posting to, to confirm addresses.

Im really looking forward to Christmas Eve and enjoying a new read :cjheart:

8 Likes

@Sapphire so post? Or the more common delivery method of battle charge over clifton suspension bridge?

5 Likes

Post might be safer. Border seems to be getting more political by the week :frowning:

5 Likes

Can I still participate? I just joined the forum a couple of days ago and found this post only a moment ago. If not, there’s next year, so no big deal.

5 Likes

I guess it depends if people on your continent have already sorted books for each other.
@Wyvern @VictorianFlorist @Cj_Heighton are you guys all sorted or would you be ok for a last min change to add @cj.wolford to the mix?

5 Likes

I haven’t given my address to @VictorianFlorist yet, so we could probably fit @cj.wolford in between us. Vic could send to cjw, and cjw could send something to me? If that’s ok with the others.

5 Likes

Wyvern, you’re meant to send a book to me per Saph’s post. You can send a book to CJ wolfhard and CJ can send a book to me. Then we’re all sorted, since I already have CJ H’s address.

6 Likes

Sorry I’m losing my marbles this morning lol. I’ve been desperately trying to make a software program work all morning and it’s really not cooperating, so my brain is kind of fried.

6 Likes

No trouble at all! Glad we’re all sorted now tho.

6 Likes

So amended.
@Wyvern sends to @cj.wolford
@cj.wolford sends to @VictorianFlorist
@VictorianFlorist sends to @Cj_Heighton
@Cj_Heighton sends to @Wyvern

@cj.wolford if you could let us know what kind books you’re interested in it’d help Wyvern :smiley:

6 Likes

Surprise me! As long as it’s not self-help, cooking, religion, psychology, or business related, I’m all :eyes:! Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Historical Fiction / Romance (scandalous!) / Detective / Mythology / whatever – it’s all good.

7 Likes

Being collected tomorrow :slight_smile:
Don’t forget to send before the last advised post dates.

7 Likes

Happy Jolablokaflod, Everyone!

I’ve already sent mine. I’m really hoping Victorian Florist likes what he got. (I mean, I did ask and he gave me a list, so…) lol

7 Likes

I don’t mean to be rude but I think Vic prefers he/they pronouns

7 Likes