Fragment 14: OBSCURIOTEMPUS FOUND

do we want to keep the rhyming scheme?

it was AA,BB,CC,DD.

and the 5th verse was fine how it was worded. (the hard R in Brow throws it off a bit, and the brow is above the eye.)

make it “the great winds hushed”, and then “and the anvils were shushed”

like this:

As the news spread through,
The great winds hushed.

The forges went cold,
And the anvils were shushed.

Great minds paused,
And their tomes did drop,

Brave travelers tarried,
Their adventures did stop.

And the Guardians of Gold
Shed a final tear on their bow.

As the kind healer said,
It was her time to go.

maybe?

9 Likes

I was trying to keep the rhyming going, but I hadn’t finished editing it. This version looks better than the one I was making up. The only thing I can find wrong, from all of them, is the ending. It feels out of place.

6 Likes

I’m not sure the last verse works. It seems short in comparrison to the others and seems to interupt the flow.

6 Likes

So, I’m trying to take what we’ve put up already and add or remove syllables so that it would fit neatly into the melody Nim and Ashburn cooked up from the numbers (roughly 5 or 6 syllables, preferably 6 for the first line and 5 for the second). Here are a few verses I’ve done:
1: “As the news spread o’er them,
The Great Wilds fell still.” (removes the repetition issue with shush, and it’s easier to sing. Verse 2 would need a new rhyme.)

3: “Great minds paused their pond’ring
And their tomes did drop” (adds syllables to the first line)

6: “Kindly healers bless her
spirit as it goes.” (lengthens the end, and it still rhymes if we can change Eben’s “bow” to “bows”

I think the other three verses could use some syllabic tweaks to fit the melody, too, if anyone is up for it.

12 Likes

I took a different approach and tried to fit the words to the music by using melisma (using more than one note for a syllable). I would try to explain how I’ve done it exactly, but it’s easier if I just record it for you to listen to. I can get it to you guys in like an hour?

Edit: If you guys want to keep on tweaking the poem/lyrics in that time, feel free.

12 Likes

I would love to hear your idea.

9 Likes

Love this! Keep up the awesome work!
Do you think we need to include the elements in the song somehow though?

8 Likes

I’m super excited to hear what Nim’s come up with!

@OracleSage, I think we were working on the assumption that we could sort of use either the six guilds or the six elements as the basis for each verse. Unfortunately, the box wasn’t terribly specific with its demands. :joy: And we actually do use the Wilds to reference Balimora in this version.

Here’s a full set of the tweaked-syllable style verses, in case we decide to use them:

"As the news spread o’er them,
The Great Wilds fell still,

Forges dimmed their fires,
Hammers ceased their trill,

Great minds paused their pond’ring
And their tomes they dropped,

Brave adventurers tarried
And their travels stopped,

Guardians of gold shed
tears upon their bows

Kindly healers bless her
spirit as it goes."

13 Likes

full stop. thats good. though the 5th verse doesnt completely match in my head. (the way its written doesnt match the cadence in my head, but that can be a personal thing)

i like it

7 Likes

Thanks, Grim! Yeah, the enjambment is in an awkward place, and “gold” and “shed” are both stressed syllables, but I decided it was okay since the last two notes in the line are both whole notes. Anyone’s welcome to tweak, of course!

8 Likes

What do you guys think of this? (https://d39z42ofxysd63.cloudfront.net/original/2X/6/6c95f841e5be46bd155d6f79141147f310239106.mp3

Sorry, it’s a little on the low side for me lol. (Also, note to self: don’t try to upload .wav files :smiley:)

16 Likes

Holy smokes, Nim, your voice is lovely. :heart_eyes:
I think it works either way. Anyone else have a preference?

9 Likes

It sounds awesome!!! I was going to suggest doing a choir for the song, but your version is beautiful.

8 Likes

Thanks guys! But question is, what are we sending Knats today? The song? The message from yesterday? Both?

10 Likes

We can try to do both. Send the song since it is a priority, than the message.

6 Likes

We can always put them into one file, easy enough to do

11 Likes

It’s beautiful. Great work everyone.

12 Likes

Since the full message doesn’t always go through, I think it would be a good idea to keep them separate, maybe put a pause between the recordings so they have a less chance of becoming garbled.

Edit: Also remember we don’t know what the time limit for us to send is anymore. So the sooner we send, the better.

8 Likes

I got shivers listening to that. It’s beautiful @Nimueh.

11 Likes

Well, I’m not even sure what file type we’re on, so if someone wants to edit togther stuff or just covert and send, that’s up to you guys. I’m still really not sure what these dream rules are…

Also, thanks everyone! Nice to finally be getting something done with this one!

9 Likes