Fragment 14: OBSCURIOTEMPUS FOUND

Well, the safe space would collapse the instant she woke up. And if she was imagining a place for her to be safe, we wouldn’t be allowed in because we an uncertainty. And anything that might cause her not to feel safe would be instantly removed from the area.

5 Likes

Give me a minute and I’ll show you what I mean; I’m just writing something up to demonatrate.

4 Likes

Okay. Im leaning towards you idea now, so what you have might push me over the edge.

An idea for it could be that we read The Ant and the Caterpillar. Since it’s a childhood story, Knatz would feel comfortable with it and at the same time we get her to build the safe space.

4 Likes

You are in a large room. Before you, a fire burns brightly in a stone hearth. You can feel the heat on your face as you look at it, the smell of pine burning tickling the back of your throat. Two oversized armchairs are in front of it, both well-worn but clearly still very comfortable. On a small oak coffee table between the chairs are two steaming mugs of sweet hot chocolate. The whole room feels warm and somewhat homely.
You take a seat in one of the chairs and pick up one of the mugs. Suddenly, you notice the chair opposite you is occupied. [Insert a description here]
“Hello Knatz, my name is [insert speaker’s name]. I am a friend of Augernon’s and a part of the lodge that helped you all with fragment 13. We’ve lost the ability to communicate with him, but we found this way of speaking with you. This place is a dream space we have made together where we can talk. We need your help.”

this conversation goes on and can be changed as needed, but the idea is that every night you start with the opening few paragraphs almost identically, maybe each time changing slightly to jog the memory that she’s been there before. Maybe there’s now 4 cups of coco, 2 of which are empty from the previous meeting. Maybe the fire has died down slightly and needs stoaking. The place doesn’t exists, but for the purpose of the dream it does. It’s safe because it dies when the dream does.

15 Likes

Have we considered asking Knatz her surname? Is it possible that could be all we need to know? If its initials are B. I think its safe to assume.

3 Likes

It’s pretty good idea. You could even include new people by having a knock at the door.

4 Likes

That’s just what I meant @Nimueh. Brilliant stuff.

6 Likes

Actually, this reminds me of sleep tapes, by Jeff Bridges.

4 Likes

That’s pretty much what it is, suggestion. No one said if we can’t use magiq we can’t revert to other means :smiley:

7 Likes

You could even include sounds, like the stirring of a cup!

5 Likes

That sounds really great…but can we pull off all the bells and whistles in just under 11 hours? If it is a dream, maybe we don’t have midnight to noon like we had 4PM to 4AM…maybe she has to get our sound file/dream scene before she wakes up…

6 Likes

It’s pretty easy. I’ll post a version in a little bit actually. Not the final, but just to show.

5 Likes

Okie doke! If you guys think it’s possible, I trust you! I don’t have a ton of experience with audio editing, so I just wanted to make sure we weren’t biting off more than we could chew right off the bat.

4 Likes

If someone writes the scene and records the scene setting stuff (needs to be read calmly), then another records the speech, I can get it edited very quickly, exported and sent.

7 Likes

I’ll have a version up in a couple minutes of the setting.

4 Likes

I think your scene was really nice as-is…and maybe to keep it familiar @Robert should do the voice-over again? Not to voluntell you into it, but she has already heard your voice to some extent…

8 Likes

I really don’t have the time to do a voiceover today, sorry.

Also, I’m fuzzy on the mechanics of what we’re doing. This is a woman who dreams the future and knows to trust her dreams of the future, assumedly because they come true. But we seem to be going into a ‘let’s sit down and have a conversation with her as ourselves’ direction. That’s not going to be something she’s used to.

Hoenstly, I do think your method can work, I just I worry telling her ‘hey, on top of Ascender and Augie and Ali we’re some new people who also need your help’ may snap what little resolve she has left and push her to huddling in a corner and giving up. But that’s me. I’m a worrier.

She has literally told us that she has 2 options. Either go back and work on the fragment, or give up. All we need to do is nudge her in one direction, not overload her.

I think if done with conviction and feeling as you guys are obviously doing, you can help her in the right direction as well.

16 Likes

Ah…sorry :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: I’m sure it won’t make much difference either way who does the talking

Edit: also I think there’s a way we can phrase it so it’s less “we need your help” and more “we can help you”. If we make it clear that we were working with Augie to open the book, it shows there are more people than she thought on Team BoB and might convince her to stay the course. It all comes down to our tone and our word choice, I think

9 Likes

Here’s a version of the setting. I can do it better, but this was just to show.
(https://d39z42ofxysd63.cloudfront.net/original/2X/a/aeed6f92cd482e92580dd04f843449416933afb4.mp3

4 Likes

Yeah, of course, totally use “we can help you”. The above was just a way of demonstrating the overal priciple of what we were doing.

4 Likes