Book Shop News

Be sure to let the wax melt across the entire top of the candle when burning it, especially the first time, otherwise tunneling can happen, which “drowns” the wick. Heating the entire top of the candle will fix it.

4 Likes

Maybe I accidentally splashed some wax onto the wick when I moved it. I’ll try excavating some more of the wick once the wax hardens and maybe I can let it breathe more. I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

I’ve had this with a few of them on the first burn, where I’ve had to relight a few times. But after that, they’ve all burned great.

2 Likes

8 Likes

You know, this was bugging me, the wick thing, so I did a little (a lot of) research last night.

The wick I’m currently using is made for soy/natural blends, but the flame it holds is described as “low and flat, tear-shaped” whereas a couple of other wick options have a taller flame, and I wonder if that might be the source of the issue a couple of you have had getting your candles to stay lit? With the amount of fragrance oil I use and the softness of the soy/coconut wax, I wonder if the little low flame gets drowned if I clip the wick too short?

So, I’m going to test it out! I ordered a new batch of wicks last night with taller flames and they should be here in a week or so (I prefer taller flames myself, but I initially bought these wicks from a fellow business owner who’d overbought supplies for their own candle hustle.)

If anyone runs into issues keeping the wick lit in your AG Alchemy candle let me know and I’ll send you a replacement wick, free of charge. It’s not too hard to replace the wick, you just need tweezers, pliers, or even strong fingernails to pull the old one out of the little metal clip at the bottom of the candle jar, and stick the new one in.

10 Likes

I did get mine to work. I just had to scoop out some wax to expose a bigger portion of the wick and now it seems to be staying lit, so you might be right about that. Maybe the small flame needs more room to breathe than a taller one.

7 Likes

Ordered a Martin candle, I’m very interested to try it out. I usually tend to like the nature-oriented ones like Imbolc and Alistair and Ben, but I think I’ll branch out and try something a bit different this time. It sounds like the people who have gotten it already have really liked it, so I’m optimistic.

10 Likes

I’m slowly growing my collection of Ackerly Green objets d’art.

14 Likes

Ahhhhhhhh :cjheart:

7 Likes

I’m so torn about my Hermie sticker - laptop or RocketBook?!

10 Likes

I’m going to put Hermie on my moleskine that I’m keeping TBS notes in, but I also appreciate a good laptop sticker!

Yesterday I ordered four of the AG candles to place around the house because I was worried about their continued availability. (I got all except for Deirdre because I’m sometimes suspicious of florals and I was concerned that it would be hard to find packaging for five candles. It was a tough decision, though, because I love all of the Deirdre base notes–cedar, amber, and musk. I may need to order it later…)

10 Likes

I saw your order, and I’m shipping it out today! Thank you so much!

Florals aren’t usually my thing either. I prefer greener less blossomy notes when it comes to botanical candles, but I wanted to offer options for everyone. Deirdre is very rose/floral forward when cold in the jar, but gets a lot more nuanced when lit.

I’m going to start turning the extra wax I always have into little testers and will throw some into orders in the future!

12 Likes

Just got my Martin candle and I really like it. It really does remind my of an old bookstore which is awesome.

7 Likes

Candles are here! Candles are here!

Conversation with Spouse, a candleholic
-insert much sniffing of candles here-
H: Author-designed and crafted! He really did a great job, didn’t he?
S: Oh wow! Very impressed!

12 Likes

:cjheart: oh wow, that makes me SO happy! Thank you so much for sharing your pics, your thoughts, and your unboxing!

Also, hi kitty!

11 Likes

Pro-tip: Imbolc + open windows on an early spring day = your home will smell like a meadowland adventure. Something about the cool air just really lifts it!

10 Likes

Don’t freak out or anything, but both The Briar Society: Chapter One adaptation AND the
Neithernor RPG Alpha Handbook are out today!

If you’re into RPGs, or you’re interested in finding out what happened in last year’s Briar Society narrative and how it all connected to The Book of Briars release on the forum (even members who experienced it might find something new), go check them out. :cjheart:

The Briar Society: Chapter One is also the first book we’ve done that includes photos and images for the puzzles, including the work that members created to solve them!

Finally, just look at these covers:

11 Likes

Those covers :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

That “N” especially is just…heavy. Like, you could pick up the N and throw it at someone.

10 Likes

I want a 3D printer just to make one to throw.

10 Likes