4. The Search For Magiq: Peering Arts

Below is the gist of what was sent to Eaves this morning:

Ascender’s gone. The veil spell (called Determiner 12) had a history of being volatile enough to destroy the caster, and the recent changes that were made in an attempt to stabilize it did not change that. The memories that Peering Arts dug up were what got caught up in what we assume was the calling the corners part of Determiner 12 as it was cast.

Other important things from the last two journals:

• Determiner 12 is made of pieces of twelve spells, making a three-tier protection against what the spell deems a threat/unnecessary with occasional allowances for messengers to come in and out.
  • A long meeting decided that they would use the spell, and that the Mountain and the Mounties in the forum would be within the protections of it.
  • Ascender spent two weeks “looking for a magiq ring to protect him from the spell”, which we read as “set his affairs in order.”
  • Endri knew that the creepy mirror lady was coming for Ascender and called him on his BS before he cast the spell.
  • Endri was the one that requested that the Guide be the determiner, and that the forum folks be the primary target for protection should things look like both groups couldn’t safely be boxed in together.
  • Ascender has a daughter out there somewhere whom he’s never met (perhaps some of what he did during that two weeks relates to her?)
  • Knowing now that D-12 wasn’t a unilateral decision of one person, maybe find a way to allow more communication through without taking a block of magiqal C4 to it and leaving us completely exposed.

Here are the full contents for the Light and Aether journals:

25 Likes

How long was it before Eaves replied last time… It feels like this time is taking longer. Hope Eaves is ok.

18 Likes

3 days or thereabouts, a second bout of huge spell sickness may be harder to recover from especially so soon after the last time.

16 Likes

I go on hiatus for a few months and people are casting spells and going on magiqal yet dangerous journeys without me? But yeah, I hope Eaves is okay too, it’s kinda worrisome.

8 Likes

Very true.

8 Likes

A new reply on Mountaineer Recap: The Week of April 9th

20 Likes

Oh my, this isn’t sounding good… Guys, we need to do something. I’m not sure what, but I don’t like the thought of our friends going up against the Silver without us.

15 Likes

I don’t really know how much use we’ll even be if we could help them? They’re already almost out of magiq, we don’t really have any left either and the silver have a lot of magiq. So we’ll be basically fighting with sticks again a very magiqually powerful enemy. Frankly I don’t like our odds in that situation at all, personally I think we should stay behind the wall Ascender created to protect us.

Unless of course we can find a way of breaking the wall without destroying it’s magiq so we can use the magiq against the silver. It was created with a lot of powerful and potent magiq after all. We know that the keystone of the wall is the guide to magiq and thus is its weakest point if we wanna try and carefully undo the enchantment. However f we do managed to do that then we kill off the last remnants of Ascender entwined with the 6 spell anchor points.

So we’re left with three/four decisions in two parts, part one is if we even help or not (Considering we’d be fighting a superior enemy). Part two is if we do help then do we finish off Ascender to save the Sanctuary or loop back to not helping and letting fate decide.

EDIT: I feel that I should also point out that Ascender died to protect us so do we really wanna throw his sacrifice away?

13 Likes

Yes, he died protecting us, but certainly not with the endgame of being a butterfly preserved in a glass case, a relic kept away from the outside world for the rest of time.

We’ve become stronger since then, both in numbers and with finding the aliquary if it comes to it.

I think we need to get out, we just need to be certain that we’re as prepared for what’s outside as we can be before we break the seal (however we manage that).

19 Likes

Unfortunately Eaves didn’t seem to have any insight into rewriting the wall spell which was one of our main hopes. That would at least let us confer with the rest of our allies on this.

14 Likes

We don’t know how to use the aliquary or how it’ll help us or if it’ll even work with how little magiq there is left

9 Likes

And of course if everyone outside is functionally out of magiq that means we’re probably not far behind.

10 Likes

but the aliquary has an entire stock of magic of its own?

8 Likes

True, and perhaps we could fashion a spell resembling what we used in the cataclysm where we drew magiq from objects. That would allow us to use the magiq stored in the aliquary

11 Likes

so, all we gotta go, is use the aliquary to hit the book.

they said the door to this was the guide to magiq. we might need to destroy it again.

7 Likes

Random crazy idea:

We may or may not be able to take down the veil. We have the alchemical sigils, and those are powerful, we have the aliquary, we have the name of the spell and some form of it’s basic instructions. That might not be enough to crack the veil. Even if it did, it might destroy the Guide.

But what if we could move the veil? Move it from us to Sanctuary? Just unravel it with the sigils and aliquary enough to relocate it and rebuild it? (Maybe with a better mechanism for communicating in/out of it.)

We’d have to recreate large sections of the spell. Unless we could find a way to contact Endri or Bash. They’d know enough about Determiner 12 to give us some pointers.

17 Likes

You might be right, it would probably be easier to just rework the existing spell, edit the whitelist as it were, so that we’re no longer hindered by it. We definitely need to be sure we’re ready before we attempt that though.

12 Likes

Hang on, hang on, hang on… The Silver can’t attack them if the can’t find them. If they’re using a magical echo location to seek them out, what if we can send out a “red herring” pulse? Throw them off track?
Instead of of breaking or moving the veil, what if we make use of it in its current function?
Like… Ugh, the shapes in my head are so clear and putting them in text is an utter vexation.
Little Red House. The story and the items and the faith in the process - the utter dedication of everyone invested in it - created one of the most magiqal and influential spells pretty much ever, yeah?
So… Let’s write a new story, one that protects all who protects magic, use the veil and the sigils as the artifacts, doubling the power of Ascender’s sacrifice in pulling double duty for the veil, and our additional layer to it. Then we use the magiqal resonance of the veil as a… a… I don’t know… focus… new keystone, but we use the story to change the shape of how it works - use its magical density and resonance to create a new magical pulse that can 1) disrupt the Silver’s echo location attempts and 2) act as a beacon… magiqal morse code… conduit… vibration that carries messages and magiq… magiqal message in a bottle in a mundane ocean… kind of thing.
Is that possible?
Did that even make sense?
Oof. Poor Eaves - that message carrier nausea is no joke and I think I just accidentally caught a bit of it… :nauseated_face:

20 Likes

Ooooo. So you’re saying instead of breaking or moving it, we expand it to everyone the guide has (or would?) ever approved of? Wow, that’s a heavy idea. I like it, but it’s kinda scary.

Everyone who cares about magiq would be inside, so we wouldn’t be out of communication. But would that leave the Silver to run rampant over the ‘normal’ world?

I’m gonna have to sleep on this one. That’s a great big idea. It’s crazy. I love it.

19 Likes

I’m hoping that the magiq-locator bounce would ultimately trap the Silver in an echo chamber of their own making, but I have no idea how to specify that or weave it into a spell. I, too, also shall sleep on it, and maybe someone else can come up with a more efficient idea in the meantime :sweat_smile::sleeping:

11 Likes