Void's Journal

Hey everybody! I’m Void, the forum Wagoneer! Here’s a little info to let everyone get to know me a little better.

• He/him pronouns
  • I was born and raised in Michigan, where I live still.
  • As a true Thornmouth I’m a huge reader. I feel incomplete if I’m not in the middle of a book.
  • I’m a musician at heart, never to be found without a song running through my head. My primary instrument is the piano, but I’ve also taken up the mandolin and begun singing. I’m a big fan of Irish folk music.
  • I love nature. Feeling sunlight and fresh air on my face can lift me out of nearly any bad mood. I have a lifelong interest in studying insects, and I’m minoring in entomology. I have tons of plants in my room and I’ve gotten pretty good at caring for them.
  • I have a deep interest in studying languages, but like many I also have a hard time committing to just one. I speak Polish fairly well because my great grandmother was Polish so I wanted to learn it as part of my family history. I’ve also been trying to focus more on French because I would like to move to Canada in the future. I can comprehend German, but I don’t speak it well anymore.
13 Likes

I managed to secure two job interviews for the summer, one tomorrow morning and one next week. As much as I appreciate the experience I’ve gained from my current lab job, slouching under fluorescent lights and staring into microscopes just isn’t the type of work I’m built for. Two jobs I’m interviewing for are field tech jobs examining insects in greenhouses and orchards, which I feel will be much more fulfilling work for me.

I also have to move back home for the summer because I decided not to renew the lease on my apartment since I only have one semester left, which means if I’m going to have a job through the university it needs to be full-time to make the commute worth it. The interview tomorrow is actually with someone I have a class with currently, and the professor is one who I know well, so I have a good feeling about being able to get that one.

13 Likes

Good luck on your interview today (and next week, too)!

9 Likes

Thanks!

5 Likes

I got it! Apparently I was the first person they could find who didn’t already have a job for the summer, so they just gave me the position after the interview. The interview itself was really just a couple questions to make sure I didn’t have any objections to the type of work I’ll be doing.

12 Likes

High five! Congratulations!

5 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations!

6 Likes

My sister’s cat, who has been missing since the beginning of winter, just showed up at a house around the corner a couple days ago. Last summer she had a stroke which she recovered from but she was really touchy after that and nobody could get near her so she had to become a barn cat. Toward the end of the fall she suddenly disappeared and we never saw or heard anything about her. A couple days ago my sister saw a picture of her posted online from someone down the road so she went and picked her up and apparently she’s back to her old friendly self again! I’m very excited to get to see her again when I go back home this weekend.

9 Likes

WOW! That is both wonderful and strange!

Maybe she took a trip to…another place…and got some mental healing.

6 Likes

I just finished watching my first Netflix series in Polish. It’s called The Woods and it’s a 6-episode crime drama miniseries based on a book. The story was really interesting and kept me watching, since I was able to understand the main plot. There is an English dub of the series, but honestly the voice acting is terrible and awkwardly written. I’m pretty proud that I’ve gotten far enough to be able to do something like that.

6 Likes

What’s your strategy for learning Polish? I really want to learn and bring it back into my family, but kind of don’t know where to begin.

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve used several different resources on and off over the past few years. I would suggest starting with Mango languages. Many universities and libraries offer free access to it, and the program does a good job of getting you started with speaking instead of piling complicated grammar rules on right at the beginning. Polish has notoriously complicated grammar and if you focus too much on it at the beginning it makes it really hard to build speaking confidence later.

There are a few good books of short stories on amazon that are meant for language learners of various levels. Short stories are more manageable because it doesn’t take up as much time to stop and look up words as you go. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want some specific recommendations.

3 Likes

I’m so happy to finally have this news to share with all of you. I’M ENGAGED! Yesterday I proposed to my girlfriend of four years and now I’m so excited to be able to call her my fiancée (which I sometimes did before anyway)! It’s a big commitment but one I knew we were ready for. Planning everything was definitely a little stressful (especially talking to her very imposing and serious father beforehand) but it couldn’t have been more worth it.

15 Likes

Ahhhhhh!!! That’s so incredibly exciting! Congragulations!

7 Likes

Oh my goodness CONGRATS! I wish you guys all the best. :cjheart:

6 Likes

Congratulations, Void!! You both look so happy!

7 Likes

Congratulations Void!!!

6 Likes

The mighty Wagoneer returns, once again risen from forum death! It was an incredibly busy summer dear Mounties. I had a new seasonal job that required a whole lot of driving, which made me super tired every day. I had to make sure my courses were properly enrolled and arranged for this last semester before graduation, as well as trying to find a place to live. I got engaged (as seen above). I also worked on some personal mindset changes that have had a big impact on my life.

6 Likes

Went to the Renaissance Festival in Michigan last weekend. I wore a kilt for the first time and decided to use my Briar Society pin from last year as my kilt pin. I got several compliments on it from friends I went with.

10 Likes

What a great idea!

3 Likes