The Road to Fragment Thirteen: Sullivan's Letter & The Chronocompass

I would say to do both of those things.

1 Like

Ask for both. We’ll keep up the pretense until it’s necessary for us not to.

1 Like

Okay. Can we work on crafting a response email that whomever wants to be or pretend to be Nimueh can send?

How about:

Hi Augie,

Thanks for the reply! Nimueh means [insert exposition regarding your username, @Nimueh]. I talked it over with my fellow Mountaineers, and given all the stuff you folks are dealing with right now, we don’t really feel safe disclosing our location over unsecure channels.

You said you all were stuck on something with Fragment 13 - that’s right near where we are as well! We never got a Fragment email from the Book, though. Maybe you could copy what the Book sent you and send it over, and we can start helping out with clues for Fragment 13! "

As a token of good faith, we could attach a copy of the Joradian Non-Material Protection spell, and mention we’re sending it along with the email.

Thoughts?

13 Likes

Sounds good to me! Everyone?

2 Likes

I like your train of thought. It’s very succinct and doesn’t give away too much. But it is a good give and take.

6 Likes

Looks good to me, Augustus. Maybe we should add something about Fragment 12 or the third assessment to kind of give credit to the fact that we’re at the same place?

5 Likes

Are we sure we even took the third assessment though? I mean, I didn’t take any of them, but I’m almost sure they didn’t end up the the Dawson site emailing through time…

2 Likes

I definitely think we need to verify which locks they have opened, we have no evidence that their fragments follow the same pattern or order as ours did. I also would like to find out more about Fletcher Dawson, if at all possible.

3 Likes

Nothing is going to be the same as what they’re doing now because our Book is gone. But yes… I can tell you with 99% certainty that what we did was an assessment at the end of the Cosmos phase.

We passed the assessment and it led us to the next step in our journey, which, while not in its normal form, is not unusual.

Magiq is always guiding us where we need to be. Their assessment may not be the same as ours, but I’m certain we are in the same place though a couple decades separate us.

11 Likes

I’m certainly more than open to any suggestion or editing people want to do. It’s a “draft” afterall.

1 Like

A thought for a later correspondence:

Would it be too unbelievable/alarmist to say (at some point if need be) that one of our Mounties had a vision/prophecy/whathaveyou that if their Book didn’t open, that it would be destroyed? Maybe send a sketchy version of what’s left of our copy as a representation of said vision? (example below)

Naturally, I wouldn’t want to have it come off as super-pushy, but I have the feeling we don’t have the couple weeks to give Tinkerdown the chance to maybe get to letting us in through normal means.

A doomsday prophecy for the Book may get them to let us access it if we end up having to strong-arm a bit.

3 Likes

We could consider showing him the burned book our “nuclear option” later on, if all else fails and we’re not getting where we need to go with helping them open their book.

10 Likes

I know we’ve agreed that we can’t reveal our precise situation RE: time, but as a precaution should we make it clearer that so far we can’t get through to contact anyone but Augie? We still aren’t sure of the limits of this connection, and my concern is that, if he receives these as emails, he might try to give us contact information or a URL link that won’t work for us. Or does that seem like something we needn’t worry about?

3 Likes

I like this idea. If push comes to shove show him the picture.

3 Likes

Even prior to that, the original idea of having “a really bad feeling about the book” might stir them to action faster. Only provide evidence if our hand is forced, but otherwise treat it as a premonition and not a thing that actually happened/will happen.

5 Likes

My one thought that hasn’t been brought up yet I don’t think is that, yes I get it be mysterious don’t disclose location - good - but the way it’s worded might need tweaking.

Don’t want to disclose it over an insecure channel, but please over the same channel send us the Book you’re trying to protect and all the stuff you’re working on.

Just seems a little wonky to me is all. Perhaps rephrase it so we don’t blame it on the connection so that past Augie doesn’t potentially withhold information? Maybe just simply say with all the disappearances going on, it might be best not to give up our location?

As always feel free to disagree.

6 Likes

That’s a really excellent point. How about:

Hi Augie,

Thanks for the reply! Nimueh means [insert exposition regarding your username, @Nimueh]. I talked it over with my fellow Mountaineers, and with all the disappearances going on, it might be best not to give up our location.

You said you all were stuck on something with Fragment 13 - that’s right near where we are as well! We never got a Fragment email from the Book, though. Maybe you could copy what the Book sent you and send it over, and we can start helping out with clues for Fragment 13! "

Better?

13 Likes

@Ginger brought up what crossed my mind as well. I think this is a great message @Augustus_Octavian! I will spend some of the next couple hours before 4 thinking if there is anything else we can add, but I see nothing wrong with sending this

4 Likes

Me again.

So sorry.

I like it, but maybe it’s worth adding on the end of that sentence some sort of reassurance that we are in fact another Mountie Lodge? Just so we don’t sound like we’re avoiding his question, just being safe about it.

Or don’t
I mean, I’m just one person.

3 Likes

No, thank you for the suggestions! I thought about attaching a copy of the Joradian spell as a token of good faith and mentioning it at the end of the email message - what do you think? Would that work?

9 Likes