The Road to Fragment Thirteen: Sullivan's Letter & The Chronocompass

Two areas that stand out to me are:

“An unfathomable machine of secrets designed by myself and the council beyond our sight- a plan to thwart The Storm and its master.”

This is probably the biggest bit that doesn’t make much sense to me. How could you design something that you don’t know nothing about and can see? Unless it’s just missing punctuation then it doesn’t make any sense.

“To begin this final chapter The Mountaineers must use the most dangerous of magiq”

This to me suggests that to start fragment 13 we have to use the dangerous magiq but we don’t know what this magiq is so it doesn’t make much sense.

4 Likes

From the looks of it you are right.

The angle of the needle shows it is just printed on.

3 Likes

So here’s a question - should someone post a comment on Deirdre’s blog and ask her about the compass? I mean, if she was there in person, she should be able to tell us what the compass was pointed to, right?

7 Likes

Yup, that would make perfect sense and clear this up once and for all.

4 Likes

I, too, feel like there must be some sort of clue in the letter, if everything we need is really in the box.
@Robert, I noticed the odd phrasing “daughter of your mother” as well. Without trying to pry too much, do we know anything about Dierdre’s mother, or whether she could somehow be connected to this? It seems unlikely at this point, but I thought I’d ask to make sure we can rule it out.
I also thought it was odd that the metaphor in the first paragraph changes from standing at a “door” to the “shore” of the future, but I’m not sure what help that could be to us, if any.
@Rimor, I think “beyond our sight” just refers to The Council. And maybe the materials we have contain a clue that will lead us to a spell?

7 Likes

I left a comment.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks for finding Dierdre’s reply!

So it was on Gossmere, but it doesn’t actually matter any.

8 Likes

Yup, the great compass debate ends in a no contest, I suppose.

Well at least now I can stop typing Gossmere and Thornmouth into every website.

8 Likes

though this does seem to now leave us just with the letter…

4 Likes

So either we wait to see if something appears on the journal page, or “force” it by trying invisible inks and the like. I’m more for waiting now ,as they have shown up before.

2 Likes

http://forum.ackerlygreen.com/t/ascender-has-finally-responded/251?u=furia

I think it definitely has something to do with the storm, see “Seperate us, Crush us” and “Old machine” we know it has a master and has defeated the ones before us, and “Growing in size and power” It did most likely destroy the KS building and was able to reach underground where Marty and the others were. Edit:This part might be unrelated but “Follwed the butterflies” could mean something, isn’t the KS logo comprised of butterflies?

5 Likes

And he did use the word Climb twice, which brings me back to the theory that I thought Climber could be Ascender

3 Likes

Crazy theory: The journal’s title page is “The Monarch Papers: Neithernor.” What if the book is where Dierdre needs to go, like getting stuck inside a book with botched philosomancy like the first litmus test of the Magiq Guide talks about? It’s not, from what it seems, particularly dangerous, and might not be reaching into the past, but maybe we have to get her into the book!

10 Likes

It’s a good idea! It’s also support by this extract:

“All you need is inside this box. And the places these objects will take you.”

4 Likes

Is it just me, or does it look like there was a key hole or a mushroom on the inside of the chronocompass door where it looks a bit scratchy?

4 Likes

That’s brilliant! Maybe, going on a limb here, would could try your idea, but out the page into the Book of Briar?

3 Likes

But, would we need to fix the book first?

3 Likes

Should we look in the guide?

3 Likes

I found this

3 Likes