The Quarters of "The Ascension" - A Weatherwatch Introduction Thread

Thanks for the offer to help with solo exploration! I’ll likely take you up on that once I get settled in.

I make ink by intent and purpose rather than by color. I start with what the ink represents. I research materials, looking at folklore, historical usage, how the material interacts with the world around it, etc. Then I look for connections between the intent and the materials.

Ink made from natural sources is very much a living thing. I can tweak the color but ultimately the ingredients themselves determine it. Sometimes the color changes with time and light exposure or does other weird things. So if you wanted a certain color of brown ink, you should buy one from a standard ink maker. If you wanted an ink that represented rich, fertile dirt to nurture creativity and ideas, like planting seeds, that’s what I do.

I linked a video as an example. This is Fire Ink, made with Medieval Dragon’s Blood resin, Australian Grass Tree resin, 23.5k gold flake, powdered ruby, and high proof grain alcohol. It’s red, like fire, but more importantly to me, each of these items has has its own unique relationship and interaction with fire.
[Fire Ink]

Edit: That’s auto downloading a .mp4 video when you click the link. Sorry! I’m trying to get it to embed.

11 Likes

WOW, that ink is so beautiful looking! Do you have an example of what it looks like on paper?

6 Likes

Yeah, that ink sounds awesome, please share pics! As an artist, I am very curious if you sell these inks at all online. I already love the symbolic significance of the ingredients being put above the ultimate appearance of the ink. That’s so cool!

And of course, welcome to Weatherwatch :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Pics!

Sometimes I sell them and sometimes I don’t. It depends on why it was made. I did a Justice ink that was strictly gift only; this one I sold via a friend’s business. If you’d like, send me a direct message and I can get a coupon code for you.

8 Likes

Oh wow it’s so sparkly and pretty and interesting :heart_eyes: I’ll be taking you up on that

5 Likes

So who took The Ascension to San Francisco?

Source paulgralen.com

13 Likes

Guuuuuuys, we gotta stop forgetting to lay anchor in Neithernor :wink:

9 Likes

I am obsessed with this ink wow

8 Likes

Oh no, that’s what happens when we let her steer herself

8 Likes

I’m totally down for blaming @Remus if you don’t ask me any questions about it

8 Likes

Good idea. Quick, the rest of us need alibis.

8 Likes

Well I personally snuck into Thorn tower and shifted everything 3/4 of an inch to the left! It’s gonna annoy them sooo much :steve:

8 Likes

Seriously dude? I’m gonna bang my knees into everything now that it’s moved!

8 Likes

I step back a bit for one week and THIS is what you do?! :joy:

In all seriousness, though, we definitely used to joke about traveling around the world in The Ascension when we were still trying to unlock the BoB. That was before we’d gotten into Neithernor, though, so we didn’t have the best grip about how that all worked :joy:

8 Likes

Not my fault for not leaving a responsible adult in charge :colelulz:
Also happy cake day :birthday:

7 Likes

A fair enough point, I guess :ascendershrug:

And thanks!

6 Likes

Hey fellow Watchers!

I’m Bee- I’m a floral designer and illustrator, and I collect bones, art, and pinned bugs.
I’m really new to this community, but I’m really excited to be here! And excited that I have the ability to post/comment in here now that I’ve been around for a few days :wink:

I’m planning to read pretty much every topic in here, so I’m sorry if I necropost anywhere!

13 Likes

Hello and welcome! I’m enjoying your necroposting, especially your artwork, so please continue doing so!

10 Likes

We love necroposting @aswarmofbees! It breaths life back into old posts so we can enjoy them all over again!

10 Likes

I’ve been lurking without posting due to a busy week of moving into a new apartment. But better late than never! Welcome, @aswarmofbees! Hope you’re enjoying the forums. Necroposting is encouraged. ^-^

7 Likes