The General Discussion Super Topic

Na I’m talking about half blood prince year,

the one where you know who does you know what to you know who

5 Likes

This made me giggle, then wonder what in the world you were talking about.

4 Likes

If you’ve read the books you’ll know :cjtea:

3 Likes

I will point out I actually haven’t read any of the original seven since the last movie came out, so some specifics aren’t readily available. :sweat_smile:

Poking about a bit, it sounds like there could be other wandmakers in the UK, he just happened to be the best.

9 Likes

Oh man I’m so glad I said that instead of bluring out a real spoiler :joy:

5 Likes

When I was an active forum RPer, I always created some sort of Ollivander/-esque character. My favorite thing was learning all the different kinds of lore behind trees and different magic animals, and trying to pair them together to suit all the different characters. It felt like a puzzle, trying to figure out something true about the character that their creator maybe hadn’t even recognized.

13 Likes

Has anyone ever read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? It’s crazy long, but basically an MIT professor rewrote the whole series where instead of being a dummy, Harry tries to use logic and the scientific method in all of his approaches to the wizarding world and therefore fixes a whole bunch of logical fallacies in the plot while still being wildly entertaining to read. It’s a good one if you ever feel like reading basically 1000+ pages of smart HP fanfic

18 Likes

How have I never seen this before!
2 chapters in and I’m hooked, see you all next month :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That sounds like pure brilliance.

…I looked at chapter 1. I am already amused. (Parallel-Harry’s name is so posh! :joy:)

8 Likes

I know!! I forget what exactly it is but I want to say the premise is that Petunia marries an Oxford professor instead of Dursley so Harry has a much more posh (and more academic) childhood :joy:

11 Likes

Oh, man. Can I plug my favorite monster fanfic here?

It’s an Avatar: The Last Airbender epic called Embers, by Vathara. You can find it on ff dot net or AO3 (someone published it there with the author’s permission). It started with a little one-shot chapter about Zuko and Uncle Iroh fleeing the Fire Nation military into the Earth Kingdom disguised as refugees, and then it just kind of…takes off. The reason I love it is that the author took the structure and canon of a really good kids’ story and imbued it with all kinds of historical and cultural research based on the geography, history, and real-life inspirations for the Four Nations and turned it into a really deep examination of the characters’ growth in a framework influenced by their own culture. I re-read it at least once a year.

14 Likes

Two amazing fanfic recs in one day?! :star_struck:

Avatar is one of my favorite stories ever, in any medium. That is definitely going on the list.

And I’ll add one of my own! For any Lord of the Rings fans about, check out “Don’t Panic!” and it’s sequel, “Okay, NOW Panic!” by Boz4PM on ff dot net. It takes the premise of “girl falls into Middle Earth” that was a very popular fanfiction plot in the early 2000s, and does it with a stellar degree of realism, detail, and love for the source material. This poor twenty-something Tolkien fan named Penny wakes up in a marsh one morning with nothing but her pajamas. She’s found by one of the Rangers and the story takes off from there. It’s both hilarious and heartbreaking.

11 Likes

Maybe we should start a new thread for fanfic recs! These all sound great, and I’d much rather read than work so RIP to the paper I’ve got due tomorrow.

I just finished reading another HP one, “Oh God, Not Again!” where Harry ends up going back to his first year and doing everything over again. So he decides his goal is just to mess around as much as possible while still defeating voldy and saving as many lives as possible, while also getting (even more) rich. The method for going back in time doesn’t make a ton of sense but the storyline was hilarious and a super fun light read.

11 Likes

:hushed: Always yes to fanfics. I find it a saving grace for many a fan.
Considering that JK Rowling kinda retconned a lot of her previous works regarding time travel (among other facts) I’m sure your method of time travel couldn’t possibly be too senseless. :laughing:

8 Likes

Oh my goodness, you guys, TIME TURNER LOGIC. spontaneously bursts into flame

16 Likes

Omg! :deirdreexcited:

9 Likes

Yes time turner’s are weird but please rant on! :laughing:

5 Likes

That is such a fun and cool idea. Each house has such a variety of people besides just the stereotypes that tend to get represented the most. Even kids I watch that are getting into Harry Potter say " you must be evil" just because I’m in slytherin. :grimacing:

9 Likes

It sounds so cool!

Oh also @Viviane have you heard about the theory that Tom riddle isn’t Baldemort?

(I bet you were really confused by that typo @SabineBean :joy:)

7 Likes

No confusion here, just amusement haha, I’m not a big HP fan but I know the dealio! :blossom:

5 Likes