The Currently Reading Super Topic

I have so many of his books! Dad started me off with Bio of a Space Tyrant when I was 12, and since then I’ve collected as many of his books as I could. I have upwards of 20 now? Most of them are Xanth novels.

6 Likes

thats awesome!!! ive not read as much of his stuff as I would like, but I absolutely adore his work.

5 Likes

I love his concepts and ideas. The world he created in Xanth is fantastic. It’s just his writing style doesn’t suit me. I have similar problems with George Martin, Tom Clancy, and Terry Prachet.

5 Likes

to dry?

3 Likes

You know, that might be exactly it. I’d never thought of it like that. There are some nonfiction books I’ve read that I found more gripping to read.

5 Likes

immediately i think of farley mowats “Never cry wolf”. one of the most gripping non fiction stories ive ever read.

3 Likes

My go tos in nonfiction are Peter Hathway Captsicks African books. Death in the Long Grass and the similar titles books. They’re a little dated, but good reads that make me want to go to Zambia, Zimbabwe, and other Countries.

4 Likes

@smokey, That’s honestly the thing about British humor, you have to have a really dry sense of humor.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s the humor, I loved bbcs sherlock, and enjoy Monty python just fine for instance. Not my favorite but I enjoy it. It’s things like overly detailed explanations, which Martin and Clancy are especially guilty of. Like they’re talking themselves too seriously.

4 Likes

Like it shouldn’t feel like I’m reading a textbook.

5 Likes

Riiiiight. I get ya. You must not be very huge Tolkien fan than eh?

5 Likes

Yes and no. The silmarillion is a bit of a slog, but I have read the Saga of the Ring. I won’t lie there were some sections I skipped if it started getting too droll, but that one I was able to handle. Tolkeins writing voice was more engaging for me, I guess.

6 Likes

mmmmm… Interesting.

4 Likes

I don’t mean as a criticism, just that aren’t for me. I love the ideas that many of the create and the world depth is something I really enjoy. It’s not easy creating such expansive worlds. There are just some writers whose style clashes with my preferences.

6 Likes

No no, I totally understand. There’s certain authors I’m like that with to. No worries. I totally get it.

5 Likes

I just finished Red Rising and I’m about to start Golden Son, the next book in the series. It’s all very sci-fi and the first book is very reminiscent of the hunger games.

7 Likes

I’m in the midst of Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence just now, alongside TMP vol. 2. I’m trying to take it slow with Grey Sister and really enjoy it. The world building is top notch and the characters are epic.

7 Likes

Currently reading A Clash of Kings

7 Likes

About half way through this and its…unusual. Anyone else read it?

8 Likes

Currently reading Michelle West, “The Sacred Hunt” duology, waiting for the paperback publication of the next book in her House War series.

Also waiting for the paperback of George RR Martin’s “Fire and Blood”, and Patricia Brigg’s “Storm Cursed”.

9 Likes