The Currently Reading Super Topic

My hard copy reference materials have arrived!

17 Likes

:purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

Beautiful photo!

And I know not everyone can, but I wanted to thank you for buying them directly from Ackerly Green. I know fulfillment can be slower than Amazon, but the difference in what Amazon shares in royalties vs. what I make by readers buying directly from me is considerable.

AND I can personalize the books that come from the book shop. :cjheart:

18 Likes

I will never not love the shade of purple on C&T.
:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

13 Likes

Huh, I didn’t realize the covers had changed, my C&T is the dark teal blue color without the handle.

edit: I’ve just been informed by my SO that I did in fact comment on the covers being changed before, so I am losing my mind but not in the way I had originally thought.

16 Likes

Just finished The Divines as my debut book for February (started reading in February, I’m counting it!), and while I did really enjoy it, the teen girl antics made me extremely stressed out.

It was a similar experience to reading Sally Rooney’s Normal People, though, because the reason it made me so anxious was because it captured that life stage so accurately. Lots of “Why did she say that??” and “That’s definitely something I would’ve said and hated myself for saying at 16…” :grimacing:

12 Likes

Wow, it’s been a minute since I posted in here (I always seem to post when I’m done with books rather than when I’m actually reading them). Since my last post, my wife and I finished both the original Percy Jackson and The Hunger Games series and we finished The Lost Hero this morning! I also decided to read Clariel at the beginning of the month (which is Book 4 and a prequel to Sabriel by Garth Nix) and it’s reminded me why I love this world so much. While it isn’t a “return” to a book I’ve already read like many of my other books this year (it only features one character that was in the previous books), it is nice to return to one of, if not my absolute, favorite book series. My next reads will probably be Goldenhand (Book 5 of this series), The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (a prequel to The Hunger Games that I’ve meant to read since it came out last year), and the rest of The Heroes of Olympus series. I still haven’t finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but maybe I’ll find time for that this month, too!

The two other books I read last month were Good Omens (finally, after dropping it during high school) and We Keep the Dead Close which is a True Crime book on the murder of a Harvard PhD student in the 60s. Both of them were really interesting, but I’m the happiest about finally reading Good Omens because it was a light of comedy and fun (despite it being about, you know, the end of the world) that I needed last month. I first tried reading it in my junior year of high school, but I had to stop reading it because of some serious existential dread™ I was facing at the time. The beginning of the book aggravated that, so I had to stop reading to preserve my mental health at the time. I also hadn’t read any of Gaiman’s or Pratchett’s work before reading this book which definitely helped on this read-through. I really enjoyed it and I definitely encourage people who haven’t read it yet to give it a try, especially if you like Neil Gaiman’s other works!

16 Likes

Hi fellow bibliophiles! I’m new here but it feels like I wandered into my favorite library :slight_smile: I love reading and reading about what other people are reading. I’m currently reading the first Monarch Papers book. I’m also listening to the Cradle: Unsouled series on Audible which is enjoyable. The world building is fantastic. And slowly wading through Emma and Plutarch’s Lives with my teenager.

14 Likes

Can you tell me more about Cradle: Unsouled? Because I love me some good world-building and this title intrigues me.

11 Likes

It always makes me happy to see people reading Gaiman or Pratchett.
I’ve just leant my copy of Good Omens to my neighbor, who a year into lockdowns, has only just started to run out of reading material.

I’m yet to find an author to match Pratchett if I’m honest. The Watch series is probably my favourite and it’s a roller coaster in wonderful tales, comedy/satire and deep philosophy. If you fancy giving Pratchetts Discworld a go, do not start with The Colour of Magic.

13 Likes

What should my next Pratchett book be if I loved Good Omens?

10 Likes

It’s a nine-book series (yay!)by Will Wight. It’s like anime in novel form with action/adventure and sci-fi fantasy themes. The protagonist is born with very weak madra which gets him labeled as Unsouled in his village. Madra is the life force which enables people to fight, make things, manipulate reality etc. It’s like superpowers but you can unlock or achieve different levels of madra throughout your life. The series is ultimately the protagonist’s quest to reach beyond his low station in life. It reminds me of Naruto and the Last Airbender at first, but it evolves beyond that. I’m only in the 4th book so far but it has held my attention.

10 Likes

I’d suggest Mort or Hogfather.
Oh gods I’m struggling to describe either without spoilers.
Mort revolves around Death taking on an apprentice.
Hogfather is Christmas themed and epic! Some of my favourite quotes come from Hogfather.

9 Likes

I do so like Mort. I listened to it but I think I’d rather read it because of how cleverly Pratchett dropped profundities wrapped in absurdity. That is the genius of Pratchett. I’ve never read his collaborative works with Gaiman but I enjoy Gaiman’s books as well. What masters of their craft!

Is the Good Omens show like the book? I’ve hesitated reading it because the show seemed meh.

11 Likes

I quite enjoyed the adaptation, even if it had some things that were different than I imagined. Then again, I’m just one person and I have the bizarre quality of loving Good Omens but not particularly enjoying either Pratchett or Gaiman’s solo works, so what do I know? I might try Pratchett again with Mort, though, that one sounds fun.

10 Likes

The Good Omens adaptation is the truest adaptation of a book I’ve ever seen!
I absolutely loved it! There are bits they skipped because a budget just can’t stretch to that level of madness, but honestly it didn’t suffer for it. Where it did differ from the book it was true to the spirit of the book.
Gaiman also added a couple of bits that he and Pratchett discussed as a potential sequel. I’d recently read the book when I watched the series and it was beautiful to see/hear sections of the text verbatim.

10 Likes

Oh. My. HERMAN. :spiritseergimme:

You will absolutely not believe me, but Will and I were in gifted classes together in elementary school.

12 Likes

Will as in Will Wight?

6 Likes

I’ve recently gotten into Neil Gaiman’s books. I started with Neverwhere and absolutely fell in love with his writing style. I’ve since finished The Graveyard Book which is now my favorite book of all, and I grabbed a copy of Good Omens from a local used bookshop. He also has a collection of reworked Norse Mythology stories that I found which caught my interest.

I’m currently a meager handful of chapters into the complete version of The Count of Monte Cristo and while the cyclopean size of the book is certainly intimidating, I found the story to be immediately engaging, which is promising.

13 Likes

Yup.

Edit: now that I’m home, field trip pic from…1997/1998? Should be 4th grade Ashburn & 3rd grade Will Wight (mixed grades for gifted classes in elementary).

14 Likes

That is so cool! Even without the picture, I’d have believed you. He’s a talented author, it’s fun to see the youngling version.

10 Likes