The Currently Reading Super Topic

This looks like such a good book! I’m excited to find myself a copy.

5 Likes

Also, finished Flora and Fauna and starting Cosmos and Time. After that, I might take a swing at The Hate U Give.

12 Likes

I just picked this up while I was on a road trip. It’s both familiar and new, and it’s a lot of fun to read aloud.

15 Likes

Just finished Sarah Gailey’s Magic for Liars. Anyone else read it?

8 Likes

I have a couple of Shakespeare Star Wars books that’re similar, they’re such a fun time!

7 Likes

For all the medieval fantasy lovers here if you haven’t already please, please read the Throne of Glass series. I beg you. Although do be warned that there are some pretty well described sex scenes so if you aren’t into that I guess don’t read it.

Dear Mala this series is amazing. It hit me in the feels. All the feels. Even though Books, shows, movies (excluding Ladder 49) don’t really move me. Even though my favorite character only came in the third book I feel at least some connection to all the characters. Even those horrible characters, I respected what and why they were.

Just please, if you like medieval fantasy I’m damn near certain you’ll at least enjoy this series.

Edit: I’m finishing up the last book that’s why I put it here rather than Favorite fantasy

10 Likes

Please tell me someone else has read Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan. I’m 90% done and I love it and I’m suffering.

7 Likes

I’ve just finished reading “The Monarch Papers” and am about to start “The House of the Spirits” by Isabel Allende. Has anyone else read anything by her? Her books often have to do with some sort of strange magic.

10 Likes

I’ve read that one! It’s like a kind of generational magic, if I remember correctly. She has such a beautiful writing style, it reminded me of Marquez’s 100 Years of Solitude. My roommate is reading another one of hers right now too, so I might borrow it when she’s finished!

I just read Laura Ruby’s Bone Gap over the weekend because one of my coworkers at the bookstore recommended it to me and I really enjoyed it! It’s like a YA Hades-Persephone retelling, but set in rural Illinois. Now back to Lord of the Rings!

13 Likes

I’ve been in something of a reading rut since finishing the monarch papers, but I have finally read more than a few pages of a new book!
Currently reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman.
I find the concepts for his books different, but that might be because I rarely read outside the fantasy genre.
I’m getting along ok with Unwind, but I think I prefer Sythe.
Anyone else read his work?

10 Likes

I finished reading Clariel, and decided to go back and reread the original trilogy. Making slow progress what with work and social obligations, but wow, I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed these books! I may just buy myself new copies of the entire series after I’m finished paying down my debts

11 Likes

The Magician’s Apprentice by Trudi Canavan is really good, and I unfortunately haven’t been able to find either of the following books of the series in physical stores. An interesting aspect of them is that magicians all have a limited supply of magic within them but it is possible to draw magic from others, so some take apprentices as a source of magic when in need and others choose to take it by force.

11 Likes

I have the entire series; bought them all as they were published. I love the prequel book

6 Likes

Next year I will be studying Kelly Link as my “independent study” author and I am so excited to start “Magic For Beginners” this week.

11 Likes

I’m currently reading Scott Westerfeld’s third book in the Zeroes series, Nexus. I love this author, so I’m excited to see how he ends the story.

6 Likes

I thought Unwind was such an interesting book! I recommended it to several friends after I was done reading. I haven’t read any other books from Neal Shesterman, but I will check out Sythe.

7 Likes

@Catherine you’ve inspired me to start reading my copy of Lord of the rings again and finish it!

16 Likes

OMG, I have this same edition!

7 Likes

Omg twinsies!!! Do you also have the silmarillion and hobbit in the same style?

7 Likes

Yep!!!

5 Likes