Summer Update

so then we’d have:

s → l
u → v
n → g
h → o
i → p
e → y

so it can’t be a simple offset scheme because there’s different gaps between the various “input” letters to their “output” letters

11 Likes

Absolutely brilliant thoughts!

Going through with a simple find and replace, here’s what we get with the letters we have:

sunshine
iuinxhisnhjdtxhejeishnefisejahzcininhjedieuixisxhekjessujehnxhehezjxujhfxheinrhffunirzedezntiuznhxhejskhinbshhudtzjisexhkjhkhseznhxhejeniifzxhfznszaininhzxeujtenisxhzxnhirhhndaisinsukkhjxzedeeahufznuhjxixuteishhudtznsnejzxhnreixisxheeujtenhuxheinrhffunirzede

8 Likes

Perhaps the number offset for each letter is a pattern? Repeats like @Heather found above might be a repeating key.

9 Likes

I was just checking that…I get

s → l (-7 or +19 if we allow the alphabet to loop)
u → v (+1)
n → g (-7)
h → o (+7)
i → p (+7)
e → y (+12 or -6 if we allow the alphabet to loop)

7 Likes

Lots of sevens there, coincidence?? Maybe,

Here’s the frequency on non-sunshine letters left:

X-21
J-17
Z-17
F-9
D-8
T-7
K-6
R-6
A-4
C-1
B-1

If we go with 7, that leaves X as E, which we’ve already got covered. Or Q, if we go -7. Bit of a weird letter to pop up so many times.

7 Likes

Oh I’m on a roll and I think I’ve logic-ed some letters out!

Replaced x with t because of common use
Replaced j with r because there were a lot of almost “there” sections

Trying some more now

11 Likes

If we can’t Math it then maybe we can figure it out by force like a… what do you call them… cryptogram?

EDIT: At a glance, it looks like x could equal t?

8 Likes

K → P, which gives us the word ‘pressure’ in the middle there!

sunshine
Iuin this nhrdt there is hnefiserahzcininhredieu it is the pressure hn the hezrturhf the inrhffunirzedezntiuznht hers phinbshhudtzrisethprhphseznhthereniifzthfznszaininhzteurten is thztnhirhhndaisinsupphrtzedeeahufznuhrtituteishhudtznsnerzthnreitistheeurtenhutheinrhffunirzede

I think H becomes O or I in some situations, but I have to go through and do it by hand because of the sunshine swap, so it’ll take me a moment.

9 Likes

I just got n → W, h → O, d → L, t → D to make “world” in the beginning

Edit: Here’s where I’m at, capitol letters have been decoded, lower case still need to be matched…there’s definitely some legible words in there (I added some spaces where those were)

IuIN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE fISERaHzcINiNORELIEuITISTHEkRESSUREON THE HEzRTuROf THEINrOffUNIrzeLEzNDIuzNOTHER SkHINb SHOULD z RISE TO kROkOSEzNOTHERENIifzTOfzNSzaINiWHzTeURDENISTHzTWHIrHONLaISINSUkkORTzeLEeaHUfzNuORTITUDEISHOULDzNSWERzTONrEITISTHEeURDENOuTHEINrOffUNIrzeLE

10 Likes

Ok, going to go through and start at the beginning. For reference, here’s the substitutes we got:

L-S

V-U

G-N

O-H

P-I

Y-E

X-T

J-R

K-P

N-W

H-O

D-L

T-D

8 Likes

Update: looked back through the intervening posts to see the k → P, also spotted that z → A would make some words

IuIN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE fISERaHAcINiNORELIEu IT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART uROf THEINrOffUNIrAeLEANDIu ANOTHER SPHINb SHOULD ARISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIifATOfANSAaINi WHAT eURDEN IS THAT WHIrHONLaISINSUPPORTAeLEeaHUfANuORTITUDEI SHOULD ANSWER ATONrEITISTHEeURDENOuTHEINrOffUNIrAeLE

9 Likes

B-X gives us 'Another Sphinx should arise to propose another"
E-B gives us ‘What burden is that’

IuIN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE fISERaHAcINiNORELIEuITISTHE PRESSURE ON THE HEART uROf THEINrOffUNIrABLEANDIu ANOTHER SPHINx SHOULD A RISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIifATOfANSAaINiWHATBURDENISTHATWHIrHONLaISINSUPPORTABLEBaHUfANuORTITUDEI SHOULD ANSWER ATONrEITISTHEBURDENOuTHEINrOffUNIrABLE

Edit: U-F

IFIN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE fISERaHAcINiNORELIEFIT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART FROf THE INrOffUNIrABLEANDIF ANOTHER SPHINX SHOULD ARISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIifATOfANSAaINi WHAT BURDEN IS THAT WHIrHONLaIS INSUPPORTABLE BaHUfANFORTITUDE I SHOULD ANSWER ATONrE IT IS THE BURDEN OF THE INrOffUNIrABLE

9 Likes

r → C

IuIN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE fISERaHAcINiNORELIEu IT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART uROf THEINCOffUNIC ABLE AND Iu ANOTHER SPHINX SHOULD A RISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIifATOfANSAaINi WHAT BURDEN IS THAT WHICH ONLa IS IN SUPPORTABLE BaHUfANuORTITUDE I SHOULD ANSWER AT ONCE IT IS THE BURDEN Ou THEINCOffUNICABLE

9 Likes

f-m
r-c
a-y
i-G

hooo boy any thoughts on the c???

IF IN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE MISERYHAcINGNORELIEFIT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART FROM THE INCOMMUNICABLE AND IF ANOTHER SPHINX SHOULD ARISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIGMATOMANSAYING WHAT BURDEN IS THAT WHICH ONLYIS INSUPPORTABLE BYHUMANFORTITUDE I SHOULD ANSWER ATONCE IT IS THE BURDEN OF THE INCOMMUNICABLE

GOT IT! C-V

10 Likes

IF IN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE MISERY HAVING NO RELIEF IT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART FROM THE INCOMMUNICABLE AND IF ANOTHER SPHINX SHOULD ARISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIGMA TO MAN SAYING WHAT BURDEN IS THAT WHICH ONLY IS INSUPPORTABLE BY HUMAN FORTITUDE I SHOULD ANSWER AT ONCE IT IS THE BURDEN OF THE INCOMMUNICABLE

SUNSHINE

12 Likes

got it at the same time :joy:

IF IN THIS WORLD THERE IS ONE MISERY HAVING NO RELIEF IT IS THE PRESSURE ON THE HEART FROM THE INCOMMUNICABLE AND IF ANOTHER SPHINX SHOULD ARISE TO PROPOSE ANOTHER ENIGMA TO MAN SAYING WHAT BURDEN IS THAT WHICH ONLY IS INSUPPORTABLE BY HUMAN FORTITUDE I SHOULD ANSWER AT ONCE IT IS THE BURDEN OF THE INCOMMUNICABLE

14 Likes

Lmao internet high-fives all around, great work! Couldn’t have done it without ya.

Edit: have we seen a sphinx before? Another sphinx implies the existence of a first one, and I can’t recall.

Edit Edit, I’m riding that high: This appears to be a quote from Thomas de Quincey, in Confessions of an English Opium Eater. Gonna go into a wikipedia deep dive, but I’ve got a train to catch soon.

12 Likes

I’m just now catching up. Wikipedia deep diving is my favorite.

10 Likes

Why does all the fun stuff happen when I’m busy…

Great job everyone for working it all out!

can’t help but wonder if they’d all be recruited to code-breaking in WWII

12 Likes

Congrats lads! Good stuff.

6 Likes