Summer Update

Are there any other clues that would lead us to choose one way or the other? Or is this a truly free choice?

6 Likes

While I wasn’t there during this point in TMP, I feel as if this is a lot like the Oracular Eye that we encountered. While we only get one option instead of two here, I think it’s a similar setup: we will learn something no matter what, but there may be other things that we could have learned from choosing the others. I might be missing clues that lead us a certain way, though, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt :ascendershrug:

12 Likes

I definitely feel like it’s an Oracular Eye type situation.
Edit:
Okay that felt really wierd to say, now that I’ve had a moment to to think. It feels odd to be like
“Ah yes, I know what this is, I’m a long-time student of the migimystic!”
In reality I know nothing. We know nothing. We only know what little has been fed to us by the Books, the Council, or whatever forces deign to help us at the time.
Idk it just blows my mind that there is so much more out there and I hold only a small bead of it - (at this point I feel like I should gesture at my guild badge) The more I know, the more I realize just how much more knowledge and magiq is out there.
I sort of went off on a tangent there, but what I mean to say is, it could very well be like the Oracular Eye. Or it could be one of any number of entirely different, unimaginable things. I don’t know.

9 Likes

Morning Mounties. The sun’s almost up and people are starting to shuffle around. Gav’s already downstairs with Theo and I’m just checking in before I help with breakfast.

Poll seems to be holding steady at Sunshine. Should I wait for more votes or give it a shot?

10 Likes

I don’t really have any authority to make decisions, but also I’m stressed that if we wait too long will the connection might sever but I’m a sucker for FOMO (Fear of missing out) soooooo

I’m inclined to say pick it if there’s been no big change in the poll of late.

11 Likes

Looks like 5 for rain, 6 for snow, and 7 for sun. Not sure how many more folks might pop up to try and throw the numbers in another direction at this point, I’d say go for it!

11 Likes

Ok, going to scratch out Snowdrift and Rainfall (just to be sure) and also write down Sunshine. Will let you know what happens…

12 Likes

Okay.

Finally made back upstairs and everything that was on that page is totally gone and it’s now just a bunch of letters. I don’t know if it’s good or bad. Gav helped me make sure I wrote it out right just in case this was supposed to happen and not some kind of codex glitch. What do you think?

ydezrpgvffhrgpyoxuhgytjveyoxlpxpyrghxzjynlgztdvholpytvxpxjhugzfvoaeydezxjhkkvlgplpadghorponxzoxlpgytjvexzonigpazlgzfhxzfipgyjyoxhgzylhkhjkhxylpjztdvholbgpokljyoxhgzuptgzydezrpgvffhrgpyoxfhjuxjzyoyoxghyjvllyjkyoxlpxpuypdyjhgigpczoajylpfyghlpyjyoxtdjhnlpoxgpup

ygpolgvl
12 Likes

It looks like a cipher to me, and that would make sense based on Saberlane’s fears about the information in the codex falling into the wrong hands, especially if this secret language of magic is the biggest advantage we have over the “force at the center of the flower.”

12 Likes

Figuring out that bottom word might be the easiest way to untangle the decryption…it’s too short by one letter to be Saberlane’s name as a signoff though…

11 Likes

ydezrpgvffhrgpyox appears at the beginning and then later in the passage.

And maybe the bottom word isn’t a sign-off. Maybe it could be a magimystical word of power?

EDIT: Maybe it’s a word that means “sunshine?”

10 Likes

Oh, it could totally be something different…a sign-off was just my first thought…though looking at the word, “saberlane” also wouldn’t have worked because the “a” and the “l” would both have become “g” which would be a problem.

Edit: Without having the key word or a type of cypher, I figured that maybe there’d be a way to backtrack that out from what letters show up most commonly in the block of text. Here’s what I got from a character frequency analyzer:

Now, the next step would assume that the language the text will be in when decoded is english, but there’s statistics on letter usage generally in english and for first/last letters in a word…so we could try applying some of those rules to see if we can back anything else out?

9 Likes

yeah, running it through a couple of decrypting tools, coming up a little blank so I suspect there might be at least one other step maybe.

If we’re using letter frequency, E S T R are usually near the top, with Es being usually near the end of words. Vowels are usually second or third letter, also might be a good place to start.

7 Likes

One of the things I found said “t” was also up there as most common word starters too

8 Likes

Hey @Eaves, weird question, but what’s the weather like there? Just a thought, but what if we need the right environment as well? I.e. leaving the codex in ‘sunshine’?

7 Likes

I don’t know if this is helpful at all, but I’m just looking for repeating sequences right now. I’ll edit this as I run across them. (I’m going to be working late today, though, so it’ll be sporadic.)

ydezrpgvffhrgpyox appears twice
gytjve appears twice
jyoxhgz appears twice
yoxlpxp appears twice

6 Likes

those are definitely words, then. Are we sure this isnt another standard book cypher? I guess we dont have number counts to correspond to that though. Cesar cypher doesnt seem likely either… perhaps a substitution cypher?

4 Likes

I would guess substitution, and the only word we can see (or that is clearly one chunk) is the one at the end. We also have the repeats @Heather mentioned—bet those are word-chunks too.

But I’m also TERRIBLE at substitution ciphers. I did notice a lot of Y and X among the letters, though, so good candidates for T and E … or else this is a combination of Welsh and Basque. :rofl:

9 Likes

RSTLNE are the most common letters in the English alphabet, at least according to Wheel of Fortune. We can substitute them through for the most common letters in our cipher, and see what we get. We haven’t got any spaces to run single-letters through for ‘a’ or ‘i’ unfortunately.

Edit: It could also be a key cipher, in which case I think our keyword is probably ‘sunshine’. The last word has enough letters to be ‘sunshine’, but not the right repeats on the s.

10 Likes

But it does if it’s backwards! :tinfoilhat::spiritseergimme:

Edit: I copied the text that Eaves posted from the codex, and stuck it through a nifty doodad to reverse everything without having to do it manually.

lvglopgy

pupgxoplnhjdtxoyjyplhgyfplyjaozcpgighjydpyupxplxoykjyllvjyhgxoyoyzjxujhfxoypgrhffvgprzedyzgtpuzghxoyjlkopgblohvdtzjplyxhkjhkhlyzghxoyjygpifzxhfzglzapginozxevjtygplxozxnoprohgdaplpglvkkhjxzedyeaovfzguhjxpxvtyplohvdtzglnyjzxhgrypxplxoyevjtyghuxoypgrhffvgprzedy

12 Likes