SOLVED: Lachmann: The Fourth Fragment: Tiles

Here’s all the square pieces laid out. They look like they’re meant to represent parts of the story Brandon was writing.

http://imgur.com/a/sIYao

2 Likes

@deedust I noticed when I broke the files down there was a third “strip”, not just two…

2 Likes

These seem to be some kind of legend, key. Maps have to have a legend or key, a set of symbols used to represent people, places, events, etc. in order for the map to make sense. I see a few that immediately stand out as obvious.

This is clearly Fleagreen’s tent.

This is some kind of circuit, likely related to or representing the Circuit Trees (circuitry)

This looks like an entrance to a tunnel
A ladder

A rail track

A beaker, representing scientific research

Stacks like you would see on a factory or nuclear plant Brandon did say the hot springs were slightly radioactive from the Filtration Lab. (What kind of water filtration involves radioactive materials? Odd Could just be a ten year old’s misunderstanding of how things work, but I take nothing for granted here.)

These are the symbols I’m fairly sure of. The rest are all just speculation. But it’s a start.

2 Likes

I think you might be right with connecting the Nuclear plant/factory symbol with the filtration lab. He might have mistook a filtration lab putting clean water back, for a factory dumping whatever kind of coolant substance they were using (maybe it is just water), into a river. Could have something to do with the hudson river? Someone mentioned it being known for having a lot of pollution, I think.

The thing that looks like an opening to a cave could be referencing the “narrow passageway under the two towers” or it could just be the “tower arch”.

1 Like

I think you’re spot on with all those symbols so far.

I’m wondering of those blank rows of squares aren’t meant to hold these. Perhaps we’re supposed to put them in the proper order based on Beyell’s journey in the story.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking @Robert

2 Likes

These look to be spot on, but the rail track and ladder symbols might have to be switched. It’s very common in gaming maps that anything like ladders or stairs begins wide at the bottom and narrows at the top to indicate a rising pathway. I could be wrong but if Brandon followed typical RPG mapping protocol (if that’s even a thing) those two symbols should probably be switched.

3 Likes

And then they’d connect to the piece that looks like a buckle? The part with three holes?

1 Like

The water filtration lab? the upside down triangle is the alchemical symbol for water.

The other triangle symbol has the one for fire, not sure what that connects to though (gut says Recyclops, brain says gut is wrong)

3 Likes

Water and fire symbols?! Aren’t the devoted looking for a fourth element? Is that a connection…

Hey I can check the forums at Red lights…

2 Likes

LADY BALEYWADE’S PRISON / THE PRISON:

FLEAGREENS’S CIRCUS:

SECRET CONTROL ROOM:

HOTSPRING:

THE MINER CAMP:

FILTRATION LAB:

LAIR OF THE JUNKWORM:

BONAVARDE GUARDHOUSE / BONAVARDE KEEP:

ABANDONED CAMP / CIRCUIT TREES:

RUBBLEFISH LAKE:

JUNKTROLL’S LAIR:

THE OUTCAST PROCESSING BUILDING:

THE COMPOUND / IRONHORSE STABLES / THE LAST IRONHORSE:

GATEROOM:
TENT CITY SQUARE:
RECYCLOPS:
RATTICAN CAMP:
THE TOWER ARCH:
LEVEL FOUR CELLS:
SLUMBLOCK:
TERMINUS:

2 Likes

Three horizontal stripes and one vertical with holes remind me a slot machine. Perhaps, they are parts of device which allows to choose set of three items.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Going off @Piki’s excellent work above it looks like we have 21 locations? But we have 24 tiles.

This actually works out well for us if it’s true because it could mean the 3 ‘extra’ tiles are the ones that fit in the holes to unlock the second beacon.

3 Likes

Do we have an assembled version of the story? Maybe we have to put them in order of appearance?

1 Like

THE TOWER ARCH

2 Likes

The latest batch of documents told us the order of the first 6 locations.

I don’t personally believe we have enough information to put all 21 locations in order. I think our best stab is just to figure out which 3 we don’t need for the story.

1 Like

Yea, your probably right. Guess thats the big mystery

1 Like

We have this code.

I have concluded that this is how we come up with the correct combination with the tiles. So it goes like this: (If you came back up here after I have edited this, you get the less confusing version!)
Move the first list to the left 7 times
Move the first list to the left 4 times
Move the first list to the right 5 times

Move the second list to the right 6 times
Move the second list to the right 3 times
Move the second list to the left 4 times.

Move the last list to the left once
Move the last list to the right 2 times
Move the last list to the right 5 times.

What we have after that, is the combination.

3 Likes

@TheBellsAreRinging and @Mike and I think this is the key to the tiles. A list of places, a list of emotions/reactions and a list of things. Mike also thinks the combination goes Top, Centre, Bottom and Bells is suggesting it’s East/West. Thought I’d put it here to get it all in one place.

1 Like

Well, now all thats left is to put the symbols into their corresponding lists! This is great! Go team!!!

Oh yea, and to figure out the starting combination!

3 Likes