SOLVED: King Rabbit's Burrow: The Second Fragment

let’s break down http://burrowinthefray.com and KR’s instagram here. great finds @Mike and @Piki.

UPDATE for NEW USERS: You can click the “Summarize This Topic” button below to read the highlights of longer topic threads.

3 Likes

Ok. So first things first I’m going to wager that each magic word comes from each piece of paper from fragment one.

3 Likes

kingrabbit717 posted second image in instagram, looks exactly like the original one. Description of new image: “What wilde and wondrous work she found. What otherworldly sights for final days, laid before the bride of butterflies.”

I checked paintings on Whitney Museum website:

4 Likes

Description of first instagram image was “The butterflies were beautiful, all things (re)considered.”
Then I found this work: http://collection.whitney.org/object/27813 with description “Work Reconsidered #1

UPDATE: “What wilde and wondrous work she found” Wilde is a reference to author of this work John Wilde

4 Likes

The “Kirk” painting that she is looking at is showing a Major Sergeant rank in the center. Not sure if that is relevant, but good to know. Any military people out there please correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Piki, I think you’re right about the Wilde painting. I think that’s where we’ll find our first clue.

Does anyone know Latin? Curious what Objecta e Dv. mean and the internet doesn’t want to help me.

If anyone finds a hi-res image of this painting, please post a link in this thread so we can all scour it for clues.

This is the highest resolution I could find.

4 Likes

Check it. Painting by the same artist on display at the museum.

3 Likes

And this title “Wedding Portrait” and KingRabbit talks about “bride of butterflies”

But I can’t find an image of this that will allow me to zoom in. (I am not tech savy, y’all.)

3 Likes

Maybe @CameronP but they all might be “new” words, like Fraylily to prevent us from just guessing, (which is what I’ve been trying to do for the past hour.) :-/

I don’t know.

3 Likes

Okay, so… DG has a pic of John Wilde’s “Work Reconsidered” on her blog, presumably from her visit to the Whitney Museum. KingRabbit references “wilde” and “(re)considered” so yes, as mentioned, it seems like there must be an answer in that painting. Question is, is it there for the finding or are we missing a piece? If CRSumner hadn’t posted about the fraylily, there would be no name for the image that y’all found. So are we waiting for a piece or do we already have everything we need.

Blurgh.

4 Likes

I think crsumner is a part of another fragment (fragment 3). So we either already have almost everything we need or should go to museum and find something there.

3 Likes

Just found on one of websites note that on picture “Work Reconsidered” John Wilde portrayed his wife Helen.

4 Likes

New hint from kingrabbit17 on instagram “Lay gifts to mark this day. Nineteen fish with eyes that glisten and two score rotting fruit. Three worms await the day, but the bird has flown away.”

Perhaps, we need to do something with objects on the table

3 Likes

What are you thinking? I’m seriously having such a hard time seeing these images. Can’t zoom in to examine. A fish, an apple with a worm in it, a scrap of paper, and a shell? Is that right?

“Lay gifts to mark this day” -

A birthday?

4 Likes

Here’s a spitball thought:

“Lay gifts to mark this day” —birthday, anniversary August 23rd
“Nineteen fish with eyes that glisten and two score rotting fruit. Three worms await the day…” — (19) (40) (3) 1943
“But the bird has flown away”— The early bird has gone, so later in the day? Late morning?

August 23rd, 1943 — Can anyone think of anything significant that happened that day, possibly later in the day?

4 Likes

Hmm, so that’s definitely the painting we’re supposed to look into. But what part of it or what about it? Is something supposed to go into the password fields in burrowinthefray.com? I tried the date @CameronP came up with but it didn’t work.

4 Likes

Alright guys @Johanna is on to something. There’s a series called “The Wedding Portraits of 1943” which are two sketches, one of him and one of his wife (Helen). The one of Helen is basically a sketch of “Works Reconsidered #1

Since KingRabbit spells out “1943” for us and mentions “Works Reconsidered,” I think there might be something for us in these two Wedding Portraits of 1943. See the first two in the following link:

3 Likes

Anyone capable of isolating/enhancing images so we can get closer looks? Is that writing along the sides of the pictures or just lines?

3 Likes

From this link: https://archive.org/stream/changinglikeness00whit/changinglikeness00whit_djvu.txt

“The John Wilde Wedding Portrait panels are decorated with texts,
mathematical references, architectural and landscape fragments. The
obsessive nature of his method, accumulating minute marks into nearly
unbroken tonal areas, reveals his interest in a Northern European
tradition exemplified by the drawings of Albrecht Diirer or Lucas
Cranach. A meticulous realist, Wilde strives to reconstruct objects on
the page in a clear light which also reveals the highest aspects of his
technique.”

But still unable to find what the actual text is.

3 Likes

@CameronP why it’s equal to 40?

UPDATE: googled, two score means 40. Sorry, I’m just not english speaking person, so didn’t know this.

3 Likes