Nimueh's Journal

Hi, I’m Nim! This is probably just gonna be a place for me to post random things, projects, maybe pics from when I go away with reenactment, and more than likely random ttrpg stories/thoughts. But, a few things about me first:

• I’ve lived in South Wales my whole life, but can only speak/understand a little basic Welsh. :dragon:
  • I can understand more French than Welsh! I also know a little Spanish, Italian, German, and Sindarin (yes, the Tolkien pseudo-language), and bits of Irish Gaelic and Latin.
  • I love to learn where words and phrases come from.
  • I play flute, piano, recorder, sing, and compose/arrange/produce my own music on Youtube/Soundcloud/Bandcamp. :musical_keyboard:
  • I have a degree in Music :musical_score: :woman_student:
  • I play far too many video games (PC and Xbox) and used to be a moderator for an online gaming community. :video_game:
  • I’m enjoying learning about the ttrpg world (I am a dice goblin) and being a small part of it. :woman_mage:
  • At time of posting, I’m in two D&D 5e campaigns and waiting on the release of 3 new ttrpg systems (including Neithernor RPG ofc :deirdreexcited: )
  • I love learning about mythology, particularly Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, and Celtic myths. :classical_building:
  • Huge Arthurian legend nerd!!!
  • Not really practicing Wiccan/Pagan
10 Likes

The course isn’t complete yet, but next January, one of the colleges I work for is premiering a brand new class “The Return of Arthur” https://signumuniversity.org/classes/future/

This is in addition to our existing Arthur classes which can be audited anytime (I am not trying to drum up business for my job, I just want to share the love of learning)

7 Likes

So, I may have done the most British thing I’ve ever done.

My mother got a birthday card in the mail the other day, and I noticed it had a strange stamp. Turns out it was a stamp showing Merlin with a baby Arthur! Googled it and found that Royal Mail were doing limited edition stamps based on Arthurian legend!!! They’re claiming him as English (which is a load of absolute nonsence!) and have a special post mark you can get on them as well. Me being me, I decided to get myself some. It comes with an info sheet on the legends explaining the artwork, but I’m probably not gonna read it based on the previously mentioned idiotic claim.

OFC, I saw they also had Sherlockstamps, and well:

13 Likes

It amuses me greatly that two heroes of what is considered quintessentially English legend–Arthur and St. George-- are not even English. :laughing: Folklore is wild.

What are your favorite Arthurian books?

9 Likes

Oooo… Stephen Lawhead’s Pendragon Cycle has to be my favourite for sure. So many interwoven versions while also managing to give his own spin on the legend is great. Also, Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising Sequence, cause it was the first series I ever reread (cause I have a thing that I can’t read something if I know the ending).

7 Likes

King Arthur is a really complex character in origin, I agree! In my French Medieval Lit class last year, we talked about Arthur’s story being innately tied to France in addition to Wales even though, as you said, he’s seen as innately English. It’s super cool!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, ties to Broccilonde and Brittany!

Also, I think people miss understand that he’s Welsh cause he’s portraited as the King of Britain, and therefore people assume he’s English. No. He’s Welsh. Leave our hero alone :frowning:

5 Likes

Been a bit of a month, so decided to treat myself to some new dice. These are Turquoise (my birth stone, so hoping they’re lucky) and Fluorite (which is a mix of aqua and purple, so ofc I love fluorite) dice, as well as a mixed set they sent me!! All three have gone straight into my dice box!!!

7 Likes

Those fluorite ones! :heart_eyes: Wow.

5 Likes

More new dice! This time some gorgeous me/AG coloured fate/fudge dice for when I play Neithernor RPG!

9 Likes

Those are lovely!!! Did you find someone online making fate dice???

7 Likes

Found a guy on twitter who does amazing dice, and he made these over the last month. Shame I can’t be in the game now :frowning:

6 Likes

So, I have a new toy! Meet my new lyre:

Found this cheap online, and as you might imagine it’s got a few problems. There’s a giant crack that almost runs all the way down the instrument, front and back. I asked to send it back for a refund, but the guy gave my money back and let me keep it, so… While it’s not ideal, it’s also just as a way to learn while I think about if I want to do this with my reenactment. Unfortunately I can’t actually use this instrument for that (metal strings and pegs), but it’s a start. Already able to slowly work out some plucked chords and a basic melody/drone, so this should be fun!

9 Likes

So, I feel the need to write something and as I don’t keep a journal or put my life anywhere else, l’m doing it here. Also, I kinda feel bad about not being so engaged in the forums these last few months and feel you guys need an explanation for that.

It’s been a very long 3 months for me. At the beginning of May I got what I thought would be my first stable job. Nice and easy, working in a cinema for 3 months with an 8 hour contract, maybe more hours if they needed extra staff, probably keeping me on afterwards. Well, with the first week we reopened from Covid, 2 weeks into being hired, I was already doing 16hours a week, and being given a lot of responsibility with very little training. Well, you can imagine the stress; in an environment like that, people are literally relying on you doing your job to prevent them from getting a potential fatal virus. I was struggling something rotten, and everyone was putting it down to me being out of practice from a year of isolation.

So the end of May rolls around, 2 weeks into full on job mode with 20+ hours a week. The stress about the job is starting to settle, only to be replaced by the fact that I should totally not be in serious pain from a shift. Everyone around me seemed sympathetic, but they all just kept telling me I’d “get used to it”. Well, I know me, and I wasn’t going to get used to that and finally got to speak to a GP. Turns out I have something called Platar Facitiis, which is in it’s simplest form tenis elbow in my feet. I’m given anti-inflammitory gel to help (which apparently has no effect on me to top all this off), and explain to my work that I need help. Yeah… that help is still not a thing at the end of July. I asked them if I could have a chair to sit in when the pain gets too much; nope. They even changed the description of one of the roles to specifically not allow for a chair! Instead, when I lean on the counters to take the weight off and do the exercises I’ve been told to do, I get told to “stand up strait” “don’t lean” “that’s not professional” “what would guests think if they saw you leaning?”. Yes, those are actual things my managers have said to me. Oh yeah, and to top it all, one of the people they hired months after me hurt her knee and they gave her a chair!

So yeah, that’s my last three months. I haven’t really had any energy for anything creative with all that. Lots of inconsistent shifts, managing pain in my free time to ensure that I don’t begin a shift in pain so I have the best chance of making it to the end of a shift… I’ve been trying to find that creative spark again, and I’m hoping that when my contract ends on the 1st I’ll slowly be able to build that energy back up again. Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to puzzle again! (No I won’t, lol, you guys have been far too quick on the unscrambling lately).

Sorry for the long post, but jeez, it feels like it’s been a year since April and it’s only July still.

8 Likes

I’m sorry Nim…I’ve had Plantar Faciitis before and it’s really rough. It’s so dumb that your managers won’t let you sit - honestly, when I go places where customer-facing employees have chairs, it makes me think a bit better of the employers. Hopefully once your contract ends, you’ll have the time to recover properly!

7 Likes

Oh no, I’m so sorry that your job is being unreasonable. I’ve been living with plantar faciiis for years now and have some tips if you are interested.

6 Likes

OMG, yeah, any tips you have would be amazing. Literally nothing the GP has given me is working. Hoping that when I’m done with the job I’ll have more time to rest up and it’ll begin to heal itself.

5 Likes

I’ve seen two doctors and one physical therapist for an assortment of foot pains…and honestly, the physical therapist was the only helpful one…the doctors’ advice was always to stop using my foot altogether (which i couldn’t do because I have a 20+ minute walk to campus from where I live), but the physical therapist approached it from a “how do we keep you doing what you need to be doing” perspective. I don’t know how physical therapists work into the health system you have, but if that’s at all an option, I’d recommend that!

Otherwise, it sounds like you’ve got a list of stretches to do, but do you wear shoe inserts of any kind? Also, maybe try putting a water bottle in the freezer and after you’re home from a shift, roll your arch over that.

6 Likes

Tinker is right, I find 3/4 inserts which are designed for plantar fasciitis are super helpful.

3 Likes

Just to add to options, advice, and support, I’m so sorry, I had a bout of plantar fasciitis that went on for about two years. I first went to a podiatrist who helped with supportive wraps but I finally got it under control by doing things like regular (painful but helpful) rolling with a lacrosse ball (or anything curved and hard, even canned goods) across the arch of my foot and heel, and I lived by an open toed compression sock I wore, especially at night, because mine seemed to be much worse in the morning when I’d been off it for hours.

I’m sorry that the job hasn’t turned out the way you’d hoped. Some people, and companies, are still so backward, and I hope you find some relief soon. :cjheart:

6 Likes