Nimueh's Journal

Random moment of the day: I just found out I have an ancestor with the surname Witch. I didn’t even know that was a surname, and now my brain is wondering how people would have reacted that it at the time (the ancestor is from the 1600s).

9 Likes

So excited. After a terrible Xmas/birthday this year with Covid forcing all my birthday plans to be cancelled and depression in the family stopping all Xmas plans, the second of my 2 birthday wishes is finally starting to take shape.

The first thing I asked for last year was an Xbox (so I could continue to enjoy playing games with my friends without issues, which had been a life saver since leaving Uni and during lockdown), which I planned to go halves on with my dad when they released in Nov, but only managed to get one in Apr.

The other one was a deal with my mother. I told her the only present I wanted from her was to help me clear out the spare room which she used to use as a sewing room so we could configure it to work as both an office/workroom/music room/studio for me and a sewing room for her. The plan was to help her thin down the 20+ years worth of fabric and projects she’d accumulated, throw out scraps too small to be used, and sell/give away anything neither of us was going to use ourselves. Well, that didn’t exactly pan out. About 2 months ago I got her to take a stab at a pile of fabric, but in the end she was keeping things that she’d been intending to work on since I was about 5 years old and basically not parting with any of it. In an attempt to compromise, my dad and I managed to move a lot of it to unused cupboards to be sorted later so we could at least see the desk. With enough space cleared and a new chair coming on Thrsday (hopefully), I’ll be able to move my laptop, monitor, and Xbox in with enough space to move everything aside if my mother did want to sew (though I’ve done like x1,000 more of that than her in the last 3 years). It’s still probably gonna take me another 2 years to get it to what I’m hoping, but it’s an amazing first step in the right direction (assuming she doesn’t try to fill the table with fabric again cause she’s already complaining she can’t use things that she hasn’t used in at least 5 years).

Evidence of the work so far:

7 Likes

Also, this room hasn’t been redocorated in my lifeimte (so 25+ years), and yes, that back wall was damp and had to be rerendered, but we just haven’t had the time nor money to get anyone to come and fill the interior walls, and then Covid happened and on top of all that. Eventually hoping to paint the bottom third a mid to dark blue and the top a light to mid blue.

4 Likes

Managed to eek out a little shelf space! Gonna need more though if I’m to keep my ttrpg collection/witchy books/music up here though.

7 Likes

I am making progress!!! I’ve managed to reclaim cupboard space at the cost of drowning in bags of fabric I’m trying to sell. But I now have a lot of desk space and shelf space!

Also gorgeous new tarot deck! It’s meant to pair with an AR app, but apparently my phone isn’t compatible with it. It was a Kickstarter, and I think someone from here told me about it? Would love to know if any of you got it working with the app!

8 Likes

I finally finished my sewing project! It’s a completely hand-sewn early medieval linen dress. Hoping to dye it a pale green later next year, might even try traditional dying, but for now keeping it natural so I can use it as an underdress for a show in Feb (hopefully).

Also, managed to transfer my Herman stickers onto my new phone (early b’day present as my old one was dying) without ripping them!

8 Likes

OMG, I miss Kawaii Hermie!

2 Likes

Update: The event I was planning on wearing this for the first time has just been canceled. sigh

3 Likes

So, I just applied for a thing. Could use all the good vibes for this one, really praying that this could work out as I’ve looked up to the BBC National Orchestra of Wales (BBC NOW) ever since I started playing the flute. Since I’ll definitely never play with them, this would be amazing!

9 Likes

Best wishes and best of luck Nim, that sounds like an amazing gig!

7 Likes

I just found out I’m not even getting an interview, just turned me down straight from application. I have all the qualifications, a lot of the "would like to have"s. Only thing I don’t have is experience, WHICH I CAN’T GET CAUSE NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE. Urg…

2 Likes

So uh, big news; I just got my first ever music commission! A friend of mine and current DM was invited to be in an actual play DnD podcast by a group we’ve worked with before, and they asked me to do the intro music! So excited, and can’t wait to share it with you all when it’s done!!! Also, oh god, does this actually make me a composer now? I need new sample sets…

10 Likes

That is so extremely exciting!!! Congrats!!!

3 Likes

I don’t know how many of you guys remember us talking back a few years ago about guild coats and how people that didn’t identify with a guild might have one with changing embroidery? Well, I had a dream the other day about a world with a similar idea. It was kinda like a spin on Wheel of Time, with only female magic users, but rather than them having shawls they all had a reversible cloak. One side was just plain, a brown, or a grey, or something neutral like that to blend in. The other side changed with the user’s magic, the fabric being like shot silk and gaining intricate patterns based on their magical strengths, with more embroidery showing a stronger magic user.

Also had a different dream with another really cool culture that needs to be (or probably already is) in a fantasy world in which the first born female of the royal family is taught a secret awesome magic based fighting style. She was doing really cool impossible dagger deflecting in my dream and it was very badass and I need to see it in a show or film.

In other words, I now have both the itch to make and developed this world with these cool magic things and to make a reversible cloak with cool “magic” embroidery.

8 Likes