Mountie Book Sharing

(Resurrecting this topic due to increased community interest in reading)

Hey Mounties! So we have a lot of clubs on here such as fitness, writing and pen pals but I noticed that there isn’t a Book Club. I thought this was a bit odd as this whole thing is about books and most of us are mad about them. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to set up a Book club thread here!

What will it entail?
There is nothing better then sharing your favourite book with someone and watching them get sucked into its magiqal and wondrous world! The idea of this is, just like pen pals, you’ll be paired up with someone at random to send your favourite book to! You can either send your personal copy or buy a copy for them it’s fully up to you. The next pairing you’ll send another book to a different person and the book you got from the last pairing you can either send it back to its original owner or onto a different Mounty. The aim is that the book you send will eventually make it back to you unless you want them to keep it. Obviously not everyone can read one book in a month so it won’t be a monthly thing and this should also make it easier on those who are tight for cash.

16 Likes

I’m super into this! Sign me up for the next sorting. :blush:

8 Likes

Add me to that list as well!!

7 Likes

Yes! Please add me to that list!

6 Likes

I’m in!

6 Likes

Hey everyone, so I just had another idea strike me! If you all want we can do random themed months for different genres of books both for the mail out and book reviews/discussions on this thread. What do y’all think?

6 Likes
  • I’m in!
  • Not this month

0 voters

Okay so today we’re gonna do the first sorting for the Mounty Book Club! You have till the 20th to cast your vote then I’ll close it and post the pairings on the 21st. After that you’ll have till the end of the month to post your book!

5 Likes

Okay so the pairings for this first book exchange are;
@Mr5yy and @Revenir
@OracleSage and @Ravenwing

8 Likes

Im probably too late but I’d love to do this next month

6 Likes

The mail out deadline is on the 30th so I’ll switch you in with me is oracle is cool and if anyone joins I’ll pair up with them! @OracleSage do you mind if I switch you to @Ravenwing?

6 Likes

Not at all! :blush:

7 Likes

@OracleSage, @Revenir @Ravenwing and @Mr5yy
Hey guys, I just wanna know where you’re all at with your books currently as the next sorting is coming up in a few days.

5 Likes
  • I’m in!
  • Next month I promise!

0 voters

Okay so the second book club sign up is starting to day and will be open till the 20th!

3 Likes

Since we have some more new Mounties I thought I’d bring this back as they might be interested in it!

6 Likes

nods please :slight_smile: this is awesome!

5 Likes

If I wasn’t poor and shipping things bigger than a letter wasn’t expensive… Also do people know what books they’re getting, or is it completely a secret? I’d be so worried about sending something that someone had already read, you know?

6 Likes

Ye I know that shipping is gonna be an issue for a lot of people so this isn’t gonna be a monthly thing.

It’s up to you can tell whoever you’re partnered with what book they’re getting or keep it a secret!

5 Likes

I run a Christmas Jolabokaflod with friends.
Last year we had people sending digital audio books as an alternative.
It was mostly done for the dyslexic among us, so they could take part without struggling, but it could work to save on postage too.

Re books we already have it was/is a risk, most of us used Goodreads as a book catalogue which helped. We also set themes/specific books that we definitely didn’t want, and gave examples of books we love.
It doesn’t rule out the risk of duplication, but the fun of sharing, out weighed the risk and was really good fun!

5 Likes

Digital audio books and using good reads are fantastic ideas!!!

We also have the currently reading and book recommendations threads here that can help people chose books to send!

Also when people are joining up they can suggest preferred genres or we can have specific themes some times

5 Likes

I’m in if we ever do another round of this! :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes