Meta Guild Bearing Discussion!

am i… ANYWHERE NEAR the right line of thinking?

5 Likes

Yes, then look back in peering arts for the order
Edit: Rimor posted the correct guild/order to use

9 Likes

Ahh I’m struggling with this… I can’t find the pages for the guild things (I’m assuming it’s probably easy but I’ve clearly overlooked something) so this isn’t really coming together for me… :blossom:

EDIT: By pages I mean page numbers. Though clearly I haven’t found the exact right pages either or I’d have the numbers probably??

9 Likes

How many pages are there in the guide?

now…

why are there more than the books total length?

6 Likes

It’s the page numbers in the link text leading to the pages for each guild :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Ah, so I have to find all of those … Aah, my mind already feels fried and I’ve barely done anything. This is why I don’t wake up in the morning if I can help it! Thank you though. Also please do spoil it for me where possible, I like to know things but am bad at finding things out myself haha… But no, from here I should be okay, thank you @Nimuir @Cj_Heighton :blossom:

10 Likes

happy to help!

5 Likes

@CJB Can we have a brief chat about how we use these new affinities ‘in world’? Generally speaking we’ve only ever played around with them in Neithernor, where I think we all felt a lot more freedom to ‘do magiq’. I don’t recall any of us ever really trying to use them in the story like the way Eaves is doing.

Are these things that are easy (relatively speaking) to do? or extremely difficult? (maybe requiring multple guildies to do even the most basic task)

And would we use these like we’ve done in the past by tagging @Magiq?

I’m guessing you’re hesitant to just throw down a rulebook about how these work at us. Us playing around with them, exploring them, etc will make a great (or at least chaotic) story. But any general guidelines might help us all.

Cause let’s face it we all want magiq-super powers to play with. :wink:

16 Likes

CHAOS MAGIQ REIGNS!
:balimora::crystal_ball:

10 Likes

We’re in an interesting time in-world speaking because of the old aging dying and the new one being born. Magiq as we currently know it is almost gone, and no one truly knows what will happen next.

I think at some point these may have been more easy to accomplish, but Eaves just performed something as seemingly as innocuous as Communion Magiqs through the Guide and now has multiple broken bones.

While I have ideas about what the affinities can do, and we even canonized some of our (and your) thoughts in the bearings questions, the affinities largely act as magimystic creative writing prompts, offering hints at what they might be able to do, but with latitude that allows the community to decide and create.

For now, I would think of these as personal and minor boons rather than massive miracles. And any casting now could be dangerous, draining, and unpredictable. Once The Book of Briars is officially born, things may be very different. :cjtea:

21 Likes

So is the guild bearings a way to kind of discourage/prevent polyguilds as now that I know my bearing I feel like I truly belong in Thornmouth

8 Likes

Is there any possibility of a future physical addition of the Magiq Guide with the bearings included?

16 Likes

That sounds super cool 030

5 Likes

The bearings are very difficult to include in print because of how the assessment has to score your choices and carry that score through physical pages.

But @Catherine and I think we figured it out. :cjtea:

18 Likes

I prefer bearings, which help you find where you belong within a single, chosen guild, rather than a polyguild, but some people like mashing them up. :man_shrugging:t2:

As the author, polyguild is fun and fine but on par with “Ravenpuff” as far as canon goes. :cjheart:

15 Likes

FYI, the canon use of “polyguild” (like in the PRSFNE acronym) means “a group of people from different guilds”.

16 Likes

That makes sense as it makes things less messy and confusing

9 Likes

It seems like the bearings are a good way to work away from “polyguilds” because they add aspects similar to other guilds, like Lunivox Thornmouth feels like it leans toward Flinterforge with its creation aspect.

12 Likes

I wanted you to feel like there was more wiggle room within your guild, more interesting, deeper things to explore. A more personal sense of belonging, without feeling like you were missing out because the others guilds have one aspect that you also identify with. To be clear, these affinities do not bar other guilds from being able to perform them. Affinity for us is more akin to this definition: “The degree to which a substance tends to combine with another.”

It’s not impossible for an Ebenguardian to shapeshift, it’s just easier for Gossmerim.

21 Likes

Right, each guild is just more naturally in tune with specific forms of magiq. It’s like how a native English speaker will have an easier time learning Dutch than a Russian speaker, but it’s not impossible for the Russian speaker. And Polish is easier for a Russian speaker but not impossible for the English speaker.

16 Likes