Ilya stumbled through the woods with a bright and beaming smile on her face

Oof, this sounds very lucky to have found us! I know we’re talking about Lauren here, but kids might not have found us. I’m trying to look up those numbers and I don’t seem to be getting any results. Anyone else got something?

14 Likes

More coordinates (and it mentioned Cags), definitely for us. :aetherdetermined:

Had to do some converting of the format to get it to play nice, but it looks like it points to Pompeii.

Edit: And if these are somehow correlating ancient places with locations in NYC, Atlas Obscura (I was trying to look up the building on the Google street view) says there are some Pompeii columns…

Adding link to possible columns: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/delmonico-s-pompeii-columns

16 Likes

Hm… maybe someone needs to take a trip there, and we’ll get another location? At least, that seems to be the current trend. Gonna take a look around these coords just in case though.

Edit: Got a link for us Ash?

11 Likes

The format needed tweaking, but here’s the address.

Pompeii, Vicolo di Lucrezio Frontone, 80045 Pompei NA, Italy

Latitude: 40.751278 | Longitude: 14.485528

12 Likes

I like the idea these things may correspond to locations in NY. So would the obelisk be connected to Cleopatra’s needle?

19 Likes

That sounds exactly like what our friendly emailer was looking at when they found that ring, location and all!

13 Likes

I think you might have it there. I did a little bit of googling, and this article from NYC Parks says the obelisk is one of two that were “Made from the quarries at Aswan,” and the second one is in London. It doesn’t say anything more about where it came from, but that can’t be a coincidence, right?
https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/central-park/monuments/1129

Also @Ashburn, Delmonico’s is like a five minute walk from the office. I don’t have a ton of time today, but I could go check it out on my way home if you guys think it’s worthwhile?

19 Likes

If you go out there, @Catherine, please be careful!

14 Likes

I looked up more about Cleopatra’s Needle - there are three obelisks as part of this formation - NYC, London, and Paris.

But! Apparently London and NYC are a pair. The Paris obelisk is paired with one from Luxor which is still there and not considered part of Cleopatra’s Needle.

Has anyone tried to map the Cleopatra’s Needle structures and see if anything interesting is in the middle? Or maybe map the four? I’m at a conference this week, and my computing options are very limited.

15 Likes

Taking the likes as yeses so I’ll swing by there on my way home in about an hour. And thank you @Fox, I will!

16 Likes

I would say that definitely sounds like the kind of thing that is NOT a coincidence.

12 Likes

Random theory, any coordinates we find will link back to Central Park/Manhattan/New York (sorry British and I have 0 comprehension of scale)

So here’s a section of places that have something from another country or strong link to another country in new york
-Cleopatra’s needle (Aswan egypt)
-Delmonico (Pompeii Italy)
-the Berlin wall(Germany)
-unicorn tapestries (Brussels)
-MoMath Museum (Pythagoras/Greek/Macedonia)
-Houdini Museum (Hungary)

12 Likes

Did a drive-by and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, but I’ll check it out again tomorrow when I have more time. Columns are definitely old-looking, though.

19 Likes

I was just trying to get back to sleep for a little longer, when that “brain keeping you up at night” meme happened and sent me scouring for this:

May not matter in the long run, but maybe we’re being pointed to all the places Marty was sent…
:tinfoilhat:

18 Likes

Good thing (I think?) that I went back to Delmonico’s again this morning.

Yesterday I was in a hurry and there were a bunch of people milling around so I’ll admit I didn’t do much more than glance at the columns. This morning, though, I got there before they opened and thought I’d poke around a little bit more thoroughly just to be sure.

I circled both of the columns and thought I saw something wedged into the bottom of one, on the side closest to the restaurant door. I sat down on the front steps to be a little bit more casual and started trying to pry the thing out, hoping that the façade wouldn’t come crashing down on me in the process.

And what did I find wedged into the base of the column?
An ancient freakin’ spearhead.

Or at least, that’s what I think it is. I barely even looked at it before I stuck it in my bag and booked it to the office. It’s a little longer than the width of my two hands and looks old as anything. I’ve been trying to do some googling, it might be Roman from other pictures I’ve found online, but it’s definitely giving off some kind of weird energy (all the usual stuff: won’t photograph, makes my laptop screen go weird and glitchy if it gets too close).

So Mounties, I have a technically stolen, potentially ancient, magimystically charged artifact on my hands, and absolutely no idea what to do with it.
…Help?

22 Likes

I am so proud right now.

Does it have any symbols or markings on it?

Is it pretty thin? Might be a pilum their soldiers used.

There’s also always the Spear of Destiny. That’s Roman. That’d be fun. No pressure there.

20 Likes

Well, hmmm. I don’t recommend using it as a skewer. Could you describe it?

11 Likes

No markings that I can see, but yes, it’s pretty thin. About 8 inches from the tip of the triangle (apologies for the non-technical terms) to the part of the base that looks like it could have attached to something else. It’s no more than about an inch and a half wide at the widest point of the triangle. So maybe it is a pilum thing?

14 Likes

Also possibly made of iron (according to Google), but hard to tell. It’s pretty worn.

11 Likes

I’ve seen The Librarian too many times, let’s not put Catherine through all that. :deirdrexd:

20 Likes