Fragment Sixteen - The Book of Briars

This first page is a wiki for discussing the 16th fragment.

After 2 days of rest the Book of Brairs seems to have adapted to our time, and the following page became available.

http://bookofbriars.com/stormslayer/ (Co discovery credit to @Augustus_Octavian For trying this the same time I did 2 days ago.)

Gnascorius. More commonly referred to as The Dawning Age. A time known in classical magimystic parlance as The Book of Light.

40.727422 -74.005961

13 Likes

It looks to be in New York City, at the corner of Varick St and Charlton St

Edit: The coordinates, I mean

Edit Edit: Google says 175 Varick St, New York, NY 10014, USA to be exact

9 Likes

So, looks like we may have a starting point for another chronocompass cross New York adventure…

Are we gonna ask Deeds and Cole to take a look? Not sure I want to bother them this soon after Saturday

10 Likes

Also sidenote, the swirly blue background is so pleasant after months of the book being on fire…

10 Likes

Siiiick. Final chapter folks, lets do this

5 Likes

@Nimueh Aye, we should mention the new coordinates to them. I doubt Cole will be out of the hospital so soon. If Deeds doesn’t want to go maybe she can ask Marty to bring the compass there. But in any case, they should know. And know we’re certainly not demanding anything of them given all they did for us just now.

@Tinker Amen, that swirling blue background is music to my eyes.

11 Likes

Could we ask @Marty.60 or @Benefactor?

7 Likes

Okay, so that set of coordinates leads to 171 varrick st in manhattan

5 Likes

Sorry guys, i deleted that last comment, no idea whats happening with my cellular.

4 Likes

Does someone want to leave a comment for Deeds to tell her about them (though knowing you guys, someone’s already on top of it :smiley: )

6 Likes

I can’t even begin to figure out what to say to her given all she’s probably gone through the last 4 days, not to mention the spell sickness she may have now. My words fail me.

Edit: That was my way of saying “Yes, someone should. But I have zero idea what to say so someone please find a way.”

11 Likes

It would possibly better so send her a message from someone she knows quite well and trusts.

7 Likes

Hey! It did work after all!

11 Likes

I was gonna try and see if I could write something, but you’re probably right. Best left to someone she knows

5 Likes

Oh speak of the devil! @Augustus_Octavian can you do it?

7 Likes

The only people I can super think of would be her Fairy Godmothers, @Leigha and @MissEvans or @Augustus_Octavian who reminded her of Elainnor. If they can’t I’d say give it a try, @Nimueh . Your heart is likely in the right place.

11 Likes

You know, I don’t think there’s a more satisfying picture than seeing the BoB whole again. And a quick thought from me: Maybe when someone asks Deidre to visit the coordinates, they ask for Cole, Marty, etc. to do it instead. Deidre needs a break desperately right now.

5 Likes

I think Cole may be out of action for longer than Deeds, though that would depend how how extensive the burns he got from the storm are. Even so, he’ll be resting up for a bit.

9 Likes

Instead of trying to figure out how to ask any of them to go traipsing around Lower Manhattan, I thought I’d try to figure out why the Book is sending us here, since the other locations have had historic significance. The map coordinates didn’t give any blatant answer, though the building it points to looks almost like it has a fraylily-type design to some of the blocks on the outside.

I found this: Charlton–King–Vandam Historic District - Wikipedia

As far as that particular building, I think it may be this bit of the write-up:

Astor had the mansion moved from the top of the hill it stood on to the corner of Charlton and Varick, and the hill was levelled; the mansion was subsequently used as a theatre.

Edit: Got a better look at the street view on the computer, that particular building is the SE corner of Varick and Charlton, the one the coordinates point to is the NW corner. :confused:

But I did get a screenshot of the outside of the building’s fraylily-looking bits.
frag16-1

Edit #2: If we hadn’t heard anything back from Deeds, I would’ve suggested that perhaps the Google map views for inside the building (you can look around inside part of it!) as a potential source for answers.

10 Likes

It makes a good hiding spot for the last Fragment if you think about it. Anyone looking for it without the Books help, and even those with it’s help, wouldn’t think to look there.

4 Likes