Fragment 14: OBSCURIOTEMPUS FOUND

Unfortunately without the journal there’s probably no point in us going. Odds are the journal has to react to the location.

We could ask Augie to go, but someone will have to figure out how to explain to him how we got from those numbers to a location, given Atlas Obscura only formed in 2009.

The way I see it there are two options happening here.

1. We are rewriting history. In which case. Meh, we basically have a time machine. If we fail, we just go back and do it again. Odds are Sullivan and Aguie knew each other (Augie reacted to Sullivan’s name in the first message) and Sullivan knows, approximately how long Augie held out from the start of the storm to his end. And his grand machine of a plan probably accounts for small delays like this.

I doubt the plans of the Council and Sullivan managed to get us to this point only to be derailed by a short bereavement leave.

1. We aren’t rewriting history. This has already happened, and we actually helped Augie open the book in 1994 and since none of us have dissappeared, that will still happen. In which case, just trust that what comes up, has already come up, and it’s going to work out… if that makes any sense.

Lastly, and I hate to be the callous jerk here (but I do it so well.) But Sullivan’s plan was to have the Mountaineers Now, and the Book Then. Notice he never said ‘Mountaineers Now and Then’. I hate to say this but whatever happens to the mountaineers is probably going to still happen to them. Missouri stabbed Ascender 23 years ago, after all, to us. We’re not going to impact any of that. That’s not why we’re here.

13 Likes

Dee is in Ireland… Perhaps new things will be triggered there in the journal. Maybe this will be a welcome distraction for her in this sad time.

7 Likes

I think we should still send a message today…Keep it supportive and upbeat for Augie so he isn’t worrying about us too. Maybe say we’re working on a lead for the numbers without being specific. And maybe we can actually look into these coordinates more in the meantime.

9 Likes

My thought would be to attribute it to atlases and encyclopedia. Might not be digital, but there were print ones in spades back then.

At least the place was excavated in the '70s, so it won’t be some weird “trust us, there’s something there” thing.

3 Likes

Here’s an article that goes into a little more detail regarding what’s actually in this Portal:

5 Likes

I think we should send the memory spell, and tell Augie our field person hasn’t been feeling well recently

2 Likes

It’s getting late. And no one is responding so I guess I am sending today

3 Likes

I’m here if you’d like a second set of eyes on a draft.

2 Likes

What did you end up sending?

2 Likes

Umm… Was anything sent? We don’t have a heck of a lot of time left.

2 Likes

I drafted something:

Hi there Augie,

My name’s Rev, it’s nice to meet you. We haven’t found a ton of leads since yesterday, but we’re pretty sure that the two numbers are coordinates. One of our more map-savvy members was able to figure out it leads to 63 Pearl St, New York, New York.

Did a bit of research, and apparently the place’s sidewalk is really weird. It has remnants of colonial New York, discovered in an archaeological dig in 1975, and it’s all preserved under glass. It’s also near the historic Lovelace Tavern, owned by the governor of the old colony. Our main New Yorkers are MIA at the moment, but maybe if you have a recruit in New York they could check it out? Hard to say what it’ll lead to, but it’s a start at least.

Hope you are well,
Rev

Do we want to send this? I’m pretty sure there are other ways to figure out coordinates beyond using the Atlas Obscura, so I doubt that’ll be a big deal. I mean, the Obscura people had to find it somewhere, right? :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

I sent it, sorry for not posting it here

2 Likes

And what exactly did you send him…?

We’re all in this together, we should really be getting some opinions before sending off messages…:disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

Since no one was responding I ran it by you, by the time someone would reply it would have been too late

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand? The message box doesn’t close for another two hours from right now. At the time you posted, we still had about five hours to come up with a message.

3 Likes

Me and oracle tried to send before, it was too late of a response

2 Likes

And that was around 11

2 Likes

3 Likes

Being a lightning rod? That doesn’t sound very good…

6 Likes

He’s going to face the storm alone… damn…

4 Likes