Fourth Fragment: The Secret Mission Part Two

Or a clock on a place that published early sci fi stories?

2 Likes

There’s also the fact that the sky on the Grand Central ceiling is backwards. Runaway Skyscraper describes the sky as going backwards when time shifts.

2 Likes

The story also mentions that they were going back in time at about 4 years per minute. Maybe that means something? I dunno. This is confusing me :frowning2:

2 Likes

I spent last night and this morning catching up, and I just want to make sure I have a good understanding… I believe the numbers we have “confirmed” (or at least a good reasoning to believe they are correct) are:

6 - The last chiming of the clock at central park zoo
46 - The street where the Nathaniel Fisher clock is located with the “cent” dropped
12 - Number of Bees on the two faces plus the number of entrances ((4x2)+4)
33 - Paramount Theater has 33 floors

Is this a fair assumption? I also read all the reasoning and I think it makes sense with the clues. So if it is, the phone number we have so far is:

646-XXX-1233

So we are looking for 3 digits spread over two clues?

EDIT: That leaves us with the Keys/Grand Central Station and The Runaway Leinster… I have already begun digging into what they could be

5 Likes

Okay guys this is a stretch, but there is a Metropolitan Tower that has a clock on it It’s 50 stories tall

2 Likes

I believe it is 68 stories and it is 716ft/218m tall

2 Likes

I agree with that. I know some people are doubting the 46 for Nathaniel Fisher, but it makes the Manhattan area code of 646 just so perfect.

5 Likes

So basically, one number is one digit, and the other is two digits. Now I guess we just have to figure it out.

4 Likes

Just to add to this, the area codes for Manhattan are 212, 646, 917… I don’t see how the other two fit, so I am in full agreement with you @Robert

2 Likes

And something just hit me with my summary post, the clue for the bee clock (for lack of a better word) says “How many workers upon the face…”. The face is singular, meaning it could be referring to just one side, which means we are back to 4+4=8. And we could be looking for 4 digits. Thoughts?

2 Likes

@Brendon where did you find that number
68 stories and it is 716ft/218m tall
I can’t find it.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Wrong tower, that’s the new one there are two

It even says that this is the one referred to in Runaway Skyscraper

2 Likes

It’s possible that answer could be 8 and we could be looking for 4 digits between the last two clues. At this point if we come up with a reasonable phone number I will call it. I’ve been working on my ‘oh sorry, wrong number’ sincere voice all morning.

6 Likes

You practice your phone voice too? Nice to know I’m not the only one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you have it there. That definitely has to be it, right? I mean, its referenced in the story, I don’t see why not!

3 Likes

Start with “TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT BRANDON LACHMAN” and then if they get scared, switch over to your sincere wrong number voice

7 Likes

I missed that when I read the wikipedia page of your tower. I looked at both but discredited it when it didn’t have the right name (wrong methodology, I know) But I am just going to see if I can figure out how high up the clock is. It says between the 25th and 27th stories. Nice sleuthing @Leigha

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s 8 though, I think you were right about it having to do with a clock like all the others. Seeing Wikipedia confirm that this is the building Lienster was writing about is just too strong a piece of evidence.
They even say that this is the clock that ran backwards.
“The clock tower is mentioned in the opening of Murray Leinster’s 1919 story “The Runaway Skyscraper,” the clock running backwards indicating that the skyscraper was traveling in time.”
Also, super cool fun fact, this is where Booker Dewitt’s office was in Bioshock “bring us the girl, repay the debt.”
also about parallel timelines.

5 Likes

Well, building on @Brendon’s last phone number, I got 646-XX5-0833
If @Robert’s initial guess of the Grand Central Station puzzle number being 88 (88 keys on a piano) is right, then its 646-885-0833 (6468450833)
Also, if we need to call at the times listed, one of them is coming soon. Might as well try it then?

2 Likes