Fourth Fragment: The Secret Mission Part Two

Nice @H3RM3S, I missed the events but it seems like it was pretty intense. Also where is this timer of theirs?

3 Likes

I was sleeping @TheBellsAreRinging (UK here) - looks like you guys have this all under control :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Morning everyone. Looks like I’m useless exept in the mornings and evenings. Sometimes not even. Thanksgiving is soon H3RM3S, Thanksgiving is soon. I’ll be sure to check in after school and stuff. And I’ll be getting emails to. But yeah, good luck everyone, lets figure out stuff!

5 Likes

I’d say email them the maps asap and hope they give us the cloister info. We actually figured out it was the cloisters pretty quickly, and had the unicorn tapestries figured out within a few hours, so we can catch up very quickly once we have that info.

I’m going to try to call the 646-888-1233 number once it’s a bit later in the morning. I hate calling random phone numbers but we only have a limited window we might be ahead, if we’re ahead at all anymore.

The 2pm, 7pm, 10pm might be times to call the number. Or it might just have been a clue to look for clocks in the rest of the puzzle. Not sure.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I’d call but I’m not sure about the long distance from Canada lol. If you or someone could call soon-ish that’d be awesome so that we can beat the Devoted to the punch. I’m excited!

2 Likes

Well calling at 10am NYC time I got ‘call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and try again’. Sounded like a generic message for number not in service.

I’ll try again at 2pm but maybe we should reevaluate what we have and see if the number is correct.

2 Likes

Did we put the numbers in order of appearance of the puzzles in the document? That’s helped us in the past.

2 Likes

Yep.

One thing that could be different though is the Runaway Leinster one.

4 Likes

Why’s that exactly?

2 Likes

Because the Runaway Skyscraper wasn’t a series, it was just one of over 1500 stories Leinster wrote. There is a book that took 8 of his classic stories (which I think is how Leigha got 8) but it’s possible that the number is something else.

3 Likes

My guess for what’s wrong is.

A woman with an opal face, under stars (which are misplaced)
told the pianist he’d be late, if the keys don’t make it to the gates.

I guessed this was 88 for the number of keys on a piano, but there’s nothing specific to grand central station in that answer.

Edit: Grand Central station has 44 platforms and 67 tracks. Either of those could fit into the 2 digits we need for the phone number. I guess gates could equal platforms?

2 Likes

Yeah could be that too, could really be any lol. I just couldn’t find anything that said Runaway Skyscraper had 8 stories in the series. It could also be the Nath’l Fisher one because I didn’t figure out the chemist part.

There was a piano in the Campbell Apartment in Grand Central Terminal but it could maybe be suggesting the number has to do with the gates, like you said - edit: though gate is actually singular in the riddle.

2 Likes

Actually you’re right. I don’t see 8 stories in a runaway skyscraper series. Bother.

2 Likes

@kelsey her’s how I arrived at 8.
From Wikipedia

The Runaway Skyscraper and Other Tales from the Pulps, Wildside Press, August 2007.

"The Runaway Skyscraper", Argosy, February 22, 1919
"The Gallery Gods", Argosy, August 21, 1920
"The Street of Magnificent Dreams", Argosy, August 5, 1922
"Nerve", Argosy, June 4, 1921
"Stories of the Hungry Country: The Case of the Dona Clotilde"
"Morale", Astounding, December 1931
"Grooves", Argosy, October 12, 1918
"Footprints in the Snow", All Story Weekly, June 7, 1919

To try to count every story he ever wrote would be a mess. For starters, do we just count the stories he wrote as Leinster?, He had several pseudonyms Plus it would give us too many numbers to work with. We have six clues that have to end up giving us ten numbers. You see what I mean?.
I’m not saying I’m certain 8 is correct, It could absolutely be wrong. It just seemed to make the most sense to me in terms of what we’re looking for.

2 Likes

I’m skimming “The Runaway Skyscraper” in hopes that it tells how many floors the skyscraper has. It may be that that is the number we need.

2 Likes

I read the first two thirds of the story before giving up. I didn’t see a number of floors in there, but I could have missed it.

Was a fun read mostly for the anachranisms though. Any story where the hero asks a group of office workers ‘How many of you have guns in your offices?’ and a bunch of people say raise their hands is a good time waiting to happen. One guy even had his shotgun with him!

3 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t find anything either. The only thing that might be important would be the number of books (“stories”) written by the those in the building. 87 out of 2000 wrote about their experience. Not sure if that helps us with the passage:

“Runaway Leinster turned the pages in science-fiction’s early stages.
Inside there’s more than single stories, but how tall are its shining glories?”

But I agree, the anachronisms were fun to read. “They’ve become panic-stricken!”

2 Likes

Here’s something troubling me. Don’t all of these clues center around a clock in some way or other? Except, where’s the clock in the Leinster couplet?

The clocks all run backwards in that story, is there a famous backwards running clock in NY?

4 Likes

Perhaps there is?
I found this clock but it may not be right. I’ll keep looking into it I guess!

3 Likes

That’s a great point. All the clocks exploded because their springs wound too tight from going backward in time. So like you said, maybe there’s a backward clock or a clock that exploded?

2 Likes